What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Do talk back
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: What's your opinion on Father John Misty?

Postby clive gash » 05 Feb 2017, 10:50

mission wrote:http://www.bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=126391&p=3646619&hilit=misty#p3646619

Convince me, should I bother?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

mission

Postby mission » 06 Feb 2017, 13:49

Well, I am not going to be able to convince anybody. I need to convince myself in order to do that and I only really enjoy the theory of the bloke.

He's an interesting character. He sings well. He is riven by contradiction. He is a fake, sincerely peddling fake sincerity, and appears simultaneously amused and appalled by the allegedly post-ironic bind he finds himself in.

He plainly enjoys smoking bucketloads of skunky weed and is living a life the 19-year-old who resides within would have given his left bollock to live.

As for the tunes - well, it's as if Tumbleweeds-era Elton John suddenly woke up in in 2017 and reacted by spending his entire time smoking pot and fucking about on the internet.
Goodness gracious me.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 06 Feb 2017, 14:02

mission wrote:As for the tunes - well, it's as if Tumbleweeds-era Elton John suddenly woke up in in 2017 and reacted by spending his entire time smoking pot and fucking about on the internet.

As good an analogy as you'll find on the internet today :D

HarryIrene

Postby HarryIrene » 06 Feb 2017, 16:49

I like both his albums but i preferred him when he was recording as J.Tillman. I can't really work out who the real person is. A guy i know got me into him after we met him outside of a Fleet Foxes gig in Glasgow and he began a conversation with him about his solo albums. My friend subsequently played me some songs off of Minor Works and i liked them right away. Ended up buying that and its follow up Cancer And Delirium. After that i was a fan and acquired cd re issues of his first 2 solo albums and we went to see him play to a small audience downstairs in a pub touring his next album Vacilando Territry Blues. It was good stuff for someone into Bonnie Prince Billy or the starker areas of Smog's discography. Stayed the course for his next two solo albums for more of the same. He seemed to be a talented guy playing to a small cult audience of guys like me in their late 30's/early 40's who liked the above and Fleet Foxes. A bit like Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon. In a similar way to him he seems to have suddenly re-invented himself and reached a whole new audience. Creating a new persona and a radical shift in musical style as FJM has made him famous and got him a completely new younger audience. I like the records but it seems contrived. He has said that the j. Tillman years were marked by depression and drugs etc and he wanted to shake all that baggage off so maybe the new guy is more true to his current self. I kind of miss the old acoustic downbeat guy but either way he is a very talented singer/songwriter who has re-invented himself as a compelling performer.
Nothing To See Here. Move Right Along

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 09 Aug 2017, 17:52

Had no opportunity yet to see FJM live, but here he is at Roskilde this summer.

Fabulous show, great band, incredible sound... and I'm moved by all the Danes up front knowing his lyrics by heart.

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 09 Aug 2017, 17:53

Neige wrote:Had no opportunity yet to see FJM live, but here he is at Roskilde this summer.

Fabulous show, great band, incredible sound... and I'm moved by all the Danes up front knowing his lyrics by heart.

Cheers for that, Neige!
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 09 Aug 2017, 19:19

Recently struck by a song on the radio called "In Twenty Years or So" that annoyed me in various ways. Despite it being acoustic and intimate, I could still feel the metronome clicking away in the background. The faux-Elton-faux-country singing that emphasizes certain words that don't need emphasizing ("ridiculous", "serious"), as if he is reading the lyrics rather than meaning anything. The stately Pink Floyd pacing which I immediately felt was destined to be 10,000 people's life-changing moment when seen live. (The comments section of the YouTube video would make you think this man is the second coming of Christ.) The modern-day nihilism being transcended by the simple act of sitting having a drink with one's loved one, all so pat. The mention of that Talking Heads song as a totem for this generation's view of what's real (quirky attaining epic proportions/Wes Anderson/all emotions have to be flawed in some way). It's hard to put into words and convey how annoyed I got. It's alright objectively, but it kept striking the wrong chord for me.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 09 Aug 2017, 21:02

I totally see what you mean, Jim :)

The messianic aspect puts me off, but it's also part of what fascinates me. And I like the tunes.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 09 Aug 2017, 21:07

And I completely forgive you! <3

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 09 Aug 2017, 21:47

can't get past the stupid fucking name.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 09 Aug 2017, 21:51

He is no fan of Jeremy Corbyn, going by his Glastonbury performance which was excellent so that is ok with me. Beautiful voice.

http://www.nme.com/news/music/watch-father-john-misty-troll-glastonbury-fans-surprise-jeremy-corbyn-appearance-2095225

https://streamable.com/d3rri#
Last edited by Samoan on 29 Aug 2017, 15:41, edited 1 time in total.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Aug 2017, 10:09

The hipster version of Elton John or David Gray with an English degree. God help us.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 10 Aug 2017, 10:21

The Modernist wrote:The hipster version of Elton John or David Gray with an English degree. God help us.

Or Chris Martin in a cowboy hat.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Aug 2017, 11:16

He actually has digs at hipsters although hipsters are clearly part of his audience. I can understand the objections but he can write a tune, he has talent and he's an interesting character who reveals his flaws, his prejudices and his bullshit in his lyrics. You might not like him but he is human and he's not afraid to reveal this. The last two albums are good.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 10 Aug 2017, 15:47

He's an insufferable prick.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 10 Aug 2017, 15:55

Jumper K wrote:He's an insufferable prick.

Sounds right up my street, where should I start?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 10 Aug 2017, 16:37

The Savage Young Gash wrote:
Jumper K wrote:He's an insufferable prick.

Sounds right up my street, where should I start?

You'll love it all. No doubt.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Aug 2017, 23:57

Quaco wrote:Recently struck by a song on the radio called "In Twenty Years or So" that annoyed me in various ways. Despite it being acoustic and intimate, I could still feel the metronome clicking away in the background. The faux-Elton-faux-country singing that emphasizes certain words that don't need emphasizing ("ridiculous", "serious"), as if he is reading the lyrics rather than meaning anything. The stately Pink Floyd pacing which I immediately felt was destined to be 10,000 people's life-changing moment when seen live. (The comments section of the YouTube video would make you think this man is the second coming of Christ.) The modern-day nihilism being transcended by the simple act of sitting having a drink with one's loved one, all so pat. The mention of that Talking Heads song as a totem for this generation's view of what's real (quirky attaining epic proportions/Wes Anderson/all emotions have to be flawed in some way). It's hard to put into words and convey how annoyed I got. It's alright objectively, but it kept striking the wrong chord for me.

I've only read about him and the songs on this thread are the first things I've heard. Your assessment is exactly what I felt listening to the crap.

His name is stupid too. He is very punchable sounding.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 17 Aug 2017, 04:38

Goat Boy wrote:He actually has digs at hipsters

First thing a hipster does.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Aug 2017, 17:41

Quaco wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:He actually has digs at hipsters

First thing a hipster does.

:lol:

After taking a swig from his can of Pabst Blue Ribbon.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Return to “Yakety Yak”