No votes
f) Never heard it, never want to.
13%

Total votes: 15

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Re: The Buckingham Nicks album......

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Jul 2017, 17:15

yomptepi wrote:Speak for yourself Wilson. I would never admit to being a fan of any Rumours era FM. I do like Tusk though

Hmmm.... Most of us would say that Tusk is a Rumours era FM album, Michael.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Jul 2017, 17:27

On my weekend record store trips in high school, I used to see this album cover in the racks before Fleetwood Mac made it big. It was fucking ubiquitous and I always wondered why because they were virtual unknowns. At the time, I didn't know they had both graduated from Menlo-Atherton High School, a high school the town south from mine. I hated the album cover and was tempted to buy it once both joined Fleetwood Mac, but didn't want to give my tacit approval of the stupid cover by buying it. So, I never did.

My high school water polo coach was Lindsey Buckingham's big brother's best friend and went to M-A too.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 23 Jul 2017, 17:35

yomptepi wrote:Speak for yourself Wilson. I would never admit to being a fan of any Rumours era FM. I do like Tusk though

Tuks is, despite it all, one of my 10 all time favourite albums. It weathered all anti AOR, punk, and new wave storms, not to mention Romo and dreadful other idiocies.

It is a highly experimental and daring pop album.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 23 Jul 2017, 17:39

Matt Wilson wrote:So we're all Buckingham/Nicks-era Mac fans now? I can remember when it wasn't fashionable on BCB to admit that. The best era for the band was the Peter Green one, followed by the post-Green/pre Buckingham/Nicks time.

I have always preferred Tusk to the PG era, but then prefer that to rumours. Not interested in the post Tusk period.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jul 2017, 17:42

Matt Wilson wrote:So we're all Buckingham/Nicks-era Mac fans now? I can remember when it wasn't fashionable on BCB to admit that. The best era for the band was the Peter Green one, followed by the post-Green/pre Buckingham/Nicks time.

I think that's a selective memory Matt to be honest - there will always be people on here who preferred the 'purist' blues era of Green, but I don't recall it being a majority. As I'm aware, there has always been a lot who love "Rumours" and many who speak fondly of "Tusk" too.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Jul 2017, 17:52

Diamond Dog wrote:

I think that's a selective memory Matt to be honest - there will always be people on here who preferred the 'purist' blues era of Green, but I don't recall it being a majority. As I'm aware, there has always been a lot who love "Rumours" and many who speak fondly of "Tusk" too.

Yeah, I don't recall the Buckingham/Nicks era being dissed at all on here. Every once in awhile there's a flurry of love for Tusk, Rumours, etc. as Pete states. Far outweighing any appreciation of the Peter Green era band. That's my recollection anyway.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 23 Jul 2017, 18:19

Perhaps, I just seem to recall a lot of vocal Peter Green fans who had disdain for the populist Buckingham/Nicks era. Much like the pro Syd/anti Dark Side of the Moon Floyd fans.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 23 Jul 2017, 21:01

I only like the early and mid period Mac.

Never bought a Buckingham/Nicks/Mac album.

Although I did buy Nicks solo stuff. But that's another story.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Six String

Postby Six String » 23 Jul 2017, 22:06

It has a few songs I like but it' is pretty average overall. I've had the lp for years. They aren't that hard to find. It's more famous for not being on cd all these years than anything else.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 24 Jul 2017, 09:02

I have an orange vinyl (obviously boot) version i bought in Sister Ray, Berwick St last year. £15, think they're still stocking it. Decent pressing too. Sounds great. Like it a lot.

Big Mac fan, all 3 era's (The Bob Welch era needs some reissuing at some point.)

Never really been a fan of Tusk tho, like some tracks but that gets more praise than it deserves. Give me F.Mac '75, Rumours (obviously,) and Tango. They are the 3 best from the latter era. ALL of the Peter Green years and Future Games ('71) and Mystery To Me ('73) from the Welch years. Future Games is a wonderful album.

Farewell tour in 2018. Never seen then live, probably cost an arm and a leg. The records for me will suffice.

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 25 Jul 2017, 10:09

Your recent enthusiasm for this album convinced me to have a punt on it, Pete, but fifty two quid???

FIFTY TWO QUID???

I am just a poor old pensioner pauper so I might risk £7 on the recent Buckingham/McVie cd instead.
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 25 Jul 2017, 10:14

I always enjoyed the Coffee Plant Demos- downloaded them several years ago and they certainly showed their talent.

