Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Tom Waits For No One

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 14 May 2017, 00:16

Luke Haines at The Cluny-Newcastle
Guitar, kazoo and a book.
Brilliant. Catch him live if you get the chance.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 16 May 2017, 15:13

I, myself, supported Ian Hunter and the Rant Band this past Saturday at a lovely old venue* in Chicago (it was the Studio 54 of the Midwest back in the late 1970s/early 1980s, and is largely unchanged). Just me and a guitar and my voice in front of (approx) 7-800 punters. Put some hair on my chest, for sure.

Ian is 77 now! He will turn 78 on this tour. And he is a force of nature. I liked his newer songs every bit as much as I enjoyed the classics. Glad he is still out there sharing his gift.

Had a lovely time chatting with his drummer (78-80 era Wings alumnus Steve Holley - very gracious, signed my little boy's copy of Back to the Egg and told me loads of stories about that - long ago - part of his life).

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_West_(music_venue)

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 03 Jun 2017, 20:19

The Skids - Manchester Ritz

Apart from getting a bit arsey about TV Stars, Jobson was on top form, non stop bad dancing from start to finish. Great going for a 56 year old.

Peas sure sound divine.
Give a shit or be a shit.

Nuts

Postby Nuts » 07 Jun 2017, 10:56

The Kills - Shepherds Bush Empire - first time seeing them - pretty good - just could have done without the bloke in front wearing a fucking hat - who wears a fucking great big hat to a gig?!?
The Charlatans the week before at the Hippodrome, Kingston - they sounded great but the venue is shite.
Maximo Park - Royal Festival Hall - great gig - we were about 6 rows from the front and everyone was stood up, this meant that we were on the same level as the band and it felt like being at their rehearsal. They played and sounded great, best I've seen them.
King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard next week.
Information is not knowledge. Knowledge is not wisdom. Wisdom is not truth. Truth is not beauty. Beauty is not love. Love is not music. Music is the best…

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 07 Jun 2017, 20:36

Nuts wrote:The Kills - Shepherds Bush Empire - first time seeing them - pretty good - just could have done without the bloke in front wearing a fucking hat - who wears a fucking great big hat to a gig?!?

ugh hate those people with the hat or tall people in the front row at a standing small venue where the tall guy is basically blocking the musician for everyone not in the front row.

love the Kills by the way seen them a bunch of times although not recently.

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 07 Jun 2017, 23:03

The Burning Hell at the Ivy House in Nunhead. One of my favourite bands of the past decade at one of my favourite venues. I like the records, I love the singles, but live these guys are in another dimension. The two shows I have seen in the past year have each been one long audience singalong, their single 'Pass The Wine, Fuck The Government, I Love You' being particularly apt at present.

Also a band that seems constantly surprised how adored and venerated they are in the UK, which is charming. Long may they reign, soon may they return.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 07 Jun 2017, 23:43

Thanks to an alert from Minnie, we'll be attending Woody Woodmansey in conversation at the Woolpack here in York tomorrow night :)
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 28 Jun 2017, 04:42

Just back from a nIce 3 day weekend of Wilco Solid Sound Festival. A very nicely done medium sized festival in the berkshires in Mass.
It's on the site of Mass MOCA(Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art) so you also get to see the museum. Cool exhibits by James Turrell and Nick Cave (not that one). This is the fifth one but I've never gone. First day featured Phil and David Alvin who did a nice cover of I've Got a Line on You.
Then Wilco gave us a treat as they started off playing the Entire Album "Being There", which was voted on by the fans to play, they then treated us to the entire album "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot ".

Day two - was full of music favorites were Big Thief, Deep Sea Diver, Yuka Honda and Nels Cline, Kevin Morby, Peter Wolf, Television (hadn't seen them in 39 years)-great set the band was very tight, Kurt Vile and another great set from Wilco.

Day Three - we just caught Nels Cline Four and Tweedy and Friends.

some pictures

Big Thief
Kevin Morby
The grounds
Peter Wolf
Nels Cline -Wilco
Tweedy

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 28 Jun 2017, 11:37

Hightea wrote:
Nuts wrote:The Kills - Shepherds Bush Empire - first time seeing them - pretty good - just could have done without the bloke in front wearing a fucking hat - who wears a fucking great big hat to a gig?!?

ugh hate those people with the hat or tall people in the front row at a standing small venue where the tall guy is basically blocking the musician for everyone not in the front row.

love the Kills by the way seen them a bunch of times although not recently.

About 6 months ago I randomly bumped into Alison at a bar in New York and spent half an hour chatting with her. It is perhaps worth noting that she is my "pass", the celebrity that my wife would "allow" me to get together with if I ever met her, and I couldn't quite believe that I was there talking to her (particularly in New York, as she actually lives, or used to live, not far from me at all in London and it would've been more likely that I would bump into her there). She ended up going away to record a Late Night (with Jimmy Fallon i think) - and about an hour or so after meeting her I saw her on the TV at the bar doing that performance.

