Twin Peaks season 3

..and why not?
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Aug 2017, 21:46

PENK wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:The biggest thing for me has been watching 10 minute recap clips that just go over what happened in the episode because sometimes there is a lot going on. Certainly the show is mindful that this sort of thing is available now so you can be more complicated and daring.

The best resource I've found is the MUBI recaps. The guy writing those seems to have a really keen eye and a skill for making the same oddball connections as Lynch.

This week he remarked that the electrical conduit through which Cooper re-entered the real world back at the start had the numbers "3" and "15" above it: a signal perhaps that this episode (series 3 episode 15) was the one in which he would finally wake up?

He also makes some other numerical connections, for example that Jeffries' motel room and Mockney Freddie's cell are both numbered 8...

https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/tag/Twin%20Peaks%20Recap

Thanks for that. I don't really go into the whole numerology thing but this looks like it confirms that Cooper really is back.

Yeah baby!!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 24 Aug 2017, 17:23

PENK wrote:
It brought a tear to my eye to see Big Ed and Norma together at last, even though their romance storyline was never of much interest first time round.

*sniff*, indeed.

PENK wrote:I for one could barely make out most of the dialogue in that scene.

Sometimes I watch the show with the captions on, even though dialogue such as this is deliberately obscure. There's a lot of detail that would otherwise escape me that's revealed that way. Did you hear what was going on in the next room in episode 13 just before Tom Sizemore's character showed up at the Fusco Brothers' office, right after they threw out the fingerprint info? I never would have made that out.

(having trouble finding it on Youtube though)
Last edited by Snarfyguy on 25 Aug 2017, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 25 Aug 2017, 23:22

I am up to 9 on this and I think I have cracked it;nuclear weapons testing allowed a white thing to spew other dimensional killer tramps on to Earth, this was spotted by Lurch and a woman with bad make up so he shat a golden Laura Palmer Christmas tree decoration out of his head that they sent down a saxophone to Earth to stop the killer tramps.
Simples.

Nonsense isn't it.

Look at the King, Look at the King, Look at the King the King the King
The King is in the altogether, the altogether, the altogether
He's altogether as naked as the day that he was born.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 29 Aug 2017, 09:07

So... finally!

A list of things I thought fit to comment on this week:

Interesting to note that as Good Coop finally woke up - and in some style - some of the show's more amoral characters were offed. Richard Horne seemed to be a dead end while at least Tim Roth and Jennifer Jason Leigh were amusing, but they also didn't seem to have much point. Kyle McLachlan, though, is such a star. It's a shame that his career went so wonky in the '90s.

The Diane thing. So is the real one gone? I guess we never meant to meet her, although she was doing her darnedest to get out from within the "Tulpa".

Nice that Coop and the One-Armed Man will send a new Dougie (if my interpretation is correct). Was it a lock of hair that Coop gave to Gerard? Will the new Dougie retain some of Good Coop's nobler qualities?

I love the Mitchum brothers. They have been amazing in the second half of the series after seeming to be rote supporting characters early on.

So Audrey's in the loony bin? I quite enjoyed the Eddie Vedder song, though before I realised it was him I thought it was the lovechild of Keifer Sutherland and Ron Swanson.

The special effects on the Dougie and Diane Tulpa's disintegrations: are they deliberately rubbish?

It's quite good the way that they suddenly seem to be tying the random elements into the overall plot: Jerry's addled ramble through the woods leading him to witness Bad Coop and (his great-nephew, of course!) Richard, for example.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Aug 2017, 11:57

PENK wrote:
Nice that Coop and the One-Armed Man will send a new Dougie (if my interpretation is correct). Was it a lock of hair that Coop gave to Gerard? Will the new Dougie retain some of Good Coop's nobler qualities?

Does that mean they can churn out good and bad doppelgangers at will?

PENK wrote: The special effects on the Dougie and Diane Tulpa's disintegrations: are they deliberately rubbish?

