Game of Thrones - series/season 7

..and why not?
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Game of Thrones - series/season 7

Postby KeithPratt » 22 Aug 2017, 12:23

Yeah but without Littlefinger there is no drama at Winterfell. I can't see him dying just yet - there has to be a twist before he goes.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 22 Aug 2017, 13:09

Tactful Cactus wrote:Little Finger will go, true he's the antagonist but now everyone knows he untrustworthy. He has no more currency to manipulate.
I think Arya is now manipulating Sansa against LF (handing her the dagger facing out). Shes making Sansa see that LF needs to die rather than killing him herself.

I don't think so - it strikes me that Arya has genuinely been duped and her anger at Sansa is genuine and heartfelt.

Sam would potentially be a "good" one to go - but with his family gone I can see them bringing more to his role. I'd quite like to see his wife step up a bit as well. Tyrion hasn't had a good storyline for ages, so it might be his time. I don't quite understand the purpose of Jorah since his illness was cured (again, too abruptly), but since they saved him I don't think he's ready to depart yet. Brienne needs her moment with Tormund I think. But she might go shortly after that.

Clearly they will shift to Westeros/Cersei more for the final episode (I actually thought last night's was the last one) so I do wonder about someone like Davos. I would think Jamie would have gone in the previous episode if he was going to go. Generally, I guess they still want a lot of these characters for the final key battles.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 22 Aug 2017, 13:23

Geezee wrote:I don't think so - it strikes me that Arya has genuinely been duped and her anger at Sansa is genuine and heartfelt.

But she also said that family is more important than anything else (in reference to Ned getting dead)
She's angry at Sansa, but she's still family

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 22 Aug 2017, 15:10

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Geezee wrote:I don't think so - it strikes me that Arya has genuinely been duped and her anger at Sansa is genuine and heartfelt.

But she also said that family is more important than anything else (in reference to Ned getting dead)
She's angry at Sansa, but she's still family

I took that as a very thinly veiled threat - ie. Sansa committed the ultimate crime against the family, and hence deserves punishment. It could of course be the one thing that is protecting her from Arya at the moment - but family didn't help Fredo much.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 22 Aug 2017, 17:09

Ah come on - Sansa is no Fredo :D she's grown alot since her maiden days and doesn't deserve death for a mistake she made when she was young and vulnerable. Siblicide is not the Stark way. Arya knows that. Little Finger on the other hand is no Stark and is ripe for stabbing.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 22 Aug 2017, 17:26

Tactful Cactus wrote:Ah come on - Sansa is no Fredo :D she's grown alot since her maiden days and doesn't deserve death for a mistake she made when she was young and vulnerable. Siblicide is not the Stark way. Arya knows that. Little Finger on the other hand is no Stark and is ripe for stabbing.

With a different face, Arya is not a Stark...
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 22 Aug 2017, 20:08

I do think that they are levering things into position for Littlefinger to be dispatched now, but on the other hand he is very close now to ultimate power, having played the long game since the start of series one. I think his eventual plan is to marry Sansa and have her on the Iron Throne. Maybe he'll be by her side as her husband... and maybe, once there's a Littlerfinger there, he'll have her out of the way... is his care for her genuine, or is he just using his past feelings for her mother as yet another tool?

Tyrion is another who could go, as I said: he's grown disillusioned with his new queen, has nowhere left to turn, and his importance to the plot is much diminished. As one of the show's moral compasses, he could be bumped off before all hell breaks loose in the final season.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 22 Aug 2017, 22:46

Euron will definitely die; he's too irredeemably evil to be turned into a hero this late in the game. I'm surprised that he basically vanished from the story since episode 3 or so. I don't care to predict how the Sansa/Arya/Littlefinger plot turns out, but I'm betting that a key part will involve a twist involving Arya's faceless (wo)man power.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 23 Aug 2017, 09:39

Wonder how Bran will figure in all of this. He's always been on the periphery, but if there is a shift elsewhere in the Stark axis it's very plausible that he'll be moved up in the pecking order.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 28 Aug 2017, 15:41

Clegane Bowlstill on.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 29 Aug 2017, 07:08

Poderick's magic cock :lol:
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 29 Aug 2017, 10:19

It's set up pretty much as expected: a very shaky alliance on all parts with one party confirmed as being entirely unreliable, and the Danaerys/John Snow partnership set for a breakdown. I'm beginning to wonder if this is being set up for total annihilation, which would pretty much be unprecedented in TV history, and a statement like that is perhaps something that GoT of all shows is set up pretty well for.

