Do talk back

Which do you prefer?

The Weirdness
33%
Ready To Die
67%

Total votes: 3

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Hobson's Choice #1: The Weirdness vs Ready To Die

Postby Moleskin » 12 Jul 2017, 10:04

The 2007 Asheton-led reunion album, for which Iggy admits he was phoning it in, or the 2013 Williamson-led reunion, for which Iggy also admits he was phoning it in. In each instance because the chief collaborator didn't want the album to end up as an 'Iggy Pop' album.

The highlight of the two albums for me is 'The Departed'.

I'll be voting once I've listened to them both again.
Last edited by Moleskin on 02 Aug 2017, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Re: The Weirdness vs Ready To Die

Postby Moleskin » 12 Jul 2017, 10:40

@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 12 Jul 2017, 10:55

The Weirdness easily. 'ATM', 'My Idea Of Fun' and 'Free and Freaky' are very good. They're not as furious as anything they put out on those exhilarating early albums, but they're fuckin' fired up enough for me.

There's only 'Job' that I like from the other one. It's a pretty lame affair.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 12 Jul 2017, 11:03

BLACK FELLA wrote:The Weirdness easily. 'ATM', 'My Idea Of Fun' and 'Free and Freaky' are very good.

Those are good. I think they front-loaded The Weirdness with its worst song. I also like Steve Mackay's squawking on the title track.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 12 Jul 2017, 11:09

Yeah, me too. But it's an odd one.

Have you seen this? I've posted it a couple of times before here. I really think it's great. It almost became a cliche, but they're playing better than bands half their ages. Thrilling.

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 12 Jul 2017, 11:12

I haven't. It's very good.

I suppose in some respects the album was partly an excuse for touring.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 12 Jul 2017, 12:49

Yeah, I suppose so.

His voice is half-arsed tho' isn't it? I've just noticed that. And it does matter, I think.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Jul 2017, 21:39

Live is one thing, but I don't think Iggy's done anything album-wise since Lust For Life that I ever want to hear again.

I didn't enjoy saying that, but I had to say it.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 13 Jul 2017, 21:46

Not keen on New Values, Charlie?

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 13 Jul 2017, 22:00

Charlie O. wrote:Live is one thing, but I don't think Iggy's done anything album-wise since Lust For Life that I ever want to hear again.

I would go as far forward as New Values and then, same for me.

I saw them live when they were doing some of those songs, and they were inoffensive, sorta not bad, kind of in the style of the other songs. But then they'd break into TV Eye and the whole affair got taken up a notch. I've never listened to either album in full though.

You know what had the chance to be good but wasn't really? That James Williamson album of all the unreleased Stooges songs with guest singers. I saw them do it live and it was a great show. Besides Jello Biafra the best were the female singers - Lisa Kekaula, Allison Mosshart & Carolyn Wonderland. And Williamson was playing as loud & powerful as ever.

I was excited to hear the album after that, but it sounded surprisingly wimpy. I wish I had a soundboard tape of that show, I would listen regularly.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 13 Jul 2017, 23:09

John Onan wrote:Not keen on New Values, Charlie?

I kept periodically trying for years, but... nah.

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 14 Jul 2017, 10:27

Solo he's made a bunch of records I like more or less. I'm currently revisiting for a project.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Moleskin

Re: Hobson's Choice #1: The Weirdness vs Ready To Die

Postby Moleskin » 02 Aug 2017, 08:57

I have this theory that "Iggy Pop" records are better when Jim Osterberg is fully involved. When Iggy has too much control lazy cliches, musical and lyrical abound. Sometimes record companies have encouraged Iggy to sideline Jim. Beat 'Em Up is a case in point.
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 02 Aug 2017, 15:55

Charlie O. wrote:Live is one thing, but I don't think Iggy's done anything album-wise since Lust For Life that I ever want to hear again.

I'm glad somebody said it.

In my experience it all checks out, too.
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

TG

Re: Hobson's Choice #1: The Weirdness vs Ready To Die

Postby TG » 02 Aug 2017, 16:16

I've never really heard the Williamson led comeback album. The parts I heard didn't really inspire. But The Weirdness is pretty weak too. In Japan they put out a 2 LP version of The Weirdness with 4 extra tracks. I could make the argument that those 4 tracks are better than anything on the official release.

None are great but they should have made the LP.

I'd also go along with Lust For Life being the last good album. New Values has 2 or 3 or 4 really good songs but there's too much filler. In later years you can find the occasional good tune - Pussy Walk, Mask, Candy - there are a few. But none are truly great and all are a pale shadow of the real stuff.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Return to “Yakety Yak”