New now reading

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Darkness_Fish

Re: New now reading

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Jul 2017, 08:52

K wrote:Just finished
Which was brilliant and spellbinding.

Really? I thought it was hopeless. I mean, the man can write beautifully, but the plot is such a badly contrived waste of time. Like Ian McEwan, he has the technical skill, but he has seemingly no idea about how human beings interact.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 14 Jul 2017, 10:43

Grey Error wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:
Grey Error wrote:I've just finished 'Open Up and Bleed' which was pretty extraordinary. I thought I knew a lot about Iggy Pop, but I think the extent of a lot of it surprised me.
Now I'm starting Hemingway's 'Across the River and Into the Trees', which is already quite beautiful and I'm only 30 pages in.

I loved it -- especially his crazy Haiti hiatus in the 1980s

That was INSANE. I was crying with laughter.

Trynka's Bowie bio is a good companion.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 14 Jul 2017, 11:50

Brilliant, informative, and very funny in places:

On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jul 2017, 15:25

A fairly devastating takedown of the NFL - from a guy who clearly loves/loved the sport. And read by a guy (me) that still loves it. Almond's case for the NFL being shutdown (primarily because of the concussion 'scandal' brewing in the game, but also around the tax free status, the alleged racism and sexism... amongst others) is very persuasively presented.

Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Jul 2017, 15:27

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Grey Error wrote:
Tactful Cactus wrote:
I loved it -- especially his crazy Haiti hiatus in the 1980s

That was INSANE. I was crying with laughter.

Trynka's Bowie bio is a good companion.

Yeah that's a great book.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 24 Jul 2017, 15:52

About halfway through this one. Despite some unsubstantiated claims that got my hackles up, a very fine read...

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 31 Jul 2017, 09:49

Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 31 Jul 2017, 10:13

Riveting:

...to be followed by:

On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 31 Jul 2017, 10:24

The fake Googamooga posts, riveting stuff.

Thank you Sherlock Hodgson.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 05 Aug 2017, 17:55

A recent discovery, for me. Lambert co-wrote Nicholas Ray’s Bitter Victory among many other things. He was an insider and simultaneously an outsider, perhaps on account of his sexuality. This was his first novel except it’s really a collection of unconnected short stories with recurring characters – oddballs and waifs and strays that the narrator meets as he drifts aimlessly around the place. He sympathizes with them but in the end is always unable to help them, because there’s always this nagging awareness that to help them would be to destroy them further. Creeping erosion is the leitmotif that binds it all together – of land, integrity, the future etc. I liked it a lot.

So I’m now on to

and about 30 pages in. The prologue takes place at the Tomb of the Unknown Starlet, which an oddball teenager visits every day to wallow in grief/self-pity. So he’s the first of the Goodbye People. I’m looking forward to reading about the others!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 05 Aug 2017, 20:38

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

This really was a bit shit. I've enjoyed some Gladwell, he's normally a quite engaging writer, but this seems such a lazy collection of anecdotes as pop-science, and even then it struggles to define the point its trying to make.

And onwards onto:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 06 Aug 2017, 14:17

I've got three on the go at the minute.
Hemingway's 'Across the River and Into the Trees' which although beautifully written, is not 'connecting' with me in the same way as his other works.
Russell's 'A History of Western Philosophy' which has type so tiny that I can't see it in a dark room, which is my fabourite place to read. At this rate I'll be reading it on the shitter and finishing it in 2019.
Kerouac's Desolation Angels, an absolute cracker.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Aug 2017, 11:06

Harvey K-Tel wrote:About halfway through this one. Despite some unsubstantiated claims that got my hackles up, a very fine read...

Yes, see above. Fascinating stuff. There's a lot of unsubstatiated 'claims' but I think most of it holds up. What in particular pissed you off?

I bought his Homo Deus but haven't started that yet.

It reminded me of James Burke's Connections TV series from the 70s. I used to love that.
This clip is especially relevant:

I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 07 Aug 2017, 11:22

I've got that lined up but I generally steer clear of books like it that try to shoehorn a thesis into a grand narrative..Will give it a go though as several others have recommended it.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Aug 2017, 12:07

Toby wrote:I've got that lined up but I generally steer clear of books like it that try to shoehorn a thesis into a grand narrative..Will give it a go though as several others have recommended it.

I don't think he really has a single concept or thesis as such. His views are quite balanced - that is why I was asking Harvey what in particular he disagreed with. I suspect you may quibble with his analysis of capitalism perhaps.

There's an element of the argument that knowledge and technology bring a degree of liberation but on the flip side he also suggests that things like the agricultural revolution were a very bad deal for humanity as a whole compared to the 'Eden' of the hunter gatherer lifestyle (as a single example).
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 07 Aug 2017, 15:32

Deebank wrote:
Yes, see above. Fascinating stuff. There's a lot of unsubstatiated 'claims' but I think most of it holds up. What in particular pissed you off?

I don't remember now, but he basically stated as fact a few things that occurred before recorded history, and it seemed to me as though there was certainly room for different interpretations. I probably won't go back to find examples, so you'll just have to take my word for it. :)

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 07 Aug 2017, 17:52

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Deebank wrote:

I don't remember now, but he basically stated as fact a few things that occurred before recorded history, and it seemed to me as though there was certainly room for different interpretations. I probably won't go back to find examples, so you'll just have to take my word for it. :)

Fair enough.

You've reminded me that his take on the agricultural 'revolution' is challenged by experts like Francis Pryor who see agriculture developing gradually wherever there are people. For example there's evidence that nut trees were deliberately 'cultivated' at Starr Car in NE England, a very early hunter gatherer settlement.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 07 Aug 2017, 19:46

I don't know anything about this; someone left it behind when she was done with it. It's good enough, I guess.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 07 Aug 2017, 19:54

Sold! I'll take a dozen!

FOR5

Postby FOR5 » 10 Aug 2017, 10:09

Got these two out from the library last week, read The Mixer, really good. Not started No Hunger in Paradise yet, though I have got The Nowhere Men by the same author and it was a brilliant read.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."

Groucho Marx

Return to “Nextdoorland”