Twin Peaks season 3

..and why not?
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby The Modernist » 19 Jul 2017, 23:41

Yeah, I should say I do also feel a bit curmudgeonly making some of these criticisms because I'm also aware that it's genuinely different and unpredictable television and we're lucky to have it.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Jul 2017, 09:15

PENK wrote:One exciting snippet was the photo Tammy presented to Gordon. Was that taken at the time the couple were killed on the sofa, or before? Who was that with Bad Coop? I thought it was the Giant, but a rewind and freezeframe didn't make it clear. Could it be Philip Jeffries?

Is Evil Coop the "mysterious billionaire" then? Judging by that photo of him by the pool at some fancy villa it's possible he's very rich.

Was the glass box designed to trap Good Cooper when he left the lodge so Bob would never have to return?

Did the two ladies in the lodge therefore "save" cooper from this fate at the end of episode 2 by transporting him back into the lodges (?) and then helping him escape back into the real world
Last edited by Goat Boy on 20 Jul 2017, 09:22, edited 1 time in total.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 20 Jul 2017, 09:16

How good is Naomi Watts by the way?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Jul 2017, 13:20

Sizemore is doing well too I think. One of those actors that it comes naturally, it's just he's a dick.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Jul 2017, 14:07

The Modernist wrote:I'm also well bored of Dougie - there are things I'm really enjoying however!
I do realise I'm in the minority, seemingly, on this as each episode seems to be getting rapturous reactions from the fans.

You're not alone.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 21 Jul 2017, 23:04

Goat Boy wrote:How good is Naomi Watts by the way?

She's simply marvellous.

"DOUGIEEEEE"
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Jul 2017, 23:23

I must admit I fell in love with her a bit in the last episode :oops:

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 22 Jul 2017, 09:58

Richard has taken on almost pantomime villain status, hasn't he? Like no panto you'd ever want to see..
Nikki Gradual wrote:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Jul 2017, 10:12

Belle Lettre wrote:Richard has taken on almost pantomime villain status, hasn't he? Like no panto you'd ever want to see..

He's not really interesting enough to be a panto villain though. I agree with Penk on that one.
I was thinking about that afterwards actually. After all the original had Leo, who was a pretty reprehensible character. The difference, I think, was we were given some kind of context for Leo's behaviour, his abusive marriage and so on. With Richard he just comes out of nowhere, does something nasty and brutal and then we cut to something else. It's difficult to see what the point of the character is.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jul 2017, 12:14

The point is where he comes from I think and that's what we are building towards.

He used the word "cunt".

I dig him

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 22 Jul 2017, 13:00

He's almost a cypher. Of what? We will no doubt be shown, that will be the point of him.
Nikki Gradual wrote:

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 22 Jul 2017, 13:26

Fair enough, but so much of this discussion (generally, not just on this character) seems to be on what things will lead to, rather than the things themselves being of interest or entertaining in their own right.
I'm fine with this to an extent; after all if you enjoy a good book, you don't worry too much if Chapt 7 was below par, but I do worry that TP is leaning too heavily on this future promise. We will see.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jul 2017, 13:40

I don't think it is personally although certainly it needs to pull things together in a major way. I think Lynch has given us enough - bringing plot threads together, developing storylines etc - at the just the right time to keep the momentum going and to keep me satisfied.

The show is a unlike anything that's really been seen on telly before, that's the thing so conventional criticisms are problematic here I think.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Jul 2017, 12:35

The Modernist wrote:Fair enough, but so much of this discussion (generally, not just on this character) seems to be on what things will lead to, rather than the things themselves being of interest or entertaining in their own right.
I'm fine with this to an extent; after all if you enjoy a good book, you don't worry too much if Chapt 7 was below par, but I do worry that TP is leaning too heavily on this future promise. We will see.

You really discuss characters in this though. The ones from season one and two have been discussed already and we don't know enough about the new characters. The thing of introducing a new character and then not seeing them for at least another 2 episodes is part of the attraction for me anyway. Who are they and what have they to do with forwarding the plot. I like it.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Jul 2017, 12:37

Last nights episode advanced the story a little more but not that much. There's some of the soap opera element back again, but I think it will tie in with the plot.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 25 Jul 2017, 00:17

I really enjoyed this week's actually. It might not have had the wtf visual phantasmagoria of episode 8, but in terms of narrative I thought it was the best yet.
It does seem like some malevolent chaos is descending on Twin Peaks with everything that happened in the first half. Poor old Bobby really had his hands full!

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 25 Jul 2017, 06:58

I think it's more that things have been going bad there for a long time.Though they certainly seem to be coming to a head!

Two great reviews:

http://www.avclub.com/tvclub/someones-w ... ast-258484

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/24/arts ... recap.html

I am finding James Belushi very entertaining by the way.
Nikki Gradual wrote:

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Jul 2017, 09:36

Great episode! Wonderful combination of comedy and supernatural mondo weirdness and things continue to heat up.

Loved the camera down the hallway thing after Becky fired the shots. Bit harsh of Becky to drive the car with her ma pinned to the bonnet mind. Nice to know that Shelley and Bobby were married although not cool of Shelley to rub Bobbys face in it with her new drug dealing boyfriend (what is it with her and “bad boys”?). It’s been cool to see Bobby all grown up and respectable too and the whole scene outside with the impatient lady on the car horn was brilliant. And what the fuck was the zombie child about?! Who cares? Magic! First mention of Big Ed also!

Love Dianes reaction to Hastings’ death. Coles line made me laugh out loud. I presume this is one of several entry points to the black lodge. Coles shaking hand is not a good sign though. Diane memorising the coordinates. Who’s side is she on?

I love the fact that the Log Lady has become some kind of spiritual guide for Hawk. He always took her seriously.

I was on the edge of my seat with the whole cherry pie thing. Was this gonna be the moment? Alas no but these scenes were funny and sweet, especially the old lady thanking him for being a good man (of course we the audience know he is a very good man) and Coops moment of almost clarity when he hears the piano was moving. I think we are almost there.

Great stuff. The last few episodes have been a real treat.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 25 Jul 2017, 11:55

I really liked the episode too. I thought it was an ideal mixture of the different aspects of the show - darkness, humour, weirdness, kitsch, satire, evil and heart. There were some wonderful lines and a few of the characters got some standout moments.

I loved the Mitchums eating breakfast! I found myself wondering what was so significant about their choices of cereal.

What the hell was going on in that car, though?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Jul 2017, 12:10

You mean regarding Hastings?

One of the things I've loved about this series is how they've had the balls to introduce new characters and give them time. I'm enjoying the Mitchum brothers and their reaction to the cheque was great! Candie has been superb too

Return to “Screenadelica”