Springsteen on Broadway

Do talk back
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Springsteen on Broadway

Postby clive gash » 10 Aug 2017, 00:53

http://brucespringsteen.net/broadway/

“I wanted to do some shows that were as personal and as intimate as possible. I chose Broadway for this project because it has the beautiful old theaters which seemed like the right setting for what I have in mind. In fact, with one or two exceptions, the 960 seats of the Walter Kerr Theatre is probably the smallest venue I’ve played in the last 40 years. My show is just me, the guitar, the piano and the words and music. Some of the show is spoken, some of it is sung. It loosely follows the arc of my life and my work. All of it together is in pursuit of my constant goal to provide an entertaining evening and to communicate something of value,” says Springsteen.

“Bruce Springsteen is one of our greatest musical storytellers, and Broadway is built on a beloved tradition of musical storytelling. What a once-in-a lifetime thrill for all of us at Jujamcyn to welcome Bruce home to his rightful place in the Broadway legacy,” says Jordan Roth, President of Jujamcyn Theaters, which owns the Walter Kerr.

The creative team for “Springsteen on Broadway” includes Heather Wolensky (scenic design), Natasha Katz (lighting design) and Brian Ronan (sound design)
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Re: Springsteen on Broadway

Postby The Red Heifer » 10 Aug 2017, 01:10

I dunno, performing a string of concerts on my back patio might be more personal and intimate. Particularly if my wife's in a good mood.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 10 Aug 2017, 09:46

Australians and their euphemisms.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 10 Aug 2017, 10:42

Cunt up you scrotum!
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 10 Aug 2017, 10:46

Fair fuckin' dinkum mate.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 10 Aug 2017, 17:20

I heard he's gonna bring out Matthew Broderick and the cast of Hamilton for 'Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out'
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Aug 2017, 17:24

I'll settle for nothing less than the Rockettes!
uggy poopy doody.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 10 Aug 2017, 20:10

I read his book a couple of years ago and didn't realize he suffered from depression like his father before him. Nice enough guy, and certainly a hard worker, but he ran out of ideas decades ago and has rarely been interesting since Tunnel of Love. Having said that, he was probably the most consistent album maker of the '70s/'80s as each one is considered a classic in some circles.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 10 Aug 2017, 20:24

I've had a few friends who never really liked him come around in a big way these last couple of years.
uggy poopy doody.

Robert

Postby Robert » 11 Aug 2017, 01:32

Although I like some of his music i certainly wouldn't label myself a fan.That said, I have always felt sympathy for the guy, he's just...likeable I guess. I would go to see such
a show for sure.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 11 Aug 2017, 10:09

Matt Wilson wrote:I read his book a couple of years ago and didn't realize he suffered from depression like his father before him. Nice enough guy, and certainly a hard worker, but he ran out of ideas decades ago and has rarely been interesting since Tunnel of Love. Having said that, he was probably the most consistent album maker of the '70s/'80s as each one is considered a classic in some circles.

Agree in part. I still love Devils & Dust, The Rising, The Seeger Sessions, though. There's more, still.

But in particular I find the production values of his latterday work not high. Though Brendon O'Brien did well on two of the three above, he made a mess of Magic and Working On A Dream.

Was it our Pete who once started a thread about how Bruce traded in his gifts for adventurous long songs that had folk and jazz in them (the first two LPs) for ideas that Jon Landau promoted in particular?

And I recall Simon Reynolds providing a nice view on that line "I've Seen The Future Of Rock 'n' Roll And Its Name Is Bruce Springsteen". Born To Run did indeed have many aspects of retro in it.

Here's more on this: https://mcnutt.wordpress.com/2009/01/27 ... an-obrien/
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 11 Aug 2017, 15:05

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
Was it our Pete who once started a thread about how Bruce traded in his gifts for adventurous long songs that had folk and jazz in them (the first two LPs) for ideas that Jon Landau promoted in particular?

I don't buy that theory though, because I don't agree that The Wild, The Innocent, and the E St Shuffle is Springsteen's best. And Landau wasn't whispering in Bruce's ear to write all those songs from '75-on either.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 11 Aug 2017, 15:36

Matt Wilson wrote:
Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:

I don't buy that theory though, because I don't agree that The Wild, The Innocent, and the E St Shuffle is Springsteen's best. And Landau wasn't whispering in Bruce's ear to write all those songs from '75-on either.

Your second remark makes good sense. Well, I rate his second LP very high, but to each his own, of course.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Return to “Yakety Yak”