Twin Peaks season 3

..and why not?
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Twin Peaks season 3

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Jun 2017, 11:15

Sarah Palmer was born in 1945.

It could be her of course but I have my doubts.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jun 2017, 11:55

Goat Boy wrote:Sarah Palmer was born in 1945.

How do you know that? I've just seen someone on a forum say the same thing, but I don't know where this kind of info is coming from..the Mark Frost book?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Jun 2017, 12:41

When was the last time you talked about a TV show like this? I mean guessing what's gonna happen? Class isn't it.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Jun 2017, 12:48

The Modernist wrote:

How do you know that? I've just seen someone on a forum say the same thing, but I don't know where this kind of info is coming from..the Mark Frost book?

Aye. There are backstories and dates etc.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jun 2017, 14:56

The Great Defector wrote:When was the last time you talked about a TV show like this? I mean guessing what's gonna happen? Class isn't it.

About a month ago with Line Of Duty.

I am intrigued to see what will happen next because it's so imaginative and unpredictable, but I can't say I find "the plot" (such as it is) gives me any anticipatory pleasure.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Jun 2017, 15:01

The Modernist wrote: but I can't say I find "the plot" (such as it is) gives me any anticipatory pleasure.

Bit like watching arsenal.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jun 2017, 15:04

Goat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

Thing is..that book came out pretty recently and without any fanfare. But suddenly it's become mandatory reading. The show is taking intertextuality and self-referentiality to a new level in that sense, encouraging its die-hard fans to outdo each other with the arcane knowledge of TP they can bring. It's a new way of watching television essentially. It's not one I expect to acquire myself, but it's an interesting phenomena to observe.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jun 2017, 15:07

The Great Defector wrote:
The Modernist wrote: but I can't say I find "the plot" (such as it is) gives me any anticipatory pleasure.

Bit like watching arsenal.

I reckon Olivier Giroud would've made for a good bartender for the The Roadhouse.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 28 Jun 2017, 16:06

The Modernist wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
The Modernist wrote:

Thing is..that book came out pretty recently and without any fanfare. But suddenly it's become mandatory reading. The show is taking intertextuality and self-referentiality to a new level in that sense, encouraging its die-hard fans to outdo each other with the arcane knowledge of TP they can bring. It's a new way of watching television essentially. It's not one I expect to acquire myself, but it's an interesting phenomena to observe.

I don’t think it’s mandatory reading. I’ve not read it but I have watched the original show and FWWM a lot. That’s enough to get a handle on things for yer average fan.

The show has always inspired a incredible level of devotion and analysis for obvious reasons. It’s one of the things that kept it alive in popular consciousness, especially important in the early days of the internet when there was online discussions which helped keep the flame alive (apparently Lynch used to read this stuff). For a long time it was actually hard to even get hold of the entire show. The first series – minus the pilot – was released in 2001 on DVD but the second series never appeared until 2007. I remember renting out VHS tapes of series 2 in Australia in 2004! For a long time I had a poorly transferred copy of the pilot episode from Asia and that was it.

The new series feels like the creators paying back the fans in a way which is nice but, yeah, I’m sure for some it’s impenetrable and off putting.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 29 Jun 2017, 01:07

The Great Defector wrote:When was the last time you talked about a TV show like this? I mean guessing what's gonna happen? Class isn't it.

That would have been the original Twin Peaks, circa 1990, the ultimate office water cooler show. We would literally gather around the water cooler to discuss the previous evening's episode.

Finally caught up. Mind = blown

My only problem (apart from some narrative/pacing quibbles) is that, with a regular puzzle, you can see all the pieces at once. Here I can't remember what all the pieces are, there are so many.

Anyway, I felt like Frost/Lynch really threw us a bone with episode 8, as far as contextualizing the goings-on, or providing some kind of premise, however obscure.

Amazing television!

How do we know the drug dealer guy who ran over the kid is a Horne, again? He's supposed to be Audrey's son? What happened to Audrey, anyway? I can't remember!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 29 Jun 2017, 08:04

He is listed as Richard Horne in the credits so we are assuming he is related

At the end of season 2 there was the bomb in the bank and Audrey was chained to the door in protest, remember?

Doc Hayward mentioned that she was in a coma following that in the Skype conversation with Sheriff Truman. The Doc also said that Evil Coop visited her when she was in a coma so there is a hint of a sexual assault. Is Richard Horne Evil Coops offspring?

I'm assuming Audrey is going to appear at some point.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 29 Jun 2017, 13:55

Goat Boy wrote:Is Richard Horne Evil Coops offspring?

That's a kinda soap opera story line that has been missing so far.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 29 Jun 2017, 14:40

Goat Boy wrote:He is listed as Richard Horne in the credits so we are assuming he is related

Well spotted! :)

Goat Boy wrote:At the end of season 2 there was the bomb in the bank and Audrey was chained to the door in protest, remember?

Doc Hayward mentioned that she was in a coma following that in the Skype conversation with Sheriff Truman. The Doc also said that Evil Coop visited her when she was in a coma so there is a hint of a sexual assault. Is Richard Horne Evil Coops offspring?

I'm assuming Audrey is going to appear at some point.

I haven't seen Season two, I don't think, since it was initially broadcast, so, no I don't remember anything about that. I should probably just go over some plot synopses to re-familiarize myself with it.

Thanks!
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 30 Jun 2017, 19:00

Just from a purely technical level that was stupendous. The cinematography and the soundtrack were stellar.

Loved the whole birth of BOB thing. Did the nuke rip a hole in time and space so that the evil spirits could descend? Is it just symbolic of the evil that men do? Does it matter? What a sequence.

