Nay
100%
Yay
No votes

Total votes: 2

Dr Markus

The Ronnie Barker Talk

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Aug 2017, 13:30

BBC Comedy today announces that Ben Elton, multi award-winning comedian, novelist, playwright, film maker and creator of classic, world-renowned sitcoms including The Young Ones, Blackadder, The Thin Blue Line and Upstart Crow, will deliver the inaugural The Ronnie Barker Talk on BBC One.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2017/ronnie-barker-lecture

The writer, comedian and film-maker will deliver the inaugural Ronnie Barker Talk on BBC One, a lecture on a comedy theme that has been developed with the approval of Barker’s family.

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/comic-ben-elton-honoured-to-give-first-ronnie-barker-talk-35642693.html

Is the whole idea pretentious or are just the people involved?
I'm not Elton's biggest fan but I can't deny he made some funny shows that defined British comedy. I am going to watch it, but I think I won't be able to make up my mind if it is a bit up its own arse or not.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Rayge

Re: The Ronnie Barker Talk

Postby Rayge » 24 Aug 2017, 13:33

not necessarily a good idea, but I don't think pretentious is the right word
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Aug 2017, 14:46

Wouldn't he be better suited to a talk on abhorrent rock musicals?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Aug 2017, 13:10

Defending Mrs Brown's boys, that must have taken some balls. It wasn't as "up his own arse" as I thought it would be and found myself agreeing with a lot of what he said.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Aug 2017, 17:45

The Great Defector wrote:Defending Mrs Brown's boys, that must have taken some balls

Must have taken serious drugs.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “Screenadelica”