The Waterboys - Any fans/haters here? They don't get mentiooned on BCB that often

Do talk back

The Waterboys - Any fans/haters here? They don't get mentiooned on BCB that often

Postby ... » 17 Jul 2017, 08:34

Saw them in pretty intimate hotel ballroom in Carrick on Shannon last night. With a capacity of 800 pax and the only other show they are doing in Ireland this year at the 16,000-capacity 3Arena in Dublin, the decision to go was something of a no-brainer. Happily, Belle and I got right down to the front and saw a terrific show - balls to the wall rock for over an hour and a half - my ears are still ringing.

Their new album - a double - Out of All This Blue,is out on Sept 8 (that's my birthday present sorted then). From the two or three tracks they previewed last night, it sounds great.

Any other fans or detractors here?

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Re: The Waterboys - Any fans/haters here? They don't get mentiooned on BCB that often

Postby The Modernist » 17 Jul 2017, 09:51

I do think Mike Scott is a genuine talent (as both a songwriter and singer) and great live act. What he does though will always be a bit divisive, his brand of epic wide-eyed mysticism is somewhat of an acquired taste. I listened to him/them a lot in the late 80s, but only intermittently since then. I do enjoy hearing the odd song though.

Dr Markus

Re: The Waterboys - Any fans/haters here? They don't get mentiooned on BCB that often

Postby Dr Markus » 17 Jul 2017, 13:45

They're shite, their two songs got over played and even if they still only gets played 4 times a year each on Irish radio, it's still too much.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 17 Jul 2017, 14:15

I'm a fan. I lost interest when 'Room To Roam' came out - it had a couple decent tracks, but couldn't sustain my interest - but I think the run from 'A Pagan Place' to 'Fisherman's Blues' is fantastic. I'm not so fond of the fiddle-dee-dee trad-type stuff, but the rockers are great.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 17 Jul 2017, 14:32

I see him quite a bit, he lives in my neighbourhood, so happy to pass on all your good wishes :D

Postby ... » 17 Jul 2017, 15:10

Tactful Cactus wrote:I see him quite a bit, he lives in my neighbourhood, so happy to pass on all your good wishes :D

Pls do. Wonderful show in Carrick on Shannon last night.

Are you going up to any gigs in Dublin in the near future, TC? will be up next week for Brian Wilson and again in Sept for Ryan Adams, Oct for Steely Dan, Nov for Alice Cooper and next Feb for Paul Weller. We should do drinks or something

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 17 Jul 2017, 15:50

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I'm a fan. I lost interest when 'Room To Roam' came out - it had a couple decent tracks, but couldn't sustain my interest - but I think the run from 'A Pagan Place' to 'Fisherman's Blues' is fantastic. I'm not so fond of the fiddle-dee-dee trad-type stuff, but the rockers are great.

Exact opposite for me, thanks. Room to Roam is the one I go back to the most. I like most of Fisherman's Blues but when he gets into overreferencing his heroes without providing any kind of fresh insight whatsoever - "Sweet Thing" with "Blackbird" embedded in it is pretty much the nadir of that sort of thing for me - he loses me. RtR is filled with spirit and I think his willingness to be a bit hyperpersonal and "in the moment" is what makes the difference. Plus nobody plays with more of an audible smile than Sharon Shannnon.

Bits an pieces here and there, but at least when it doesn't try to do too much, the "fiddle-dee-dee" stuff is exactly what I like. Of course I'm tilted in that direction a bit anyway...
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 17 Jul 2017, 16:13

I've dipped in to post-Room To Roam albums but, his first solo record apart, they don't seem very good.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 17 Jul 2017, 16:42

I like them well enough, A Pagan Place is my favoured album.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 17 Jul 2017, 17:15

First 3 are great. As soon as the fiddles started in earnest I lost interest.

'Pagan Place', the song, is epic.
'Gala' is wonderful.
The first track from 'This is the Sea' is awesome.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 17 Jul 2017, 17:30

Moleskin wrote:I've dipped in to post-Room To Roam albums but, his first solo record apart, they don't seem very good.

Did you hear the Yeats one? Pretty good. I interviewed him about it (via e-mail) and really liked what he had to say about it. He really brought his own personal take to the proceedings in a way he generally doesn't with the rock stars he likes. Odd to be less precious about Yeats than you are about Hendrix, but there you have it...
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 17 Jul 2017, 17:56

They did one of the best gigs I've ever seen in, I think, 1986. It was between the releases of This Is The Sea and Fisherman's Blues. I don't listen to the band a lot these days but I'd still consider myself a fan. I really liked the Yeates one.