The destruction of the wall was pretty impressive!
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 29 Aug 2017, 11:33

Daenerys will not be convinced of Snow's true parentage until he is burnt alive by a dragon and survives.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 29 Aug 2017, 12:29

From Den of Geek:

Hearing that the little she-wolf has blossomed into a masterful murderer is the closest the Hound will ever come to knowing what it’s like to see his child learn to ride a bike.]
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 29 Aug 2017, 13:32

Flashes of the got brilliance in that episide. Especially the two Cersei scenes. I'm rooting for her, she's remained true to her Lannister self - the world might be annihilated but she's willing to gamble on total destruction in order to reign for generations. Tywin would be proud.

Tyrion outside the bedroom was one of those symbolic moments.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 29 Aug 2017, 15:21

Cersei had the best line, when Dany arrived late. Varys didn't have any lines, to my recollection. I kind of hated Littlefinger's exit. It seemed very anticlimactic.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 29 Aug 2017, 15:50

pcqgod wrote:Cersei had the best line, when Dany arrived late. Varys didn't have any lines, to my recollection. I kind of hated Littlefinger's exit. It seemed very anticlimactic.

I thought the dialogue between Littlefinger and Sansa which preceded it was great - where he advises her about thinking the worst. In many ways, it seemed to me that this was taking this storyline to a much more interesting place. But it then jumps too quickly to the twist, and it misses out on far too many things that clearly must have happened in between. I'm guessing Rickon must have played a big role in the twist with the revelation that he could see Littlefinger's betrayal. But it still begs the question over how much Sansa and Arya genuinely were being duped by his machinations, or whether that this outcome had always been planned, especially considering that all the other charges that led to his execution were old news and well-known.

As someone said - this kind event would normally have been a climactic finish to an episode - in this season, they are packing so much in that you are luck if these kinds of things lead to an ad break.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 29 Aug 2017, 21:12

Geezee wrote:As someone said - this kind event would normally have been a climactic finish to an episode - in this season, they are packing so much in that you are luck if these kinds of things lead to an ad break.

And what was the climactic finish to this episode - the fall of the Wall - was something that in previous series might have been made into a whole episode, so momentous and spectacular it was.

I enjoyed the action of this series and there were some great lines and some satisfying resolutions, but I do think that the series has sacrificed a lot of its edge and intrigue and settled into fan-pleasing predictability to an extent. All the major players seemed to be heading towards rather pre-ordained resolutions, ending with the big pow-wow in the final episode, and there is none of the random element that we saw before.

Fortunately the path is not clear for the final series and it's difficult to see the fate of many characters. It does seem inevitable that Cersei will be offed - she is the "bad" one while Jon is the "good" one and Dany seems to be reining in her wilder tendencies to join him on the "right" side - but for many of the other cast, things are now up in the air. I think that Jamie's tale is the most intriguing now that he has finally abandoned his sister.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 29 Aug 2017, 21:42

New season arrives in early 2019! Wowzers, we have a long wait ahead. Judging by Twitter reaction the global consensus seems to be that the new fast-paced GOT is bad. So hopefully they'll return to something more cerebral for s7b

What seems deliberate is that most characters are kept alive for the final season -- maybe because they haven't figured out what to do yet and need to keep all options open

I think its all Tyrions story, at the end he'll be the King of the new world

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 31 Aug 2017, 10:52

PENK wrote:
Geezee wrote:As someone said - this kind event would normally have been a climactic finish to an episode - in this season, they are packing so much in that you are luck if these kinds of things lead to an ad break.

And what was the climactic finish to this episode - the fall of the Wall - was something that in previous series might have been made into a whole episode, so momentous and spectacular it was.

I enjoyed the action of this series and there were some great lines and some satisfying resolutions, but I do think that the series has sacrificed a lot of its edge and intrigue and settled into fan-pleasing predictability to an extent. All the major players seemed to be heading towards rather pre-ordained resolutions, ending with the big pow-wow in the final episode, and there is none of the random element that we saw before.

Fortunately the path is not clear for the final series and it's difficult to see the fate of many characters. It does seem inevitable that Cersei will be offed - she is the "bad" one while Jon is the "good" one and Dany seems to be reining in her wilder tendencies to join him on the "right" side - but for many of the other cast, things are now up in the air. I think that Jamie's tale is the most intriguing now that he has finally abandoned his sister.

I can well imagine that Danaerys will turn dark - she already has that tendency, and with an inevitable confrontation with John Snow in the works, I think it could be leading up to some pretty ugly changing of allegiances.

I read somewhere that they apparently did cut a very important scene from the final episode that explained the Littlefinger twistmuch more - apparently Arya (or Sansa, can't remember which now) goes to her brother to get some advicebefore pulling the trigger on her sister, and he gives her a preview of what he sees about Littlefinger. So it does seem that they were genuinely at each other's throats until the very last minute. It's perhaps understandable why they left this out - it would have left out a lot of the drama, and of course they have done lots of this in the past, leaving tonnes of clearly very critical conversations that must have taken place out in the lead up to other famous twists/intrigues to maximise dramatic effect. But it did seem a bit more forced/predictable in this instance.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Screenadelica”