Funnily enough, my wife has also met her "pass" - Vincent Cassel - although I happened to be there monitoring things :) .
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 28 Jun 2017, 15:20

Badbadnotgood - Sugar Club Dublin
The best fun I've ever had seeing a jazz (based) band - next up Kamasi Washing tomorrow

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 28 Jun 2017, 19:14

Tactful Cactus wrote:Badbadnotgood - Sugar Club Dublin
The best fun I've ever had seeing a jazz (based) band - next up Kamasi Washing tomorrow

I've been wanting to see them. Keep missing them or they are at festivals I don't care about. SOmeday, good to hear they are fun live.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 28 Jun 2017, 19:17

Hightea wrote:Wilco Solid Sound Festival

Did the Shaggs play?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 28 Jun 2017, 22:28

Bent Fabric wrote:
Hightea wrote:Wilco Solid Sound Festival

Did the Shaggs play?

yes they did - I only caught a little of their set. Thought it would be good but they sounded out of tune, out sync and barely could sing. Maybe that is what they sounded back in the day too but I thought they were horrible. Note: there were alot of people enjoying the set but I wasn't one of them.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 30 Jun 2017, 07:17

u2 at Metlife Stadium, NJ
always an experience. This was tied around the Joshua Tree and a 200 foot video screen. Cool visuals and Bono's vocals were excellent.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 02 Jul 2017, 16:33

Kamasi Washington, NCH Dublin. Awesome gig, moments where his playing was barely above a whisper, could have heard a pin drop, and what a band - two drummers, keys, bass, vocal, trombone, clarinet/flute

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 03 Jul 2017, 12:44

Kamasi and Ryley Walker are on my must see list.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 06 Jul 2017, 16:50

I saw Roger Waters' 'Us and Them' show this weekend. Recommended for fans of the 70's version of the band. He and his band played nearly all of 'Dark Side of the Moon,' a couple tracks from 'Wish You Were Here', two from 'Animals,' several from the 'the Wall' and even did "One of These Days," with songs from his current album sprinkled in the set. As always, it was a visual treat. Even having seen photos from earlier shows on the tour, I was surprised at how much of the show was devoted to Trump-bashing. Almost too much, really, 'cause the unflattering images and dumb Trump quotes are amusing for a while but it goes on and on. Still it was heartening to see the positive reaction to the "resist" tee shirts worn the kids who sang "Another Brick in the Wall," deep in the heart of Texas. For that matter, Bruce Dickinson received a similar warm response with his less overtly political denunciation of divisive political rhetoric when Iron Maiden played in the same arena exactly one week before that.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 25 Jul 2017, 23:48

Last Tuesday I saw Elvis Costello and the Impostors on their "'Imperial Bedroom and Other Chambers" tour. They played, I believe, every single track on the original album except for "Town Crier." "Tears Before Bedtime" had a drastically different, bluesy arrangement. A good 90% of the set was early Elvis/Attractions material, with songs from every album up to 'Punch the Clock.' He also played one song from 'King of America' which happened to be my favorite. The band included Steve Nieve and Pete Thomas, which was a real thrill for me since I hadn't seen them play with Elvis before. I got rained on quite a bit during the first part of the show, but I'm glad I stuck it out.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 31 Jul 2017, 09:29

Just back from Fuji Rock and there was a lot of dross, way too much thumpy techno for my taste.

The stand out band was the Marcus King Band, a combination of the Allman Brothers and Chicago. Deep rootsy singing and guitar chops loaded with climaxes, like he was cumming over me over and over - in my ears of course. Elvin Bishop joined in for a jam! King left Bishop in the dust. (Insert chess metaphor here.)

Honorable mentions go to Ron Sexsmith and to Western Caravan, a honky tonky, Commander Cody-style, virtuosic, thoroughly entertaining combo.

I skipped headliner Byork to see Thundercat. He is a great bassist and a soulful performer but my feet were so tired and well, he was too good for my mood. My wife and friend stayed for Byork and they said it was good I gave her a miss, that she was too unfriendly, way too artsy-fartsy for the thousands who'd come to see her.
Question authority.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 31 Jul 2017, 15:36

Dionne Warwick, outdoors at Lincoln Center. She can still sing, but she doesn't have a lot of physical stamina otherwise. She turned in a half hour set featuring a breathtaking run of Bacharach/David songs, followed by ten minutes' worth of "That's What Friends Are For," which rather spoiled the mood, being an utterly shit song.

Still, those 20 minutes were heaven.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Return to “Yakety Yak”