BCB's Top 101 Films Poll (2017 edition) - FULL RESULTS ARE UP!!

..and why not?
User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33801
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby PENK » 13 Jul 2017, 06:45

Darkness_Fish wrote:Strange to see The Conversation in the list, I had no idea that film was generally highly regarded or particularly well-known (considering the director). I liked it a lot, one of Gene Hackman's greatest performances.


I found it very flat and boring.

Many would say that of Barry Lyndon, though, and I voted for that one...
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30446
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jul 2017, 10:47

The Conversation is fucking great!

I liked Barry Lyndon but I don't think it's top drawer Kubrick
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

User avatar
!!VAPRANT!!
hounds people off the board
Posts: 14446
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby !!VAPRANT!! » 13 Jul 2017, 10:54

it's as boring as a weekend in Barnsley
Deewank wrote:By the way I gave you some Jelly Tots for your birthday and you didn’t give me ANYTHING

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30446
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Goat Boy » 13 Jul 2017, 11:17

I wouldn't say it's boring and it is beautiful to look at.

I'm surprised it's that high though
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 22568
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 13 Jul 2017, 14:24

PENK wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Strange to see The Conversation in the list, I had no idea that film was generally highly regarded or particularly well-known (considering the director). I liked it a lot, one of Gene Hackman's greatest performances.


I found it very flat and boring.

Many would say that of Barry Lyndon, though, and I voted for that one...


I voted for both. I love the slower pace. I appreciate art that isn't rushing me to the exit.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 22568
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 13 Jul 2017, 14:25

Goat Boy wrote:I liked Barry Lyndon but I don't think it's top drawer Kubrick


I do. My second favorite, after 2001.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28393
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Jul 2017, 15:46

It's a good list so far, but it pretty much looks like any other greatest films of all-time poll/list. Some interesting choices but not many. You guys are arguing over Groundhog Day, but not The Blues Brothers? That makes no sense to me.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 22568
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 13 Jul 2017, 16:29

Groundhog Day made the last list, which speaks to a kind of inclusion in the canon. The Blues Brothers just looks like a fluke addition.

As for the list looking like a standard great films list...that's part and parcel of the 50 films limitation. Hard to put too many off-the-beaten-path choices over The Godfather or Vertigo.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

User avatar
The Modernist
Posts: 9657
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby The Modernist » 13 Jul 2017, 16:40

Matt Wilson wrote:It's a good list so far, but it pretty much looks like any other greatest films of all-time poll/list. Some interesting choices but not many. You guys are arguing over Groundhog Day, but not The Blues Brothers? That makes no sense to me.


Well that's a similar argument to Hard Days Night, I guess as a music board, cult music films are going to do a little better than normal in a poll like this. I expect Spinal Tap to come in pretty high too.

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28393
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Matt Wilson » 13 Jul 2017, 18:56

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Groundhog Day made the last list, which speaks to a kind of inclusion in the canon. The Blues Brothers just looks like a fluke addition.

As for the list looking like a standard great films list...that's part and parcel of the 50 films limitation. Hard to put too many off-the-beaten-path choices over The Godfather or Vertigo.


It's 100 films in the end though.

User avatar
Davey the Fat Boy
Posts: 22568
Joined: 05 Jan 2006, 02:55
Location: Applebees

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 13 Jul 2017, 20:05

Matt Wilson wrote:
Davey the Fat Boy wrote:Groundhog Day made the last list, which speaks to a kind of inclusion in the canon. The Blues Brothers just looks like a fluke addition.

As for the list looking like a standard great films list...that's part and parcel of the 50 films limitation. Hard to put too many off-the-beaten-path choices over The Godfather or Vertigo.


It's 100 films in the end though.


50 from each of us.
Marginal BCB contributor since 2006

Image

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 21607
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby never/ever » 14 Jul 2017, 01:29

It is easier to find consensus with a few other people on some of these commercial titles rather than on any of the more underground, offbeat ones. I included Subway Riders on my list and I would be very surprised if anyone else did too.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 4024
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Jul 2017, 09:12

I found it was difficult splitting my votes between all the Friday 13th films and all The Police Academy movies. I've got a good feeling about the next few chart positions #FingersCrossedForMissionToMoscow.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 30446
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Jul 2017, 09:22

I'm still hopeful Porkys will appear
German Dave wrote:Have a long hard look in the mirror will you

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33801
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby PENK » 15 Jul 2017, 14:01

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
PENK wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:Strange to see The Conversation in the list, I had no idea that film was generally highly regarded or particularly well-known (considering the director). I liked it a lot, one of Gene Hackman's greatest performances.


I found it very flat and boring.

Many would say that of Barry Lyndon, though, and I voted for that one...


I voted for both. I love the slower pace. I appreciate art that isn't rushing me to the exit.


So do I; my list was full of B&W Eastern European things where nothing much happens.

I just thought that The Conversation was boring.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33801
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby PENK » 15 Jul 2017, 14:02

Speaking of not much happening...
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
joels344
Posts: 778
Joined: 17 Dec 2016, 17:37
Contact:

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby joels344 » 15 Jul 2017, 14:59

PENK wrote:Speaking of not much happening...


I spoke with algroth on the What'sApp today and his internet service is currently down. His internet should be working again on Monday, though.

User avatar
Darryl Strawberry
Posts: 7084
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Darryl Strawberry » 15 Jul 2017, 15:23

I didn't vote so my comments can obviously be taken with a piece of salt...

...but I'm glad to see The Conversation here - wonderful, paranoia-drenched and disconcerting.

At the other end of the scale, are people still taken in by Shawshank, which took Stephen King's clever little novella and dipped it in syrup? Almost as overrated as Pulp Fiction.
Last edited by Darryl Strawberry on 15 Jul 2017, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
John Coan, with nothing else to do, wrote:I just Googled his name!

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 28393
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Matt Wilson » 15 Jul 2017, 15:29

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if it's been mentioned but the poster for Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia is actually for Ride the High Country, another Peckinpah film.

User avatar
Darkness_Fish
Posts: 4024
Joined: 27 Jul 2015, 09:58

Re: BCB's Top 100 Films Poll (2017 edition) - RESULTS!! #100-45 UP

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Jul 2017, 20:54

K wrote:At the other end of the scale, are people still taken in by Shawshank, which took Stephen King's clever little novella and dipped it in syrup? Almost as overrated as Pulp Fiction.

I think Shawshank is a fine example of mainstream cinema that relies on solid acting and believable characters. Part of its appeal for me is the way it harks back to an earlier style of film, purposefully paced with no reliance on special effects or action set-pieces. I haven't read the source novella, but I think it stands on its own as a very fine film.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82