No votes
No
100%

Total votes: 7

Dr Markus

Are You Guilty Of This?

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Jun 2017, 19:01

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20170616-the-joy-of-hate-watching

Watching a film, TV show or music video you despise can offer its own pleasure – and, surprisingly, hatred can spawn success, writes Jennifer Keishin Armstrong.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

algroth

Re: Are You Guilty Of This?

Postby algroth » 27 Jun 2017, 19:54

I'll go ahead and safely say 'no'. I on occasions watch a film I expect to hate but only on the hopes that it may prove me wrong - it's how I gave Suicide Squad a watch and not Transformers for example (mind, the former was still shite, but I was all the same hoping it wouldn't be). On the other hand I've also given a couple of films like Samurai Cop and The Room a watch out of sheer morbidity and did not enjoy the *experience* of watching and making fun of them either - one or two risible scenes aside I was mostly bored throughout, and thus haven't really done it since. Nowadays I generally find less appeal in talking about things I hate than things I love, so likewise familiarizing myself with films and series that have absolutely no appeal to me is pretty surely out of my list of things to do.

driftin

Postby driftin » 27 Jun 2017, 20:23

Absolutely not.

I stopped watching shows I initially enjoyed which then took a nosedive in quality. The Walking Dead, Mr. Robot, and Dexter for example. Television shows take up so much time that I don't see the point in not enjoying them for the sake of it possibly becoming better. If they do actually become better without my knowledge then it's my loss but you'll find me watching and hopefully enjoying something else by then.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 27 Jun 2017, 20:39

driftin wrote:Absolutely not.

I stopped watching shows I initially enjoyed which then took a nosedive in quality. The Walking Dead, Mr. Robot, and Dexter for example. Television shows take up so much time that I don't see the point in not enjoying them for the sake of it possibly becoming better. If they do actually become better without my knowledge then it's my loss but you'll find me watching and hopefully enjoying something else by then.

You gave up on Mr Robot?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 27 Jun 2017, 21:27

Sometimes I get a little bit interested in the Bachelor/ ette when my wife is into it. Sometimes I make fun of the people until she makes me leave. Other times I get up and leave on my own. Nevertheless yes I have had opinions about which person the Bachelor/ette should pick, which one would be the most fun on a date, which would be the best life partner etc.

It's all bullshit and this year it may have reached the point of truly offensive. The plot line of last night's episode is that a gleefully offensive racist guy and a black pro wrestler are going on a double date with the bachelorette, who is black. I just had to get up and walk out at some point.

I will see some more of it next week, I'm just certain of it.

I also watched that cop/murder show The Following long after it had become preposterous and just numbingly violent and ugly. I try not to do that any more.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jun 2017, 02:10

The article is a bit silly in my view, no one watches something (unless it's kind of forced upon them) they actively hate. There can certainly be a pleasure in enjoying 'bad' films however. I'm forever watching crappy British films from the early 70s for example, but I think that's different

driftin

Postby driftin » 28 Jun 2017, 14:15

The Great Defector wrote:

You gave up on Mr Robot?

Yep, after two or three episodes of Season 2.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 28 Jun 2017, 14:17

driftin wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:

You gave up on Mr Robot?

Yep, after two or three episodes of Season 2.

Ah man, I'm loving it. Maybe give it another go, it's worth the wait.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 28 Jun 2017, 14:39

I don't have time to watch the things I WANT to watch.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 28 Jun 2017, 17:16

I gather it's watching something you had primed yourself for to adore it, you may be a member of its target audience, you're all set to become a fan - and then it doesn't work out. And then you obsessively analyze it, to find out in detail why it failed to work for you.

In other words: you want to be the ideal director for it, the one who would've made it the best piece of entertainment ever.

I never engaged in this. I am a member of a well known Beach Boys fansite, but I always have to laugh mildly when folks go into the hottest of debates over what flaws a wonderful project like The Smile Sessions has; which minute parts (sometimes seconds) should have been left off, or inserted; and what a better sequencing of tracks should look like.

They want to be Mark Linett, Alan Boyd (the producers), and Brian Wilson in one person.

I marvel at the effort and time that go into such discussions.

I try to be thankful that we got that set in the first place.

Oh, I do have one example that is fitting more precisely into this topic: Ian McEwan's Saturday could have been a masterwork in psychological crime fiction.

But it isn't.

McEwan drew out two scenes in the story, into unbearable and tedious length. Actually, they read like vanity shows: look how much I, the writer, know about how it is to play squash; and look, how much I, the writer, know in detail how... (I won't give away this one, those who read it know what I mean).

After reading it I thought: had he skipped those scenes, it would've been a classic.

But I never gave this a second thought.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Worst examples of self-imposed censorship by a TV station or airline

Postby ... » 28 Jun 2017, 18:15

Sorry, see seperate thread about egregious examples of self-imposed censorship by a TV station or airline
Last edited by ... on 01 Jul 2017, 12:43, edited 1 time in total.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 28 Jun 2017, 18:39

I'm confused. The above post seems to belong to a totally separate thread.

Return to “Screenadelica”