RIP John Heard

..and why not?
Sneelock

Re: RIP John Heard

Postby Sneelock » 28 Jul 2017, 19:19

Terrence Stamp is absolutely TOPS in that. Yes, I liked that one very much.
uggy poopy doody.

Postby ... » 30 Jul 2017, 08:16

Lovely anecdote about the distinctly unstarry Mr H from the letters page in yesterday's Guardian

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/j ... is-laundry

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jul 2017, 16:57

Thinking about John Heard and the one great role he got has made me think of others in similar predicaments. Actors who could've had Oscar noms or possible wins had they had better offers/scripts. I used to think Nick Nolte fit that category, but now he's had three nominations. I thought that about Matt Dillon and Mickey Rourke as well but then they had their little moments. All through the eighties Sean Penn demonstrated time and time again that he could've been a contender, and now he's got two Oscars. Who else would we put in this category?

Remember Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club? He never had a good role after that, I don't think. And I'm not putting him in the same class as the actors mentioned above, only that he stood out more than any other cast member in that film and never really went anywhere.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 30 Jul 2017, 21:07

good notion. I'll come back after a think
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 30 Jul 2017, 21:17

Timothy Hutton didn't get the roles you would expect after his Oscar at 20.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 30 Jul 2017, 21:33

Very good choice. I remember him being pretty good in next year's Taps as well. Also the Falcon and the Snowman.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Aug 2017, 10:28

Malcolm McDowall fantastic performances early on his career. Settled for schlock and easy money.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Postby ... » 01 Aug 2017, 11:42

Jeemo wrote:Malcolm McDowall fantastic performances early on his career. Settled for schlock and easy money.

He was still capable of the odd great performance though - I'm thinking of his TV role as the gangster in Our Friends in the North, a part he then pretty much repeated in the movie Gangster No 1 a couple of years later. Aside from that it's hard to think of anything that great after the wonderful O Lucky Man from 72/73.

There are also quite a few actors who win Academy Awards who end up doing nothing else of any real note - Adrian Brody and Cuba Gooding Jr being two recent examples that spring to mind. Isn't there supposed to be some kind of "Curse of the Oscar Winner" or something?

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Aug 2017, 12:06

fueryIre wrote:
Jeemo wrote:Malcolm McDowall fantastic performances early on his career. Settled for schlock and easy money.

He was still capable of the odd great performance though - I'm thinking of his TV role as the gangster in Our Friends in the North, a part he then pretty much repeated in the movie Gangster No 1 a couple of years later. Aside from that it's hard to think of anything that great after the wonderful O Lucky Man from 72/73.

There are also quite a few actors who win Academy Awards who end up doing nothing else of any real note - Adrian Brody and Cuba Gooding Jr being two recent examples that spring to mind. Isn't there supposed to be some kind of "Curse of the Oscar Winner" or something?

yes he was great in them. he spoke very well about getting back to proper roles then etc. then returned to the shite he was churning out.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Postby ... » 01 Aug 2017, 15:01

Jeemo wrote:
fueryIre wrote:

yes he was great in them. he spoke very well about getting back to proper roles then etc. then returned to the shite he was churning out.

The other oasis in the desert of MMcD's take the money and run career was his HG Wells opposite the always excellent David Warner's Jack the Ripper in TIme After Time

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 02 Aug 2017, 03:03

fueryIre wrote:The other oasis in the desert of MMcD's take the money and run career was his HG Wells opposite the always excellent David Warner's Jack the Ripper in TIme After Time

YES

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Return to “Screenadelica”