West Coast punk

Do talk back
bobzilla77

Re: West Coast punk

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 Aug 2017, 02:44

Here is some West Coast Punk for folks who find stuff like Black Flag to be all a bit shouty and macho.

SAN DIEGO

Mexican kids from the SoCal suburbs rewriting garage rock rules.

LA & POINTS SURROUNDING

Absurd, and high energy, but not really that macho. Minutemen said this band helped them out a lot in their formative years.

Two synth players, a drummer and a singer. People who saw em in their day often describe them as "unlike anything they'd ever seen", bands with no guitar were not a common thing in 77.

The singer's a big fan of Mark E. Smith and the guitarist is really into Ornette. They still play regularly and are still great live.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 Aug 2017, 02:54

MORE LA

Randy pops up in a lot of LA punk lore, as one of the founders of Dangerhouse Records, general villain and bringer of extreme cruelty to those that crossed his path. The kind of guy who would invite you backstage, offer you all kinds of drugs and get you so fucked up you couldn't walk, and then hire some derelicts to beat the shit out of you while you're all wasted. His own records are pretty singular for that period, not just in the odball instrumentation, but in their gleeful celebration of awfulness. This love song to Idi Amin is pretty representative ("Idi I know, the jungle was all smiles/ When you fed the missionaries to the happy crocodiles.") GG Allin can only aspire to Randy's level of nihilism.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 01 Aug 2017, 03:03

FRISCO

Relocated from Indiana in 1979 but they made their best two albums while San Francisco residents, which most of them still are. They have one of my favorite guitarists of all time in Bruce Anderson.

I don't know much about this crew except that their singer Ricky Williams died very young.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 01 Aug 2017, 07:07

bobzilla77 wrote:FRISCO

Relocated from Indiana in 1979 but they made their best two albums while San Francisco residents, which most of them still are. They have one of my favorite guitarists of all time in Bruce Anderson.

I don't know much about this crew except that their singer Ricky Williams died very young.

Tuxedomoon, the Mutants and Flipper were anti-Black Flag like too.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Aug 2017, 21:43

We're leaving a day late on vacation so my son's best friend can go to his first concert - Green Day at the Oakland Coliseum. The opening band is Catfish and the Bottlemen, a Welsh band, opening up.

It just seems funny that Green Day has reach arena status. I'd go see bands like this at really crappy clubs or warehouses like Green Day started in playing, Gilman.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 02 Aug 2017, 22:12

Green Day do the commercial thing very well. I'm not a massive fan and never was but, they're still making pretty much the same records they'd be making for Lookout. I can respect it.

I liked that Billie Joe and Lars from Rancid just formed a band to make a single benefitting 924 Gilman St. Good for them, doing something fun to help out their old pals.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Aug 2017, 16:06

Ok, Double Nickels is going up in my estimation every time I listen to it
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 08 Aug 2017, 16:08

They take a little effort, but the Minutemen really stand out as being different than your average punk/post punk band, and Double Nickels is my favorite of theirs.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 08 Aug 2017, 16:25

Goat Boy wrote:Ok, Double Nickels is going up in my estimation every time I listen to it

Good lad.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Aug 2017, 16:26

Wasn't impressed by Flipper mind
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Aug 2017, 16:28

Not even 'Ha Ha Ha'?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 08 Aug 2017, 16:30

That's not on Generic Flipper, is it?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 08 Aug 2017, 16:33

erm

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 08 Aug 2017, 20:54

Goat Boy wrote:That's not on Generic Flipper, is it?

Nope.

I think of Flipper as one of the true "singles bands" of punk. Partly because that stuff is so extreme it's a bit taxing listening to it for 45 minutes straight.

I would suggest Sex Bomb Baby, a compilation of their non-LP singles & compilation cuts. And I recommend not necessarily listening to it all at once.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Aug 2017, 23:35

THE FILING FEE wrote:
I've tried with X a thousand times - you always get Wilson or hatz talking about how all four albums are equally great - but there's hardly a decent song on any of 'em. Apart from 'White Girl'! 'White Girl' is excellent.

Have never and would never say this. The first two, maybe.

And "White Girl" is their best song ever by miles. That I HAVE said.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 12 Aug 2017, 23:40

THE FILING FEE wrote:
I always have to pick and choose from Double Nickels..., but some of it really is great.

I'm going to give What Makes A Man..a go, then.

The EP in between, Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat, is better than either and contains what I think might be their greatest song:

Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Aug 2017, 07:55

bobzilla77 wrote:I think of Flipper as one of the true "singles bands" of punk. Partly because that stuff is so extreme it's a bit taxing listening to it for 45 minutes straight.

I would suggest Sex Bomb Baby, a compilation of their non-LP singles & compilation cuts. And I recommend not necessarily listening to it all at once.

Ditto - good assessment.

sloopjohnc

Re:

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Aug 2017, 07:59

bobzilla77 wrote:Green Day do the commercial thing very well. I'm not a massive fan and never was but, they're still making pretty much the same records they'd be making for Lookout. I can respect it.

I liked that Billie Joe and Lars from Rancid just formed a band to make a single benefitting 924 Gilman St. Good for them, doing something fun to help out their old pals.

That would be the 3rd offshoot for Billie Joe then. They have GD, their garage band, the Foxboro Hot Tubs, their '80s band, the Network, and the other guys play in related projects.

My son's friend wore some GD merch he got at show - a Green Day baseball cap the same colors as Oakland A's, green and yellow.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 14 Aug 2017, 09:21

toomanyhatz wrote:The EP in between, Buzz or Howl Under the Influence of Heat, is better than either and contains what I think might be their greatest song:

The Ballot Result version is fine too

Go to 15.00 for Bermuda which includes 2 of my favourite guitar solos.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Aug 2017, 19:54

bobzilla77 wrote:Here is some West Coast Punk for folks who find stuff like Black Flag to be all a bit shouty and macho.

Shout out for Urinals/100 Flowers

which actually does get a bit shouty.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Return to “Yakety Yak”