Rogue One trailer

..and why not?
pcqgod

Re: Rogue One trailer

Postby pcqgod » 18 Dec 2016, 21:32

I watched it yesterday. It is clearly now the first SW film to be influenced my modern day urban warfare in the Middle East. Grittier...sure, but still somewhat glosses over the nastier aspects of war, and winds up being a slaughter of hapless Stormtroopers who seem easier to kill than ever. I mean, just point a blaster in their direction....
Only one character gets a back-story, and that's the main character. The backstory and main story, all standard stuff, nothing too surprising. I was also hoping for some deeper ruminations about war and rebellion than statements like "rebellions are based on hope."

Vader's first appearance just disappointed, although the final scene made up for that. The new droid character was fun. I give it a B minus, overall. Worth watching if you're a Star Wars fan, because it's so obviously targeted to them with the zillions of references to the previous movies. Which leads me to the conclusion that the reason so many of the sequels have been so disappointing is that they all rely so heavily on concepts introduced in the original.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 19 Dec 2016, 16:10

K wrote:
pcqgod wrote:...Which leads me to the conclusion that the reason so many of the sequels have been so disappointing is that they all rely so heavily on concepts introduced in the original.

Isn't that the point of sequels?

I probably should have written "...rely too heavily on concepts introduced in the original." Obviously, sequels are based on a previous story, but ideally they have their own original elements, whether in story, characters, setting, etc. When I saw the first Star Wars as a boy I had my eyes opened to this incredible unimagined and seemingly limitless universe. After 'The Empire Strikes Back,' it seemed the Star Wars universe, rather than seeming limitless, started to shrink. We kept going back to Tatooine. There was another all-desert planet in the last movie. The Death Star keeps coming back in new or old incarnations. In 'Rouge One,' the main character lives on a moisture farm exactly like the one Luke lived in, down to little details like the blue milk. I know that seeing stuff like this gives hardcore SW fans the warm fuzzies, and I'm not immune to the nostalgia factor, and the sense that there is a consistent, established universe is always a good thing for this kind of fiction. It just seems that there could be a bit more originality, here and there.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 Dec 2016, 22:41

To be fair, it takes place in a galaxy, and not the universe. Could just be a really small galaxy, is all.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 23 Dec 2016, 13:19

Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Jan 2017, 18:52

Belle Lettre wrote:It was ace. Had the devil of a job convincing my daughter that Peter Cushing has been dead for years.

Ha, ha - Derek didn't realize he was CGI either.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Jan 2017, 18:53

pcqgod wrote:I watched it yesterday. It is clearly now the first SW film to be influenced my modern day urban warfare in the Middle East. Grittier...sure, but still somewhat glosses over the nastier aspects of war, and winds up being a slaughter of hapless Stormtroopers who seem easier to kill than ever. I mean, just point a blaster in their direction....
Only one character gets a back-story, and that's the main character. The backstory and main story, all standard stuff, nothing too surprising. I was also hoping for some deeper ruminations about war and rebellion than statements like "rebellions are based on hope."

Vader's first appearance just disappointed, although the final scene made up for that. The new droid character was fun. I give it a B minus, overall. Worth watching if you're a Star Wars fan, because it's so obviously targeted to them with the zillions of references to the previous movies. Which leads me to the conclusion that the reason so many of the sequels have been so disappointing is that they all rely so heavily on concepts introduced in the original.

Can't argue too much with any of that.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Jan 2017, 10:00

The music wasn't very good. Apart from that, I thought it was a great Star Wars film and not much else. The Droid was by far the best thing about it, alongside the continual nods to the Star Wars universe via ships old and new and characters (such as Dr Evazan) that repeatedly fired synaptic pellets of nostalgic pleasure into my brain.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jan 2017, 10:24

I really enjoyed it. Yeah, it’s a straightforward Dirty Dozen style war movie but it ticks all the boxes and deepened the story nicely. I mean you know the empire are Evil and the rebellion is on the edge but not quite this much on the edge. The highlight for me was the rush towards the end of the movie as it segues into A New Hope. That made me go a bit tingly. I think they handled that really well and of course Vadar in the tunnel is the highlight of the whole movie. Total badass and there’s real desperation from the rebels there. The dude shouting “help us!”, the door ajar just enough to hand the disc through, the dude shouting “launch!”, Vadar staring out into space. So close yet so far. Great stuff!

I did find the CGI Cushing slightly jarring I have to say. The Carrie Fisher one less so. I’m not sure they needed to show Leia’s face though. It might have been nice to just see the disc being handed over or something. Any fan recognises the dress, we know what’s going on and the significance of it. It’s a huge moment in the saga of course and seeing what came before and then seeing the moment from a new angle was nice. Like I said, there was a real rush there, like watching history unfold but from a fresh perspective.

