Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Dr Markus

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Aug 2017, 13:31

The Dark Tower

Run of the mill kinda show if I'm being honest. I have a feeling it skimmed over the book rather than make a proper effort. McConaughey seemed to be enjoying himself more than concentrating on his acting which made him more watchable. Elba was watchable as always. The end seemed rushed and didn't give a full importance to the protecting of the said dark tower.

Good to kill an hour and a half, but that's about it.

Discovering Katheryn Winnick was a nice surprise.

Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Aug 2017, 14:13

The Write Profile wrote:It's the film that set Clooney on the path to becoming a major movie star because, well, who wouldn't want to be George Clooney in Out of Sight? Handsome, suave, funny and totally at ease with himself, he pretty much sets everything up in the opening scene ("is this your first time being robbed?"), where he flirts and convinces the teller to hand over the money without breaking a sweat. He may have had more interesting roles subsequently, but this is the one that really fit him down to a tee. As an aside, how gorgeous was Jennifer Lopez in this? She was never better- or crucially, more adult- than she was in this film. I can't think of any others which knew how to use her quite like this film did. I like the fact that Out of Sight is a contest of equals.

And yeah, Elmore Leonard was the man. I'd also add the first season of Justified (based on an Elmore Leonard short story) to the films you mentioned.

I watched every episode of Justified. I agree with your assessments of Out of Sight. I'm trying to think if I've ever since Jennifer Lopez in anything else...

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Aug 2017, 14:32

Is Justified any good?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 25 Aug 2017, 15:02

Matt Wilson wrote:I've never seen that one. Arkin and Rocco were in Freebie and the Bean which I just reviewed as well.

Yeah, I noticed that and it piqued my interest. I'll watch anything Alan Arkin's in (although it's hard to imagine him as Mexican - he's so NYC/Jewish).

Also

A young Ray Winstone fronting a band made up of ex-Pistols and Clash members?

Diane Lane and Laura Dern in a Slits-type punk band?

I would have said you had to be pulling my leg, but here's Hollywood trying "punk" on for size in a legendarily "lost" film (someone got cold feet and pulled it from distribution - or something, you can look it up if you're interested). Neither as bad as it's supposed to be nor very much good, it's an amusing 90 minutes. Fee Waybill is great as a swell-headed fourth-tier rock star and Black Randy, of the Metro Squad, has a couple of funny cameos. Brent Spiner (later Data of Star Trek TNG) appears as well, and it's directed by legendary pop/rock producer Lou Adler no less.

Aficionados of rock movies will want to catch this, even though it basically kind of sucks.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Aug 2017, 15:39

The Great Defector wrote:Is Justified any good?

Son, I just said I'd seen every episode!

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Aug 2017, 15:57

Matt Wilson wrote:

Son? you owe me some amount of birthday and xmas presents!!!!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Aug 2017, 16:03

The Great Defector wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:

No more ridiculous than a younger man calling an older one "lad."

:D

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Aug 2017, 16:07

Matt Wilson wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:
Matt Wilson wrote:

No more ridiculous than a younger man calling an older one "lad."

:D

Ah big lad, that's my schtick.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 25 Aug 2017, 16:10

I understand, son.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Aug 2017, 16:14

Papa

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Aug 2017, 16:29

Wind River (2017)

A professional tracker (Jeremy Renner) whose job is wildlife control comes upon the frozen body of a young woman on a reservation in Wyoming, and an FBI agent (Elizabeth Olsen) is called in to investigate the apparent murder. She teams up with the tracker to find the culprit(s). Unfortunately for those audience members thinking that an interesting mystery is in store from that premise, or at least a tense man-hunt, our heroes don't actually have all that much problem tracking the bad guys down. Apart from a few tense shoot-out scenes, there isn't all that much dramatic tension. Not much in the way of interesting philosophy either, and the movie's theme of the desolation of the frozen landscape and the damage it does to people's minds and souls seems a bit...obvious. You never feel totally drawn into the world of the reservation, or experience it as a real-life, three-dimensional place, though the location shots (in Utah) are wonderful. And it is a bit of a chore to listen to Jeremy Renner mumble all the way through this one. Still, not entirely without merit.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Aug 2017, 05:48

