YOUR top 100

..and why not?
hippopotamus

YOUR top 100

Postby hippopotamus » 08 Jun 2017, 19:14

How did you choose?
What qualities do films have to have to be great enough to make the cut?
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Jimbly

Re: YOUR top 100

Postby Jimbly » 08 Jun 2017, 20:20

have i bought them in different formats over the years?

that would be a starter for me
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 08 Jun 2017, 21:27

I've not seen a film in the last few years that meant anything to me. I could have put the exact same list I sent in 2011 and probably would have if I had kept it somewhere.
I run out of talent

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 09 Jun 2017, 02:21

Just made a list of my favorites and then pared it down, trying to preserve diversity in terms of genre/era and represented directors.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 09 Jun 2017, 07:37

pcqgod wrote:Just made a list of my favorites and then pared it down, trying to preserve diversity in terms of genre/era and represented directors.

Sure...
But what makes your favourites your favourites?

I mean with the list so far, I've found I've seen a lot of them that other people vote for, and might even acknowledge that I can see why people might vote for them but they couldn't be my Favourite. Not by a long shot.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

joels344

Postby joels344 » 09 Jun 2017, 15:39

That's a good question on list organization and defining favorite films. I would define favorite films to be films I consider cinematic masterpieces (films that I rate 5/5). Ignoring all the technical filmmaking aspects, a masterpiece for me usually means films that operate as an experience with the ability to place me in another world through the use of attentive visuals, emotional resonance, humanistic/memorable characters, and successfully incorporates immersive thematic elements. From here, it's one of those situations where I pick a list of absolute favorites, say, an all-time 10 favorite films, then organize them based on subjective ranking. Once that's finished, I begin adding more and more films to the possible remaining 90 slots. I'm actually in the process of finally making a Top 100.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 10 Jun 2017, 10:00

hippopotamus wrote:How did you choose?

I started by just listing all of my favorite movies chronologically since I was born. So it began with things I saw as a young child (The Jungle Book, the Birds, the Trouble with Harry, Beau Geste, Duck Soup) and worked up to stuff I saw in the last couple years (Moonlight, Fury Road, Inside Out, Your Name, Get Out). That process got me a list of about 200 films.

Then I went on Facebook and Myspace and looked at what I listed there as my favorite movies. Then I went down my list of DVDs and Blu-ray and VHS. I wound up with about 280 films.

To make sure I didn't forget anything important I looked at what had been submitted previously on here and then I went online and looked at things like afi's top 100 films and the British film institute's list and people on IMDb listing their favorite German films, cult films or favorite war films etc... Then I filled in the things I'd forgotten initially, but loved and felt were brilliant from those and I suddenly wound up with the list of about 412 films.

Then because I have a visual processing disorder, I just sorted all of them in Excel by year and went decade-by-decade choosing a couple of films I felt exemplified my tastes and stood out for each decade. I tried not to put in more than one film by the same director, or featuring the same leading actors. I tried to pick from different genres, different Studios and different writers. I tried to find a representative film from each Nation. I let myself include cult favorites that I ranked higher than cinematic masterpieces. And finally, if I hadn't watched the film at least three times I took it off the list. And that's how I ended up with 128 and then finally 78 films.

I submitted my top 50 by looking at the bottom and moving it forward if the one above it was more important to me, until I had ranked them all more or less in order of preference. Then I formatted the top 50 in the style that Algroth asked for, put them in alphabetical order and assigned some points to them, and submitted it.
--m.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 10 Jun 2017, 10:58

martha wrote:
hippopotamus wrote:How did you choose?

I started by just listing all of my favorite movies chronologically since I was born.

I like that it seems that's the easiest part of your selection.

Is it so easy to decide your very favourites?

For me, I've always been pretty sure about things I like. With films in particular, they make an impression on me, and they stay with me.
I grew up watching just so Very many films as they came on TV, and trying to make a mental note to remember the titles so they could go "in the vault" and remember: these are great films.

When it became easier to Get these films, I've been trying to track them down in my brain and then in the world to see if my little self was right.

I never really trust time. I don't know if I was just susceptible and thats why I liked that thing. Of course, one can also over play something, and the more you like it, the easier it might be to question the objective GOODNESS of a thing. And maybe that doesn't matter too much. But I do think it will be a marker if you were to see it 10 years after the fact, whether you'll still enjoy it.

I've suprised myself with my inclusion of certain films over others. For me, one reason why some films stand out, is because I believe them to be exceptional in their Class of film. I think that's a tough call to make. My favourite films tend to be by my favourite directors.. and therefore they can't all stand out easily. So historical significance seems to count for something for me.

I really regret not voting for The Trouble with Harry.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 10 Jun 2017, 11:00

joels344 wrote:That's a good question on list organization and defining favorite films. I would define favorite films to be films I consider cinematic masterpieces (films that I rate 5/5). Ignoring all the technical filmmaking aspects, a masterpiece for me usually means films that operate as an experience with the ability to place me in another world through the use of attentive visuals, emotional resonance, humanistic/memorable characters, and successfully incorporates immersive thematic elements. From here, it's one of those situations where I pick a list of absolute favorites, say, an all-time 10 favorite films, then organize them based on subjective ranking. Once that's finished, I begin adding more and more films to the possible remaining 90 slots. I'm actually in the process of finally making a Top 100.

I think I work the other way. From subjectivity to objective validity of placing them there.

I wonder if the same person worked two different systems they would end up with the same list.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 10 Jun 2017, 16:11

A top 100 would have been easier. We were limited to 50 this time...so a lot of tough decisions had to be made.

