Seller Remorse

Do talk back
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Seller Remorse

Postby clive gash » 09 Aug 2017, 23:29

What records do you regret getting rid of?

Ever swapped a pile of old favourites for that new thing only to have to buy them all up again six months later?

How about selling a record for a price 50 times less than you could get for it now?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: Seller Remorse

Postby harvey k-tel » 09 Aug 2017, 23:33

I've never sold or traded any of my records. No problem!
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 09 Aug 2017, 23:36

Well, the market is a cruel mistress. Better luck next time.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Aug 2017, 23:39

The Savage Young Gash wrote:How about selling a record for a price 50 times less than you could get for it now?

Oh, man...

Quite a few times. There was a time when it really did seem like the records I like just grew on trees. The incentive to clutch them tightly was not major.

Now? Yeah, there's some records in the (approx.) $100-300 range that I absolutely remember getting for a fiver and either loaning out permanently or just culling to pay bills/reduce clutter. Can't really bring myself to replace them now.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 09 Aug 2017, 23:48

The only ones I can think of are things I lent to people, rather than selling. (The good thing about today's digital/YouTube culture is you don't have to let people borrow albums anymore.) Things that were valuable to me, though the versions might have been somewhat valuable too: original Doors and Love albums, couple of Roxy Musics, Pretty Things twofer, first Grateful Dead album, rainbow Capitol Revolver that I grew up with -- but I can't remember who all I lent them too and they're not coming forward. Nothing huge like BF is talking about above, but just personal copies that had some magic to them that I wish I still had.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 10 Aug 2017, 00:42

Quaco wrote:(The good thing about today's digital/YouTube culture is you don't have to let people borrow albums anymore.)

Yeah, I like that too.

Things that were valuable to me, though the versions might have been somewhat valuable too: original Doors and Love albums, couple of Roxy Musics, Pretty Things twofer, first Grateful Dead album, rainbow Capitol Revolver that I grew up with -- but I can't remember who all I lent them too and they're not coming forward. Nothing huge like BF is talking about above, but just personal copies that had some magic to them that I wish I still had.

It seems just as well that I really trashed records when I was a kid. I'm sure records I got when I was 6 or 7 years old would be unplayable now - and, while I do think things like "my first (second, third...fifth...tenth) guitar" would be cool as hell to have now, there's a guy I know who (and maybe this is endemic of some of his other "issues") has the television on which he watched the Beatles on the Ed Sullivan show on February 9, 1964.

I feel like everything I write about now has some inevitable reference to "line crossing".

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 10 Aug 2017, 00:49

I sold upwards of 50 Heavy metal, Hard Rock and Prog records in the mid 80s as I was a bit hard up for cash come the end of one term.

I have bought back judiciously and certainly haven't replaced things like Samson or the first Rush album.

I think by now I have replaced everything I wanted to get back and I would have probably bought them on CD regardless of whether I'd sold the vinyl or not.
Dancing in the streets of Hyannis

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 10 Aug 2017, 00:58

The Savage Young Gash wrote:Well, the market is a cruel mistress. Better luck next time.

I probably could've made a killing off of Googamooga if I'd had my ducks in a row.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 12 Aug 2017, 15:47

I sold a pile of vinyl albums I considered unworthy about 30 years ago. Many were quite rare and would fetch silly amounts now.

Incidentally, one was the 'Buried Treasure' in this month's MOJO, bought for 25 p or so in a second hand shop in London ca. 1979.

Article here

Still a load of rubbish, though. :lol:
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Return to “Yakety Yak”