Sid & Nancy

I watched it a lot in the '80s, but it really is rather exploitative, isn't it? I can see why Rotten dismissed it as crap at the time. Of course, this isn't to discredit the performances of the two leads. I dunno, I still like it, I guess... Sid was a different kind of guy, you know? Sometimes I can't decide if he's worth consideration or not. Despite all the junkie business, I still like him. This reminds me a bit of Stone's The Doors. Both focus perhaps too much on the tawdry aspects of the rock 'n roll lifestyle to the exclusion of anything which would humanize the subjects. Yet, I like them both.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 26 Aug 2017, 16:30

Watching the credits, Randy Newman is listed as screenwriter as well as doing the music.

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 Aug 2017, 23:36

The Royal Tenenbaums

For years I would have told you that Rushmore was the best Wes Anderson film, but I'd probably say this one is now. Everything works, the writing is sharp, the photography is spot on, and the cast is excellent. He had never made an average picture before Tenenbaums, and it's been patchy since, but this one makes the grade.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 27 Aug 2017, 02:37

I like it but I think it has one Wilson too many. I think they should have drawn straws.
uggy poopy doody.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 27 Aug 2017, 06:21

You can never have too many Wilsons.

Image Image
Erin Brockovich & Sex, Lies & Videotape

A Soderbergh double feature. SL&V practically started the indie revolution years before Pulp Fiction. It's still a great movie and I don't know why James Spader didn't become a bigger film star. If you haven't seen it lately do yourself a favor. It holds up. Erin Brockovich was a big success and Roberts won an Oscar. The film gets most of the facts right and it's fairly entertaining. What happened to Soderbergh, anyway? I don't think I've seen one of his pictures in this decade.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 27 Aug 2017, 22:18

Matt Wilson wrote: What happened to Soderbergh, anyway? I don't think I've seen one of his pictures in this decade.

Well, he retired for one thing. :)

But for someone who went on that hiatus he was always awfully busy, and his latest Logan Lucky is getting pretty good reviews.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 28 Aug 2017, 01:30

He's made more films this decade than most directors who haven't retired. The point I was making is that his movies don't seem to matter much anymore. Perhaps Logan Lucky will change that, I dunno.

Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Sex...

Twilight Time has done bang up job with Woody Allen films on blu in the last few years. This is the first of his movies I ever saw, and even if it doesn't quite hold up as well as I'd like, I still love it. A series of vignettes all concerning sex based on the chapter titles of the 1969 Reuben book, it runs the gamut from good to great.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Aug 2017, 12:20

Love this movie, the idea behind it is brilliant. Don't know how the director approached directing the kids about acting out scenes where they're talking about the abuse or it shows them walking down to get abused. Still it has aged well, and Bacon is one of the most underrated actors in Hollywood IMHO.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Aug 2017, 21:20

Really quite enjoyable prequel to a pretty crappy original. The sixties setting seems de rigeur for horror films these days, but this feels quite well-suited to the era, and not just a setting to avoid using mobile phones. Strong performances by the four main cast members and a nice long build up to the action happening, which helps you get under the skin of the main players more. When it comes to the shocks, it's fairly standard Aphex Twin music-video CGI and the like, but the film just feels a step above the low-budget norm.

First watch, and I have to say I didn't particularly enjoy it. The pacing feels wrong, the film is overly long and the film throws you into the action in a confused and pointless way, when you don't know who the characters are or what's going on. It feels a bit like an apology for the three other prequels, too, as if to say, sorry, this would've made more sense as a lead up to A New Hope. The Peter Cushing thing is wrong too, he was a very fine actor, and having his face stitched onto someone without his mannerisms or voice isn't the same thing as having him present. Ick.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “Screenadelica”