Loved Evil Coopers death and rebirth. The blob with Bobs face on it was horrible (reminiscent of the new “arm”)

So the white lodge created Laura as a counter balance to Bob? Or perhaps as a trap? Is Laura going to be part of the final battle against BOB? It looks like she just might.

What’s really obvious too is how Lynch and Frost have tried to link the original series to this one with all kinds of references. Remember when the man from another place said they are from a place where this is “always music in the air”? There’s real attention to detail here.

I would assume it will be back to “normal” for the next episode and interestingly there is a two week break

I think it's clear that yes, the detonation of the A-bomb is what opened the portal that allowed the spirit of Bob to pass through and make it to earth (what the fuck was thing that spit him out though?) One of the commmentaries I saw made an interesting observation - if you think about a miracle as this wonderful thing that is not easily explained and seems to have originated from a divine presence - then what is its opposite? Something too awful to be easily explained, whose origin is entirely human.

I do think the bug/ frog thing - EWWWWW!! that was horrifying! - that hatched in the desert is the physical manifestation of Bob. He had to pass through the nuclear explosion in pod form, now he's hatched. I don't know who the girl is, but I don't know that it matters. We know that Bob can move from person to person if he feels like it. Maybe that girl murdered that nice boy who was so shy about kissing her, and when she was executed he moved to somebody else, and so on, making his way from New Mexico up to the Pacific Northwest. Maybe that will be Season 4 - Bob Takes Over America, tracing his adventures from 1956-89.

I'm less clear about those shadowy vagrants who seem to have plenty of destructive power of their own, especially if they can put half the town to sleep just by taking over the airwaves and crush skulls like eggshells with bare hands. Something like them also showed up when Bad Coop was shot by Ray (who explains this to Philip Jeffries saying "he had some kind of help" which seems like a grave understatement!) Now that Bad Coop has come back to life, does he still have Bob in him? Or did the shadow vagrants come and get Bob out of there so they could put him in somebody else, and the spirit of Real Coop will show up in his own body, presumably leaving Dougie face down in a bowl of cereal while Noami Watts says "Dougie! Dougie!" at him?
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 01 Jul 2017, 01:09

I've just rewatched Fire Walk With Me, partly because it seems to be so heavily referenced in this current series.

I did find the first half a bit of a chore ( I watched it over two nights), but the second half is really powerful and I think it deserves its revised reputation. Sheryl Lee puts in a tour de force of a performance.
Did it help me understand the current season any better?...Not really if I'm honest! :) (Actually a lot of the more relevant stuff would appear to be in the deleted scenes). Definitely recommended to rewatch/see however.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 01 Jul 2017, 22:31

bobzilla77 wrote:I'm less clear about those shadowy vagrants who seem to have plenty of destructive power of their own, especially if they can put half the town to sleep just by taking over the airwaves and crush skulls like eggshells with bare hands. Something like them also showed up when Bad Coop was shot by Ray

Referring to the credits, the main "got a light" guy was listed as "Woodsman". That was what Jürgen Prochnow was credited as in Fire Walk With Me - he just sat there in a brief Black Lodge sequence, though.

Remarkable and unsettling episode, I thought. Halfway through the atom bomb and White Lodge (?) bit I was getting restless, wanting to go back to Coop, but by the end I was left feeling pretty shellshocked.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jul 2017, 09:44

bobzilla77 wrote:
Just from a purely technical level that was stupendous. The cinematography and the soundtrack were stellar.

Loved the whole birth of BOB thing. Did the nuke rip a hole in time and space so that the evil spirits could descend? Is it just symbolic of the evil that men do? Does it matter? What a sequence.

Loved Evil Coopers death and rebirth. The blob with Bobs face on it was horrible (reminiscent of the new “arm”)

So the white lodge created Laura as a counter balance to Bob? Or perhaps as a trap? Is Laura going to be part of the final battle against BOB? It looks like she just might.

What’s really obvious too is how Lynch and Frost have tried to link the original series to this one with all kinds of references. Remember when the man from another place said they are from a place where this is “always music in the air”? There’s real attention to detail here.

I would assume it will be back to “normal” for the next episode and interestingly there is a two week break

I do think the bug/ frog thing - EWWWWW!! that was horrifying! - that hatched in the desert is the physical manifestation of Bob. He had to pass through the nuclear explosion in pod form, now he's hatched. I don't know who the girl is, but I don't know that it matters. We know that Bob can move from person to person if he feels like it. Maybe that girl murdered that nice boy who was so shy about kissing her, and when she was executed he moved to somebody else, and so on, making his way from New Mexico up to the Pacific Northwest. Maybe that will be Season 4 - Bob Takes Over America, tracing his adventures from 1956-89.

I don't know. Bob possessed Lleland when he was a little boy remember and Lleland was born in 44. The girl is from 1956.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Jul 2017, 13:35

Stayed up to watch the latest episode. Nothing really new happened so it was a bit uneventful. Lynch can not keep his hands off Agent Preston, i mean every opportunity.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 10 Jul 2017, 18:40

That episode was more about establishing motivation for future episodes. We can now see how the major the plot threads somewhat connect with each other. It wasn't the cinematic experience as Part 8, but still offered many interesting developments.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 Jul 2017, 15:55

A minor episode - maybe predictably after last time out - but some interesting developments, particularly the whole Briggs story and Matthew Lillards character. It was sweet to know that Major Briggs vision of Bobbys future has come true. Some nice comedic moments too. I have to say I'm loving Lynch's performance

Return to “Screenadelica”