Ultimately I just listed the films that felt most unresolved for me. If they crossed my mind and I found myself still trying to understand them...I generally put them on my list.

I'd hoped for a more idiosyncratic list, but 50 slots is challenging. For every Chinatown, Vertigo or Citizen Kane I left off (justifying that they didn't need my vote), there were 10 other acknowledged classics that seemed more likely to be ignored.

In the end...I just went with things that felt important to me in the moment.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 10 Jun 2017, 18:04

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:A top 100 would have been easier. We were limited to 50 this time...so a lot of tough decisions had to be made.

Ultimately I just listed the films that felt most unresolved for me. If they crossed my mind and I found myself still trying to understand them...I generally put them on my list.

I'd hoped for a more idiosyncratic list, but 50 slots is challenging. For every Chinatown, Vertigo or Citizen Kane I left off (justifying that they didn't need my vote), there were 10 other acknowledged classics that seemed more likely to be ignored.

I'm not sure why but it does seem to be the difference between 50 and 100.

Maybe longer lists are easier, but I think they are more nuanced. I think the majority of my 50 were those that I couldn't possibly leave off, for one reason or the other.... But 100 shows off more different kinds of films, and whims. I couldn't include films I'd seen once years ago in my top 50, but one could be more daring in a top 100.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 11 Jun 2017, 21:16

hippopotamus wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Just made a list of my favorites and then pared it down, trying to preserve diversity in terms of genre/era and represented directors.

Sure...
But what makes your favourites your favourites?

I mean with the list so far, I've found I've seen a lot of them that other people vote for, and might even acknowledge that I can see why people might vote for them but they couldn't be my Favourite. Not by a long shot.

I think that would be like trying to explain why I'm attracted to some women more than others, or prefer some foods to others. Most that made my list I've known for decades and I don't even think that hard about why I like them. I will say that my favorite movies generally draw me into their world so that I fully believe this is a real, three-dimensional world somewhere, whether in a another city, another time period, or other world.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Dayodead

Postby Dayodead » 18 Jun 2017, 16:15

Never made a Top 100...Task seems monumental...Top 10's from each year are doable...Guess I'd combine my Top 10 or 20 from each year and pare them down according to my perceived quality and impact upon me.....

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Jun 2017, 11:00

I try to pick a balance of films I love and have watched so many times they are like old friends (Aliens, Blue Velvet, Raiders of the Lost Ark) and films which I have only seen maybe a handful of times at bets but they’ve had a huge impact on me nevertheless (Persona, The Vanishing, Snowtown).

I keep lists these days of my favourite films/albums etc so it's easy(ish) for me to pick a top 50 although inevitably you have to be quite tough. I could pick another 50 films quite easily but, like, albums, my favourites have been the same for a long time although new movies do appear on my list. For example I only saw Sunset Boulevard fairly recently and loved it to bits so that's in there.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

algroth

Postby algroth » 25 Jun 2017, 19:01

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:A top 100 would have been easier. We were limited to 50 this time...so a lot of tough decisions had to be made.

I wouldn't mind doing a 100-films-per-user poll some time in the future, but I was hoping I could attract a greater portion of BCB, many of whom already voiced complaints last time around when we did lists of 50 as well. I know I'd have loved to get the chance to include a few more at least! :D

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 26 Jun 2017, 13:12

Wasn't a complaint Al. I'm more than appreciative of what you are doing.

I just found it hard making room for some of my smaller oddball obsessions if it meant leaving out something that feels weightier.

That said...somehow I left off Citizen Kane - so it wasn't all that locked in.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 27 Jun 2017, 06:52

algroth wrote:
I wouldn't mind doing a 100-films-per-user poll some time in the future, but I was hoping I could attract a greater portion of BCB, many of whom already voiced complaints last time around when we did lists of 50 as well. I know I'd have loved to get the chance to include a few more at least! :D

Yeah there were several people saying they couldn't name 50 films or be interested enough to come up with that many films in response to Algroth. I was surprised, but I guess on a film site if we asked the members to list their top 100 albums there would be a similar reaction.

But 50 films is nothing. I mean...most of us have been alive for at least 40 years...in my 47 years of life I've seen at least two movies a year since early childhood in the theatres and countless more on TV. Nowadays with streaming services, I binge watch my way through movies. So I was surprised that there really were people on here who haven't seen 50 films they liked in their life... I'd be equally surprised if it were books.

Someone should do a 100 greatest books thread. I've been wanting to do a BCBers favorite children's books poll for awhile.
--m.

algroth

Postby algroth » 27 Jun 2017, 08:00

martha wrote:
algroth wrote:

Yeah there were several people saying they couldn't name 50 films or be interested enough to come up with that many films in response to Algroth. I was surprised, but I guess on a film site if we asked the members to list their top 100 albums there would be a similar reaction.

But 50 films is nothing. I mean...most of us have been alive for at least 40 years...in my 47 years of life I've seen at least two movies a year since early childhood in the theatres and countless more on TV. Nowadays with streaming services, I binge watch my way through movies. So I was surprised that there really were people on here who haven't seen 50 films they liked in their life... I'd be equally surprised if it were books.

Someone should do a 100 greatest books thread. I've been wanting to do a BCBers favorite children's books poll for awhile.

I'd be up for taking part in a greatest books poll! Unfortunately as a kid I was never much of a reader and so my knowledge of children's books is pretty non-existent. :oops:

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 27 Jun 2017, 09:31

Yeah I just love children's lit. It's a soft spot for me.

I've wanted to do a books thing for awhile and maybe break it down by category.
--m.

Return to “Screenadelica”