..and why not?
Davey the Fat Boy

Millennials Don't Really Care About Classic Movies

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 17 Aug 2017, 12:45

“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Tactful Cactus

Re: Millennials Don't Really Care About Classic Movies

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 Aug 2017, 13:22

I'm guilty. I don't like golden-oldies. My cutoff is probably 1970's and even then it would need to be a great film to watch fully. The old films are too slow and the acting is too hoaky. Its like the actors got their training in vaudeville or something, where everything has to be over-emphasized. Its boring and cringey. Nobody is really like that in the real world.

On the other hand, music is no problem. I used to listen to Louie Armstrong stuff from 1917! Not a bother.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 17 Aug 2017, 13:26

I don't think this is a surprise, it will happen in our life time as well. What we cherish in film/music will seem too old to care about by a generation or two behind us. They will be missing out on great cinema.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 17 Aug 2017, 13:32

Tactful Cactus wrote:I'm guilty. I don't like golden-oldies. My cutoff is probably 1970's and even then it would need to be a great film to watch fully. The old films are too slow and the acting is too hoaky. Its like the actors got their training in vaudeville or something, where everything has to be over-emphasized. Its boring and cringey. Nobody is really like that in the real world.

I'd take issue with the last point (I mean, it's true, but I don't always want 'the real world'), but - yep, these are my thoughts too.

It's like, I really enjoy bits of The Third Man (or White Heat, or Bringing Up Baby) but the dialogue is nearly always hard to take.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 Aug 2017, 13:42

Maybe I meant something else by “real world” – its not like I want pure realism everytime. I like fantasy, sci-fi, future, historical, hyper-reality, but I want to be convinced. On the old films you can see the seams, the contrivance. And if you look at those old films with rose tinted glasses that doesn’t matter, you look past the seams for all the good the film does. But I can’t.

I’ve been thinking about it recently, I just finished Five Came Home (the documentary). It’s a good companion piece to Dunkirk. And I liked it because I get to see the best bits of those famous old 40's films in context, without the drudgery of actually watching them

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Aug 2017, 13:53

It's a natural thing I guess so I don't have much opinion on it bar saying I think they should watch old movies because there's a tonne of great old films

Tactful Cactus wrote:I'm guilty. I don't like golden-oldies. My cutoff is probably 1970's and even then it would need to be a great film to watch fully. The old films are too slow and the acting is too hoaky. Its like the actors got their training in vaudeville or something, where everything has to be over-emphasized. Its boring and cringey. Nobody is really like that in the real world.

On the other hand, music is no problem. I used to listen to Louie Armstrong stuff from 1917! Not a bother.

Realism be damned. I want to be entertained goddammit! Certainly acting did change over the years so I can understand the stagey aspect in some movies but if you seriously have no interest in movies made from the 40-60s which obviously includes not just Hollywood stuff but loads of great foreign movies from some of the giants of the medium then I think that's a bit sad really. Although I understand you are making a distinction between "golden oldies" so I'm assuming you are referring to strictly Hollywood stuff rather than just dismissing that period entirely.

And you know what, all this realism can be annoying too. People mumbling away, shuffling about and all that shit. Give me Carey Grant and a rollicking good yarn!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 17 Aug 2017, 13:59

THE FILING FEE wrote:

I'd take issue with the last point (I mean, it's true, but I don't always want 'the real world'), but - yep, these are my thoughts too.

It's like, I really enjoy bits of The Third Man (or White Heat, or Bringing Up Baby) but the dialogue is nearly always hard to take.

I'd take issue with the whole thing! But I admire the honesty.
I'd say most modern films, with odd exception, are demonstrably worse than old cinema: Emptier, thematically facile and certainly aesthetically inferior.
Still some people are happy with MacDonalds and that's fine for them I guess. We live in that kind of age.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 Aug 2017, 14:02

Goat Boy wrote:so I'm assuming you are referring to strictly Hollywood stuff rather than just dismissing that period entirely.

Im happy to dismiss the whole period. I’ve never seen a 40’s or 50’s movie I liked or watched more than once. It is completely my loss, but you don’t miss what you never had. Like all of us here I have an appreciation for music history, so Im grateful I have that. I can do without film appreciation.