Postby ... » 17 Jul 2017, 18:42

The Yeats one (An Appointment with Mr Yeats) is terrific. Would have loved to see them do it live during their residency at the Abbey Theatre which WBY himself helped to found. Together with Fisherman's Blues (both the song and the album), think MS's eager embracing of the country's literature and folk tradition (the later of which arguably inspired some of Yeats' finest work) is what makes them more [i]Irish in spirit than most Irish born and bred bands (are you listening there, Mr Hewson?)
Last edited by ... on 17 Jul 2017, 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 17 Jul 2017, 18:47

toomanyhatz wrote:
Moleskin wrote:I've dipped in to post-Room To Roam albums but, his first solo record apart, they don't seem very good.

Did you hear the Yeats one? Pretty good. I interviewed him about it (via e-mail) and really liked what he had to say about it. He really brought his own personal take to the proceedings in a way he generally doesn't with the rock stars he likes. Odd to be less precious about Yeats than you are about Hendrix, but there you have it...

I'll look it up.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 17 Jul 2017, 21:49

fueryIre wrote:The Yeats one (An Appointment with Mr Yeats) is terrific. Would have loved to see them do it live during their residency at the Abbey Theatre which WBY himself helped to found. Together with Fisherman's Blues (both the song and the album), think MS's eager embracing of the country's literature and folk tradition (the later of which arguably inspired some of Yeats' finest work) is what makes them more [i]Irish in spirit than most Irish born and bred bands (are you listening there, Mr Hewson?)

Do think Bono is trying to pass U2 off as any kind of authentic 'Irish experience''?
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 17 Jul 2017, 22:19

toomanyhatz wrote: Plus nobody plays with more of an audible smile than Sharon Shannnon.

Quote of the week for me, hatz!

I overdosed a bit on the Fisherman's Box, but I'm a big fan of his folky side (and truth be told, I'm more likely to play a Sharon Shannon album nowadays).
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Postby ... » 17 Jul 2017, 22:29

Fonz wrote:
fueryIre wrote:The Yeats one (An Appointment with Mr Yeats) is terrific. Would have loved to see them do it live during their residency at the Abbey Theatre which WBY himself helped to found. Together with Fisherman's Blues (both the song and the album), think MS's eager embracing of the country's literature and folk tradition (the later of which arguably inspired some of Yeats' finest work) is what makes them more [i]Irish in spirit than most Irish born and bred bands (are you listening there, Mr Hewson?)

Do think Bono is trying to pass U2 off as any kind of authentic 'Irish experience''?

No, not at all. Their music is much more American in terms of its themes and aspirations.

Off the top of my head (and I'm nowhere near being any kind of U2 expert), aside from possibly Sunday Bloody Sunday which is a protest song, I can't really think of one recording where their Irishness is really apparent.

Be interesting if they tried to do something similar to Van Morrison when he re-visited and was reinvigorated when rediscovering his spiritual and musical roots on Veedon Fleece. There are some pretty good unrealesed cuts (Drumshambo Hustle on Philosopher's Stone Vol I (sadly, still no Vol 2) and its various bootleg half-brothers) from around the same period.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 18 Jul 2017, 00:16

fueryIre wrote:Are you going up to any gigs in Dublin in the near future, TC? will be up next week for Brian Wilson and again in Sept for Ryan Adams, Oct for Steely Dan, Nov for Alice Cooper and next Feb for Paul Weller. We should do drinks or something

I've none on the horizon, but just been to two great ones - Kamasi Washington at NCH and Badbadnotgood in Sugar Club. Both amazing, so I'd love to suss out a few more. Tend to avoid the big shows these days. Yea lets definitely do drinks, maybe we're overdue a Dublin jolly up? Im back in Dub permanently now so I'd be happy to co-organise something

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 18 Jul 2017, 11:25

fueryIre wrote:
Fonz wrote:

No, not at all. Their music is much more American in terms of its themes and aspirations.

Off the top of my head (and I'm nowhere near being any kind of U2 expert), aside from possibly Sunday Bloody Sunday which is a protest song, I can't really think of one recording where their Irishness is really apparent.

Be interesting if they tried to do something similar to Van Morrison when he re-visited and was reinvigorated when rediscovering his spiritual and musical roots on Veedon Fleece. There are some pretty good unrealesed cuts (Drumshambo Hustle on Philosopher's Stone Vol I (sadly, still no Vol 2) and its various bootleg half-brothers) from around the same period.

Tomorrow from October features uilleann pipes and bodhran. The song is about Bono losing his Mum at an early age. There are odd bits, chord changes here and there. The video for A Celebration was filmed in Killmainham Gaol.

There was a book out years ago. Race of Angels, which was about the band and their connection to Ireland. Years since I read it, so can't remember much about it.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 18 Jul 2017, 12:12

fueryIre wrote:.

I'm surprised you say that. Just for starters:

"Top o' the Morning to ya" from Achtung Baby
"Bejesus, mine's a Guinness" from October
"Emerald Suede Shoes" from Rattle and Hum

Return to “Yakety Yak”