01 - Without You (Acoustic Guitar, Vocal) 3:42
02 - Nomad (Acoustic Guitar, Vocal) 2:10
03 - That's Alright (Acoustic Guitar, Vocal) 3:11
04 - Garbo (Acoustic Guitar, Vocal) 3:14
05 - Sorcerer (Acoustic Guitar, Vocal/No Drum Machine) 4:45
06 - Cathouse Blues (Acoustic Guitar, Vocal) 1:44
07 - Goldfish and the Ladybug (Acoustic Guitar, Vocal) 3:04
08 - Without You (Bass, Vocal) 3:44
09 - Nomad (Alternate, Acoustic Guitar, Vocal) 2:10
10 - That's Alright (Bass, Vocal) 3:09
11 - Garbo (Bass, Vocal) 3:16
12 - Sorcerer (Bass, Drum Machine, Vocal) 4:46
13 - Cathouse Blues (Bass, Vocal) 1:44
14 - Goldfish and the Ladybug (Vocal, Only) 03:04
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jul 2017, 10:24

Footy wrote:Your recent enthusiasm for this album convinced me to have a punt on it, Pete, but fifty two quid???

I'll burn you a copy when I get mine.... help the aged and all that.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jul 2017, 10:26

never/ever wrote:I always enjoyed the Coffee Plant Demos- downloaded them several years ago and they certainly showed their talent.

I was listening to that this morning- "Without You" is really gorgeous.
Cocaine

Footy
Filler

Postby Footy » 25 Jul 2017, 10:35

Diamond Dog wrote:
Footy wrote:Your recent enthusiasm for this album convinced me to have a punt on it, Pete, but fifty two quid???

I'll burn you a copy when I get mine.... help the aged and all that.

Nice one, cheers. That's £52 for me to spend on denture cement and male incontinence pants ;)
Grab your coat sweetheart....I've got a knife.

Six String

Postby Six String » 26 Jul 2017, 04:27

sloopjohnc wrote:On my weekend record store trips in high school, I used to see this album cover in the racks before Fleetwood Mac made it big. It was fucking ubiquitous and I always wondered why because they were virtual unknowns. At the time, I didn't know they had both graduated from Menlo-Atherton High School, a high school the town south from mine. I hated the album cover and was tempted to buy it once both joined Fleetwood Mac, but didn't want to give my tacit approval of the stupid cover by buying it. So, I never did.

My high school water polo coach was Lindsey Buckingham's big brother's best friend and went to M-A too.

That must be why there are still copies floating around Northern California while the rest of the world's Stevie Nicks fans keep begging for it to be reissued.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 08 Aug 2017, 13:13

Well I received my Big Pink 'bootleg'....

If it is a 'pirate'... it's astonishing quality for a vinyl drop.. I mean, really incredible.

And the packaging would put many 'official' releases to shame too.

The extras are superb too.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Aug 2017, 08:52

My recent 'obsession' with this is worrying me, probably in equal quantities to how much it's boring you...

I think it's a seriously fine album. The songwriting is excellent, where they sound happy working together - but 'happy good' not 'happy lazy'. They're sparking off of eachother, there's absolutely no attempt to upstage or outrank eachother (Stevie lets Lindsey take the lead vocal on "Crystal" one of her songs, for instance - and the fabulous "Frozen Love" is a co-write, something I don't think they ever did again).

It's also noticeable how remarkably strong their harmonies are - incredibly tight and powerful, and absolutely essential to the sound of the record. It's a nicer sound, for me, than with Christine's vocal input later on. It's crisper and their voices are superbly matched - sometimes voices complement eachother brilliantly, and theirs do.

Lastly - Buckingham is one hell of a guitarist. His work here is stunning. The two solo acoustic workouts are exemplary, but it's the way he uses different tones and styles overall that really add flavour to the mix. And I'll say it again, around this time he was a searing lead guitarist - the way he allows solos to breathe and build melodically is wonderful throughout. You can sense where the next notes are coming from (very much like I do with Dave Gilmour) but they always have a little twist to maintain the suspense.

Finally (honestly) - I'm struck by one thing. Stevie Nicks has written lord knows how many songs - some truly great tunes too. Yet, in my memory, I've never once see her play an instrument. Not once. I know she's primarily a vocalist and the centre of attention onstage - but loads of others do that, yet you get the occasional glimpse of them playing an instrument somewhere. Not Stevie. So, I did a bit of research on Youtube etc and there are only a couple of snippets of her playing piano - I can't find a single case of her playing guitar. And her piano playing - admittedly from a non player myself- is, to put it mildly, rudimentary. Very basic chords, that's it. So - how much of her songs are in her head ( but she doesn't choose to play them.. or can't) and how much is it that she can write the basic tune but relies on 'collaborators' to embellish them and make them what we hear as the released product?
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 10 Aug 2017, 23:16

Thanks for the review! One of our suppliers can get this album for a good price so I have popped in an order for it!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Return to “Yakety Yak”