Sporting Trivia Quiz * Sporting Trivia Quiz * Sporting Trivia Quiz *Sporting Trivia Quiz *

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: Sporting Trivia Quiz * Sporting Trivia Quiz * Sporting Trivia Quiz *Sporting Trivia Quiz *

Postby Penk! » 10 Aug 2017, 21:33

Nikki Gradual wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:
PENK wrote:
And for a bonus, who recently retired from test cricket with a career average second only to Bradman?

Adam Voges

So Brendan, Adam Voges is the second best Aussie test batsman ever? Agreed?

EDIT: not to take anything away from the fella, but I think this stat really shows the benefit of playing not too many tests and having one mammoth not out score against a woeful West Indian attack. Wasn't he 36 or something when he made his debut?

If you look at his career record, he averages 542 from five tests against the West Indies (in which he played four innings, making three centuries and only getting out once) and indeed 99 from five tests against New Zealand.

His other ten tests were against England, Sri Lanka and South Africa; he averages 20.5 from those matches.

I'm hoping that Root et al can post some similarly preposterous scores against the Windies over the next few weeks!
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Re: Sporting Trivia Quiz * Sporting Trivia Quiz * Sporting Trivia Quiz *Sporting Trivia Quiz *

Postby Penk! » 10 Aug 2017, 21:36

All of which is to say is that the Heifer got that one.

Still nobody has identified all four of the current test batsmen with 50+ averages, though...
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 10 Aug 2017, 21:53

WG Kaspar wrote:Guess who's no3 on the list

Monty Panesar?
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 10 Aug 2017, 22:01

PENK wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:
Adam Voges

EDIT: not to take anything away from the fella, but I think this stat really shows the benefit of playing not too many tests and having one mammoth not out score against a woeful West Indian attack. Wasn't he 36 or something when he made his debut?

If you look at his career record, he averages 542 from five tests against the West Indies (in which he played four innings, making three centuries and only getting out once) and indeed 99 from five tests against New Zealand.

His other ten tests were against England, Sri Lanka and South Africa; he averages 20.5 from those matches.

I'm hoping that Root et al can post some similarly preposterous scores against the Windies over the next few weeks!

Yeah, I remember him crucifying the Windies, I think there was a 270 not out or something which was the score I was referring to, but that does not make him the second best test batsman in history. Or even that year.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 10 Aug 2017, 22:09

Nikki Gradual wrote:
The Red Heifer wrote:
PENK wrote:
And for a bonus, who recently retired from test cricket with a career average second only to Bradman?

Adam Voges

Oh it's preposterous dont get me wrong, I probably wouldn't have remembered if it was a legitimate legend of the game :lol:
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Aug 2017, 08:35

Clue time then:

Kaspar already got Root, Smith and Williamson. Kohli averages 49.6 so could join the club with a couple of big innings.
The fourth name is a pretty established and well-known player, with some 50 tests to his name.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 11 Aug 2017, 09:00

Pujara? Dhawan? Warner? Can't think of anyone else.
I run out of talent

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 Aug 2017, 09:44

One of those three...

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 11 Aug 2017, 09:52

PENK wrote:One of those three...

I know, I inadvertently saw it when looking up the Adam Voges nonsense on cricinfo.
Would never have guessed it, to be honest. I'm sticking with my pisspoor Younis Khan gambit.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Aug 2017, 17:16

Going to throw a question out there before the thread dies.

Only one rugby player has ever played a full premier division club game at The Stoop (Harlequins' ground) in the morning then immediately crossed the A316 and played a full international test match in the afternoon. Who was it?

Lord Rother
Location: breaking the legs of the bastard that got me framed

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Aug 2017, 18:01

Late to this thread myself - no idea about Rugby myself but I'll pop up a football one to help the cause....

5 players have scored 5 goals in Premier League games. Who are they?

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 12 Aug 2017, 19:18

Lord Rother wrote:Late to this thread myself - no idea about Rugby myself but I'll pop up a football one to help the cause....

5 players have scored 5 goals in Premier League games. Who are they?

You're not going to give me Dennis Tueart are you?

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 12 Aug 2017, 23:27

Not on this one.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Aug 2017, 12:48

Shearer. Cole. Aguerro a couple of years back I think.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 13 Aug 2017, 13:11

Diamond Dog wrote:Shearer. Cole. Aguerro a couple of years back I think.

Well, if those three are right, you can add Jermaine Defoe because I read about him doing it yesterday.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Aug 2017, 13:23

Nikki Gradual wrote:

Well, if those three are right, you can add Jermaine Defoe because I read about him doing it yesterday.

And the other one is Berbatov,
Here's a quickie.
In which Olympic Sport are beards banned?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 13 Aug 2017, 13:31

Rayge wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Here's a quickie.

Wrestling?

**overcomes urge to put synchronised swimming**

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 13 Aug 2017, 15:27

Nikki Gradual wrote:
Rayge wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Here's a quickie.

Wrestling?

Nope

right area though
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Lord Rother

Postby Lord Rother » 13 Aug 2017, 17:20

Rayge wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Here's a quickie.

All correct.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 13 Aug 2017, 17:42

Rayge wrote:
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Rayge wrote:

Here's a quickie.

Wrestling?

Nope

right area though

Boxing then.

Return to “Sporting Life”