Weird people who go to gigs

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Weird people who go to gigs

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Aug 2017, 14:30

I went to see Blondie last night in Austin.
I was seated (initially)
In front of me, an obese couple who sat with their hands in their laps stoney silent without. He was dressed as though he was inspecting a shed. She had very curly hair. At the start of 'Atomic' he tapped her on the shoulder, did the universal thumb symbol for 'we are leaving' and they both got up silently and walked out.
To my immediate left was a woman in her late thirties who struck up a conversation with me about Garbage, who were supporting. She sat quiet until 'Stupid Girl' came on then lifted up both her hands whenever the hook was played.
When Blondie came on, she lifted up her phone and filmed the entire thing. She never sang, cheered, danced or applauded. Just sat filming and watching through a phone.
Next to her was a woman in her sixties with a girl of about 9 who was wearing heavy dental braces. They sat and watched the first act, a kind of all female Zeppish White Stripes, then disappeared for Garbage. When I nipped out for a drink during Garbage I saw lady and child sat staring directly forwards with their hands in their laps in the foyer. They came back for Blondie and the girl got her colouring book out. They left after two songs.

Then on the other hand, directly behind me was a flamboyant Hispanic guy and his lady friend who was soaked in petunia oil. Once my hands started flying up in glee he grabbed them and did air hand dances with me and then we all three went to an area overlooking the stage near the Fire Escape and boogied like it was 1999.

Tickets were $100. Why do people bother?
Other than my fellow dancers, of course.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Deebank
Resonator

Re: Weird people who go to gigs

Postby Deebank » 12 Aug 2017, 18:44

There's no correct or better way to enjoy anything.
It's nice seeing people doing their own thing, whatever that is.
Reports from Kate Bush ( and Liz Fraser at the RFH) tell of people sat motionless in floods of tears. It's all good.

Each to their own I Say.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Aug 2017, 20:09

Deebank wrote:There's no correct or better way to enjoy anything.
Reports from Kate Bush ( and Liz Fraser at the RFH) tell of people sat motionless in floods of tears. It's all good.

Each to their own I Say.

Get out the colouring in book!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Aug 2017, 20:19

I don't understand the people - whether they're wealthy enough that the tickets are pocket change or they got them for free - who actually stay for an entire show they're clearly not enjoying. Or who view the whole thing through their phones.

Other than that, I'm all for "you be you."
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 12 Aug 2017, 20:34

I remember going to a Killing Joke gig back when I was a student, and in between every song one guy would shout "you're fucking shit", or some same-such message at the drummer. I just don't get what he'd get out of that. On one hand, from a technical perspective, the guy may have been right, on the other hand, the guy's drumming for Killing Joke, so he pretty much has more going for him than a wanker shouting abuse from the crowd.

The weirdest was when I saw Sultans of Ping FC in Nottingham, dunno why, and some guy kept climbing on stage and standing perfectly still. Security would knock him down and discard him, and a couple of minutes later he'd be back up there, motionless.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Aug 2017, 20:38

Each to their own I Say.

You're right. It's almost certainly better to watch a band through a phone, walk out or do colouring. I feel a tiny bit foolish for raising the issue.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 12 Aug 2017, 20:41

^^^^^ great post. Thank you. wrote:

Each to their own I Say.

You're right. It's almost certainly better to watch a band through a phone, walk out or do colouring. I feel a tiny bit foolish for raising the issue.

Excellent I'm glad that's sorted. :)
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Aug 2017, 18:35

And to think of all those gigs where I tried to enhance the experience by getting drunk or dropping a pill or dancing and trying to, you know, actually experience a first hand, heightened connection with the music in the hope of reaching some kind of transcendence when I might as well just have been sat there, sober as a judge, fucking knitting or doing a crossword or something.

God I feel like such a fool
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Aug 2017, 07:54

I would think this is better suited for the "weird dreams" thread in Nextdoorland.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 14 Aug 2017, 16:11

I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs; less interested in the music than in performing in front of a crowd. I have even less regard for people who chat, constantly, during a show -- not so much because they're wasting their own money as that they're wasting mine. All this might be why I usually go alone. That, and that I'm a cheap bastard.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Aug 2017, 16:14

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs; less interested in the music than in performing in front of a crowd..

:shock:

I've read some stuff on here, but I think this might top anything, ever.
People dancing.
To music.

Dr Markus wrote:

coachmaddog

Postby coachmaddog » 14 Aug 2017, 16:18

who declared you normal?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Aug 2017, 16:20

coachmaddog wrote:who declared you normal?

Are you talking to me?

Dr Markus wrote:

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 14 Aug 2017, 16:31

There's dancing shows and there's sitting shows. Minnie's people got confused, is all.

What about THOSE PEOPLE who clap between movements at classical shows? There ought to be a law!!! :x

(just kidding, I really don't care)
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 15 Aug 2017, 01:17

Muskrat wrote:I'm undemonstrative during shows; no matter how much I enjoy them. People who get up and move around ("dance," if they will) strike me as show-offs; less interested in the music than in performing in front of a crowd..

People dancing.
To music.

I know, how bizarre. People playing music in front of large crowds too. Basically show-offs. Just want to perform in front of a crowd.
king of the divan

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 15 Aug 2017, 18:24

mentalist (slight return) wrote:

People dancing.
To music.

I know, how bizarre. People playing music in front of large crowds too. Basically show-offs. Just want to perform in front of a crowd.

And then there's the matter of that infernal tootling. Some guy plays an A, then an E, or maybe it's a B and then a C sharp. If you're lucky, you might get an F suspended. And the singer's all like "words words words."

What's the bloody point?
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Aug 2017, 21:14

Count Machuki wrote:There's dancing shows and there's sitting shows. Minnie's people got confused, is all.

I think everyone was confused - seeing Blondie 30 years after the fact.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Aug 2017, 21:42

sloopjohnc wrote:
Count Machuki wrote:There's dancing shows and there's sitting shows. Minnie's people got confused, is all.

I think everyone was confused - seeing Blondie 30 years after the fact.

Well, we are not all so old that we saw her the first time round dear.

Dr Markus wrote:

coachmaddog

Postby coachmaddog » 18 Aug 2017, 21:45

Are you talking to me?

yep

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Aug 2017, 22:38

coachmaddog wrote:

Are you talking to me?

yep

Super!
Now we've established that, what did your question mean?

Dr Markus wrote:

Return to “Yakety Yak”