I’ll go and see it again soon.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 06 Jan 2017, 10:28

Toby wrote:The music wasn't very good. Apart from that, I thought it was a great Star Wars film and not much else. The Droid was by far the best thing about it, alongside the continual nods to the Star Wars universe via ships old and new and characters (such as Dr Evazan) that repeatedly fired synaptic pellets of nostalgic pleasure into my brain.

I'm not sure how I feel about that though. Part of me wishes they'd just cut the chord and show new stuff instead of inserting footage from 40 years ago even if it's all very well done. It just jars a bit but, like you say, it does hit pleasure spots. Both new films have hit those spots for me but Episode 8 needs to really stretch out and do something new. I think it will. In the meantime this hit the spot. It's not a great film - are any of them really? - but I don't need that from a Star Wars movie. This was comfortably above what I was expecting.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Jan 2017, 00:06

Goat Boy wrote:
Toby wrote:The music wasn't very good. Apart from that, I thought it was a great Star Wars film and not much else. The Droid was by far the best thing about it, alongside the continual nods to the Star Wars universe via ships old and new and characters (such as Dr Evazan) that repeatedly fired synaptic pellets of nostalgic pleasure into my brain.

I'm not sure how I feel about that though. Part of me wishes they'd just cut the chord and show new stuff instead of inserting footage from 40 years ago even if it's all very well done. It just jars a bit but, like you say, it does hit pleasure spots. Both new films have hit those spots for me but Episode 8 needs to really stretch out and do something new. I think it will. In the meantime this hit the spot. It's not a great film - are any of them really? - but I don't need that from a Star Wars movie. This was comfortably above what I was expecting.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-director-of- ... 1790978464

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Jan 2017, 02:36

Goat Boy wrote:I really enjoyed it. Yeah, it’s a straightforward Dirty Dozen style war movie but it ticks all the boxes and deepened the story nicely. I mean you know the empire are Evil and the rebellion is on the edge but not quite this much on the edge. The highlight for me was the rush towards the end of the movie as it segues into A New Hope. That made me go a bit tingly. I think they handled that really well and of course Vadar in the tunnel is the highlight of the whole movie. Total badass and there’s real desperation from the rebels there. The dude shouting “help us!”, the door ajar just enough to hand the disc through, the dude shouting “launch!”, Vadar staring out into space. So close yet so far. Great stuff!

I did find the CGI Cushing slightly jarring I have to say. The Carrie Fisher one less so. I’m not sure they needed to show Leia’s face though. It might have been nice to just see the disc being handed over or something. Any fan recognises the dress, we know what’s going on and the significance of it. It’s a huge moment in the saga of course and seeing what came before and then seeing the moment from a new angle was nice. Like I said, there was a real rush there, like watching history unfold but from a fresh perspective.

I’ll go and see it again soon.

Yep, agree with you on pretty much all counts, except for the Cushing/Fisher aspect. I had no problem with seeing Cushing on the screen again like that, but found that final view of Leia's face quite jarring. A little more subtle, side-on angle was probably all they needed to complete the circle of the story .... but in many ways that was THE money shot for the whole 2nd half of the film. And it is Star Wars after all, so subtly isn't really an essential part of the deal.
The Vader scene at the end was fucking great, and in general i liked the way the story had a darker side - several characters in the film are clearly 'scarred' in some ways, and they discuss/react to some of these issues in ways we kind of haven't seen since "The Empire...". They do and say some things which show them to be torn between their own right and wrong in quite human, real ways, at least for a Star Wars film.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 10 Jan 2017, 14:24

I watched it again with the old man at the weekend. I found the Cushing thing less jarring I have to say. I think it helps that the scenes were usually quite dark when he was involved. Some of the mouth movements aren’t right but it was less of a problem this time around. Certainly it’s better than anything comparable I’ve ever seen.

I have to say the film went up in my estimation 2nd time around. There’s a few clunky moments of dialogue – as you’d expect – and some convenient plot devices (obviously) but really this is cracking stuff and raises the bar for Episode 8. It’s not Empire level (it lacks Star Wars magic but it's a very different film tonally) however it’s better than Jedi, it’s better than the Force Awakens and it’s miles ahead of the prequels. The team did a great job. I'm really looking forward to Episode 8 :)

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Jan 2017, 17:21

Goat Boy wrote:I watched it again with the old man at the weekend. I found the Cushing thing less jarring I have to say. I think it helps that the scenes were usually quite dark when he was involved. Some of the mouth movements aren’t right but it was less of a problem this time around. Certainly it’s better than anything comparable I’ve ever seen.

