Excalibur

..and why not?
Dr Markus

Excalibur

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Aug 2017, 11:58

I was watching an Irish made documentary on it last night, that kinda got me wanting to watch it. Is it worth watching or is it shite?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbly

Re: Excalibur

Postby Jimbly » 01 Aug 2017, 12:05

it's great with a mostly fantastic cast, filmed in Ireland. It's well worth watching. I was talking about it yesterday with our David.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 01 Aug 2017, 15:08

I've not seen it for a long time but I loved it growing up.

It's got a real visual splendour.

Plus Helen Mirren getting her kit off
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 01 Aug 2017, 16:16

The one with Nicol WIlliamson? He's great, but I don't remember the movie too well (saw it when it came out).
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Aug 2017, 16:24

Goat Boy wrote:I've not seen it for a long time but I loved it growing up.

Boorman's daughter had to get her freak on in the film. Imagine directing your daughter lying naked on how to do a sex scene. :shock:
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Aug 2017, 16:46

I'm not very objective about it. John Boorman is one of my favorite movie directors. I think his movies are almost uniformly terrific or at least of interest. It was a great success at the time but it's easy to see why people have problems with it now.

It's pretty earthbound in terms of the sex & fighting and what have you but you suspect he had "hero of a thousand faces" and some Jung books laying around when he wrote it. I find the cast uniformly excellent but it's a pretty pointy headed approach. ultimately, that's what I like about it. I think he's saying something about man turning his back on nature. a weird thing to do in a King Arthur film it's really stylized both acting wise and visually.

I think it's terrific but I know people who like that sort of stuff have a lot more to choose from nowadays.
uggy poopy doody.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 01 Aug 2017, 16:47

The Great Defector wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I've not seen it for a long time but I loved it growing up.

Boorman's daughter had to get her freak on in the film. Imagine directing your daughter lying naked on how to do a sex scene. :shock:

yeah, and then what he put his son through in Emerald Forrest. you gotta wonder.
uggy poopy doody.

Postby ... » 01 Aug 2017, 18:15

Snarfyguy wrote:The one with Nicol WIlliamson? He's great, but I don't remember the movie too well (saw it when it came out).

Poor old NW - the definitive screen Merlin in my book. Sad that his reputation for being difficult to work with on set meant his career pretty much dribbled away after The Bofors Gun and this.

While a couple of years since I saw it, E is still worth two hours or so of anyone's time. As are the splendid Deliverance and Point Blank from earlier in his career. D's setting in the backwoods gives it a wonderfully timeless look and feel that doesn't really seem to date.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Aug 2017, 18:31

Boorman wrote a great book mainly about the making of The Emerald Forrest called Money into Light. He also covered his other films including a lengthy part on Excalibur.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Aug 2017, 18:47

Snarfyguy wrote:The one with Nicol WIlliamson? He's great, but I don't remember the movie too well (saw it when it came out).

One director called him the next Brando, never heard of the guy until this film.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Aug 2017, 18:48

Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:
yeah, and then what he put his son through in Emerald Forrest. you gotta wonder.

Then he's getting his karma against us with his stupid motorcycle shows with Ewan McGregor.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 01 Aug 2017, 20:28

I don't think it's aged very well. The actors really ham it up, also. Some cool costumes, though.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Postby ... » 02 Aug 2017, 13:43

Not sure if you can get this outside Ireland, but if you like the movie, the doc is quite interesiting

https://www.rte.ie/player/ie/show/excal ... /10757744/

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 02 Aug 2017, 13:48

It's where Anaal Nathrakh got their name from, too, black metal trivia fans.

Can't remember much about it, beyond the nudity and silly costumes now.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 02 Aug 2017, 15:21

One director called him the next Brando, never heard of the guy until this film.

Huh. Brando *glows* animal magnetism, whereas Nicol Williamson ... mmmmnnnneeehh. Not so much.

I was a fan of the film; had the poster up in my bedroom an all that. The women were beautiful, and I've always liked Charlie Boorman (well, since Emerald Forest) *sigh*. I haven't seen it recently so I don't know if you'd like it. I suspect it's aged.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Aug 2017, 16:20

Nicol Williamson (14 September 1936 – 16 December 2011) was a British actor and singer, once described by John Osborne as "the greatest actor since Marlon Brando".

Not gonna lie, I never heard of John Osborne.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 02 Aug 2017, 16:27

that's okay. He's never heard of you.

Brando? I'd compare Nicole to somebody like Alister Sim before I'd compare him to Brando. Still, by all accounts his reputation for making people hold their breath came on the stage. I've seen the "Hamlet" film and he's pretty commanding but I suspect that's why the comparison was made.

Baby Boomer Americans who rotted their brains out watching television will know him from a "Colombo" episode where he plays a pop psychologist or some such. . He's plays a murdering grade A narcissist but, naturally, gets all paranoid when Colombo keeps sniffing around too often. I found him to be a VERY commanding actor. Hammy maybe but he could back it up with skillz.
Last edited by Sneelock on 02 Aug 2017, 19:17, edited 2 times in total.
uggy poopy doody.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 02 Aug 2017, 17:10

Nicol Williamson (14 September 1936 – 16 December 2011) was a British actor and singer, once described by John Osborne as "the greatest actor since Marlon Brando".

Not gonna lie, I never heard of John Osborne.

and So Sally can't wait.....
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Aug 2017, 17:17

Classic Rock Sneelock wrote:that's okay. He's never heard of you.

:(

Return to “Screenadelica”