I wondered about that through the whole series. The SFX have mostly being very rudimentary to say the least. Maybe lynch doesn't know fully what's at his disposal when it comes to SFX but it still works for me.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 29 Aug 2017, 19:02

The shriek of ecstasy that went up in our house was fairly loud.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 29 Aug 2017, 22:56

I am the FBI. Xx
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Aug 2017, 23:09

Tremendous stuff. We watched it once then watched it again straight away
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 29 Aug 2017, 23:48

Us too!
Nikki Gradual wrote:

joels344

Postby joels344 » 30 Aug 2017, 11:42

That episode was fantastic and just as mind-bending as Part 8. I have a fan theory on the ending, which is probably incorrect because I'm usually not very competent in making predictions, especially regarding the work of David Lynch. Here's my strange Part 16 ending theory:

But have we been experiencing a TV series within a TV series since S1 of Twin Peaks? Lynch has been playing with the whole idea of constructed reality since his career began. He really went in-depth with it for Mulholland Drive and Inland Empire. So, it's certainly not outside of his cinematic interests. It's possible the ending shot of Audrey Horne was not of any hospital room or her in a coma (Lynch was distinct in showing us what a coma scene looks like Dougie Jones) but could it have been her in a dressing room (no make-up, mirror, and inside a heavily illuminated white room) for a scene in the some television series possibility titled 'Twin Peaks.' Maybe the Roadhouse scenes were taking place in her head due to the psychological overwork of acting in this television drama for 25 years. Similar to how people often dream of work. We had that "Audrey's Dance" sequence which was essentially breaking the fourth wall due to that being a track from the original OST i.e., being a track from the television series she's acting in. Then again, it's probably just her trapped inside one of the lodges, placed there by Evil Coop and will now be saved by Dale Cooper.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Aug 2017, 12:53

I don't think that's it but it's a nice idea.

It’s all starting to pay off now.

Loved Jerry Horne turning up at the beginning. One of those random moments where things converge in the Twin peaks universe.

I could hardly breathe for the whole Diane sequence. Loved the whole duality thing going on, the internal battle between what is (perhaps) left of good Diane and what was under Evil Coops influence. I thought Laura Dern killed it as she has all season. Is Diane dead? Coop took her to the “gas station” which you would have to assume was the convenience store so is she in fact in the lodges? Did she perhaps manage to make to the white lodge or the purple zone? I think this opens up the possibility that the Asian lady who helped Coop back in episode 3 and who is now in the jail cell could be connected to Diane.

I really enjoyed Roth and Leigh as the hitmen.

The Cooper scene was marvellous with just the right amount of cheese (the music, I AM THE FBI). Perfect and nice that a better Dougie will presumably be sent back. Naomi Watts has been great.

Is Audrey a tulpa like Diane? She seems too helpless. Is she is in the lodge? A nuthouse? Is Coop going to end up saving her?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 30 Aug 2017, 13:02

Goat Boy wrote:I think this opens up the possibility that the Asian lady who helped Coop back in episode 3 and who is now in the jail cell could be connected to Diane

And Diane said something along the lines of "I'm at the sheriff's station", didn't she?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Aug 2017, 14:02

PENK wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I think this opens up the possibility that the Asian lady who helped Coop back in episode 3 and who is now in the jail cell could be connected to Diane

And Diane said something along the lines of "I'm at the sheriff's station", didn't she?

For a second I thought it was Jocelyn Packard, because we're (I'm) not sure what being trapped in a drawer knob means. But then surely one of the guys that found her would have recognized her.

On a side know that guy who's drooling and repeating everything, I just have a feeling he's more than just a side show.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Aug 2017, 14:10

She did yes. It's a bit garbled but she repeats it. Whether Diane is the Asian lady, I dunno. It's certainly on the table now

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Aug 2017, 14:34

The Great Defector wrote:

PENK wrote: The special effects on the Dougie and Diane Tulpa's disintegrations: are they deliberately rubbish?

I wondered about that through the whole series. The SFX have mostly being very rudimentary to say the least. Maybe lynch doesn't know fully what's at his disposal when it comes to SFX but it still works for me.

It's clearly deliberate. It jarred with me at first but I like it now.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 30 Aug 2017, 15:32

Rather Terry Gilliam, we thought.
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Aug 2017, 19:20

Wonder what Cope thought of it.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 31 Aug 2017, 20:33

I saw an interview with the actress Amy Shiels, who plays Candie, and she said she thought that the backstory for her character was that the Mitchum Bros. had saved her from something horrible and become her protectors. At the time (after just her first or second appearance), thaI wasn't sure I agreed, but of course she knew more about the show than I did. In ep 16 after a character tells the Mitchum Bros "I can tell that you gentlemen have hearts of gold", she beams "They REALLY do!" That was one of many sweet moments in the latest.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 01 Sep 2017, 01:51

Candie is just too damn adorable. But I got the impression they had saved her which plays well into Coop's thoughts of them. I've loved the addition of the Mitchum Brothers.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Sep 2017, 02:03

Irish actress as well.

Return to “Screenadelica”