And you know what, all this realism can be annoying too. People mumbling away, shuffling about and all that shit.

Yea, are we reaching peak-mumble? Peak-realism. Tastes are changing but whatever comes next could be exciting too.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 17 Aug 2017, 14:06

The Modernist wrote:.
I'd say most modern films, with odd exception, are demonstrably worse than old cinema: Emptier, thematically facile and certainly aesthetically inferior.

I find it harder and harder to relate or get invested in films these days. There's few films that stands out for me or make me think "what a fucking film". I seem to often think that film don't offer anything really new, like have films really run out of original ideas? or are original ideas not being made in to film because film companies don't have the balls to do it?

Don't get me wrong I know older films followed suit, with musicals, westerns, gangsters etc but they had the luxury of film being relatively new. So it was still exciting.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 Aug 2017, 14:10

The Modernist wrote:I'd say most modern films, with odd exception, are demonstrably worse than old cinema: Emptier, thematically facile and certainly aesthetically inferior. Still some people are happy with MacDonalds and that's fine for them I guess. We live in that kind of age.

You're as biased as I am Mod! :D

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 17 Aug 2017, 14:21

Film's glory days were the '50s-'70s. There are great things before and since but earlier films now seem stagey and creaky while things grew too empty and flashy afterwards.

It's very understandable that someone who has grown up on the fast, colourful and glossy films of the last 30 years with all their attendant effects and fanfare would find some French thing from the 1930s boring and quaint. If I'm honest I to often find that whatever was innovative and smart about films of that era has faded with time and they don't really hold my interest.

I watch a lot of classic and foreign films but if I'm watching a film with a couple of drinks on a Friday it'll be a more recent thing, preferably with spaceships or the like, as they're easier to watch with the brain disengaged, which is how a lot of people like to watch their films. Often these films are rubbish, but they're easy and accessible.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Aug 2017, 17:43

There's TV to consider as well. Millennials have grown up in a very strong era for TV shows and a poor era for mainstream movies.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Aug 2017, 17:52

PENK wrote:Film's glory days were the '50s-'70s. There are great things before and since but earlier films now seem stagey and creaky while things grew too empty and flashy afterwards.

Yes
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 Aug 2017, 17:53

I suspect aswell that film innovation of the past 30 years have been based on improving CG and special effects, and thats transient. Those films get dated and forgotten alot quicker than a film with a meaningful, original story. TV cares less about CG and maybe thats why it shot forward in public opinion.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Aug 2017, 18:03

I was weaned on "old movies," thanks to my dad, and TV.

Everything's a product of its time, and "old movies" are what they are. There will always be enough film buffs to ensure the past won't be erased or destroyed, so I don't really care if a generation raised on video games can't see the value of anything from x time period. Their loss.

Other thoughts: "studies," such as that which the source article is based on, are worthless. So is the New York Post.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 17 Aug 2017, 18:14

This^

I think 'twas ever thus. Fans of early talkies were happy to leave the silents behind, post-code fans were happy about the imposition of moral decency, 50s fans thought black and white was passe, etc. And through all of these, there was always the smaller cult of people declaring the old ways were better.

Sort of like music fans, then.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Aug 2017, 18:19

toomanyhatz wrote:This^

I think 'twas ever thus. Fans of early talkies were happy to leave the silents behind, post-code fans were happy about the imposition of moral decency, 50s fans thought black and white was passe, etc. And through all of these, there was always the smaller cult of people declaring the old ways were better.

Sort of like music fans, then.

Yes, in some ways. But films are more closely tied to their era and so date much more quickly.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 17 Aug 2017, 18:24

Right, but I think the difference is film fans are more likely to want a representation of an era they're nostalgic for, whereas music fans are more likely to say the pure quality was superior. Plus there's the whole glitz and glamour thing. Old movie fans long for the days when that mattered, while music fans long for a day when the music mattered. I think it's less about a longing for a certain technique.

A generalization to be sure, but I think there's something in it.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Aug 2017, 18:26

I think so, yeah.

I think that - to kids today - 60s songs sound like silly antiques, they're not really interested. And 30s films have the same effect on (some of) us.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Aug 2017, 18:37

Too busy arsing about on their tablets and listening to their grime music.

Tossers

Return to “Screenadelica”