I have to say the film went up in my estimation 2nd time around. There’s a few clunky moments of dialogue – as you’d expect – and some convenient plot devices (obviously) but really this is cracking stuff and raises the bar for Episode 8. It’s not Empire level (it lacks Star Wars magic but it's a very different film tonally) however it’s better than Jedi, it’s better than the Force Awakens and it’s miles ahead of the prequels. The team did a great job. I'm really looking forward to Episode 8 :)

My son and I liked Force Awakens way more.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Apr 2017, 20:50

The Great Defector in Recent Viewing wrote:Image

Absolute poo. It was by the numbers money spinner. Couldn't make out a word the lead rebel actor dude was saying. About 2/3's way through the film, it was like "fuck, we forgot to throw in a bit of romance. We'll suddenly make it that the two lead actors fall for each other even though they have no chemistry at all and it hasn't been suggested anywhere through the film".

Just saw that as well. There are some very good bits in it - the final scramble to get the plans away, leading essentially straight to the opening sequence of IV, is fantastic - probably the best entertainment I've had in an extended sequence of Star Wars for 30 years. Amazing. I actually quite like the lead rebel guy and not sure why it was difficult to understand what he said - but don't think Jyn Eyrso was very well developed. How many orphans do we need here? I see almost no differences between Rey, Jyn and Leia, it's a bit tiring. Also a bit tiring with the strong focus on the Death Star (again)...feels like there should be other storylines out there that must bring a new dimension to this - particularly for something that has been positioned as being outside the official cannon. Otherwise, it just seems many of these characters could be broken out to have proper storylines of their own - Saw Guerrera was critical/mythical, but barely there. There were probably 2-3 characters too many - something that Serenity also suffered from, but at least it had a TV series behind it. After initially being not quite sure about Tarkin's appearance I ended up really quite liking it and wishing there was more - he was far more demonic than the main bad guy. But yeah, that final scene, really not sure about that. It has shock value for sure.

(after I wrote this I read the reviews here and a lot of what I felt about it has not surprisingly already been picked up on...and it seems GD already had his impression set in stone after the trailer...although I generally agree that what is obviously a very dark end of the movie loses its impact because you haven't had time to grow attached to most of the characters, and the romance falls flat)
Last edited by Geezee on 18 Apr 2017, 21:02, edited 1 time in total.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 18 Apr 2017, 21:16

I watched it at the weekend - and thought it was ace. Loads of little "yes!" moments, loved the reanimated characters - Tarkin showed real hissable evil and the payoff scene was great. The last third with the fight them on the beaches WW2 feel was a series highlight and Vader, as has been said, rocked. Just an absolute charge, pure entertainment. Episode 7 and this deliver so much more than the prequels it's funny. Roll on Episode 8...

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 16 Jun 2017, 04:21

Just finished watching it again, and reaffirmed my thinking that it really is a mighty fine film of its type.

If you strip away the more obvious Star Wars trappings - in particular the uplifting score, and the way we see things like the Death Star, the Star Destroyers, droids, Walkers, etc. which are inescapably part of the series' visual language - what you are left with is quite a dark but entertaining story about several generations of life during wartime. The types of loss, pain, hope, betrayal, sacrifice depicted by the various characters are pretty clear just beneath the airbrushed surface, and i find it the grittiness very welcome.

Really, try to watch it without some of the stirring Star Wars music going; it has a very different feel.

The Great Defector in Recent Viewing wrote:Absolute poo. It was by the numbers money spinner. Couldn't make out a word the lead rebel actor dude was saying. About 2/3's way through the film, it was like "fuck, we forgot to throw in a bit of romance. We'll suddenly make it that the two lead actors fall for each other even though they have no chemistry at all and it hasn't been suggested anywhere through the film.

Dead wrong about a lot of things here. And i could make out what the guy was saying just fine.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Jun 2017, 14:41

fange wrote:
The Great Defector in Recent Viewing wrote:Absolute poo. It was by the numbers money spinner. Couldn't make out a word the lead rebel actor dude was saying. About 2/3's way through the film, it was like "fuck, we forgot to throw in a bit of romance. We'll suddenly make it that the two lead actors fall for each other even though they have no chemistry at all and it hasn't been suggested anywhere through the film.

Dead wrong about a lot of things here. And i could make out what the guy was saying just fine.

No I'm not times infinity +1.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 16 Jun 2017, 14:53

Ok. But don't give up your day job.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Jun 2017, 15:29

fange wrote:Ok. But don't give up your day job.

It's more an afternoon/evening job but yeah I need the cash, so I won't.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 16 Jun 2017, 17:24

Actually if you're not a Star Wars fans it's really just OK and certainly nowhere near a good standalone war movie.
I run out of talent

Return to “Screenadelica”