film locations

..and why not?
Jimbly

film locations

Postby Jimbly » 12 Jun 2017, 19:02

Ever been in a place and it turned up as a film location. Don't mean famous places like Piccadilly Circus, Times Square etc. Just run of the mill places.

A pub around the corner from my aunt's in Raheny, Dublin was used in The Snapper, a sort of Commitments off shoot. As well as the hotel a short walk away from the pub.

well?
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

pcqgod

Re: film locations

Postby pcqgod » 12 Jun 2017, 19:25

I remember seeing a low-budget independent film on IFC or Sundance that used a small mall in downtown Laredo that I'd been in several times as a location. I think it was called 'Olympia.' The Ellen Page comedy 'Whip It' used several locations that would be familiar to any Austin native, and one shot in particular at Town Lake at a spot where I always used to rest on long walks/jogs.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 12 Jun 2017, 19:29

There's a greasy spoon just down from work that's always being used for film - it's got that classic diner look: long and narrow with padded booths along one wall opposite a counter with stools behind which the cooks do their thing.

My bandmate owns a bar that's been used a few times, although I've never seen it show up in anything I've watched, except for a recent Ron Sexsmith video, but it was turned into an animated cartoon for that.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 12 Jun 2017, 19:32

Jeemo wrote:A pub around the corner from my aunt's in Raheny, Dublin was used in The Snapper

Cedars! Been there

Commitments

I used to play pool in the "shithole" rehearsal space early on in the film

Also Mulligans pub was the boozer in My Left Foot, still going

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 12 Jun 2017, 19:43

I studied at Brunel University which was used extensively for A Clockwork Orange. I actually first saw that film during my time there and it felt really bizarre seeing places that I visited daily as film settings.
I run out of talent

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Jun 2017, 20:48

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Jeemo wrote:A pub around the corner from my aunt's in Raheny, Dublin was used in The Snapper

Cedars! Been there

Commitments

I used to play pool in the "shithole" rehearsal space early on in the film

Also Mulligans pub was the boozer in My Left Foot, still going

The Cedars which has never ever changed. Also just across from John K's home.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 12 Jun 2017, 22:38

I was sat watching Rita, Sue and Bob Too on TV in my house on Alexandra St, when the characters in the film ran down Alexandra St and started knocking on the door of a house that was opposite mine. I flung the door open fearing I was tripping. But no! Simply a crazy film location coincidence!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 12 Jun 2017, 23:33

Minnie the Minx wrote:I was sat watching Rita, Sue and Bob Too on TV in my house on Alexandra St, when the characters in the film ran down Alexandra St and started knocking on the door of a house that was opposite mine. I flung the door open fearing I was tripping. But no! Simply a crazy film location coincidence!

Fantastic
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

teenageriot-1

Postby teenageriot-1 » 13 Jun 2017, 06:28

I live about five minutes away from the liquor store that Smokey and Craig go to in the movie Friday. The one with Ezail in front.
"I'm always happy. I'm my mother's daughter!" - Jamie Buchman

teenageriot-1

Postby teenageriot-1 » 22 Jun 2017, 07:57

teenageriot-1 wrote:I live about five minutes away from the liquor store that Smokey and Craig go to in the movie Friday. The one with Ezail in front.

My roommate and I biked it to the liquor today and I tried to take a picture of it in the angle it came out in the movie but couldn't really recall. I really want to yank that banner and see if the RC Cola logo is still there.

Last edited by teenageriot-1 on 22 Jun 2017, 18:37, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm always happy. I'm my mother's daughter!" - Jamie Buchman

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 22 Jun 2017, 10:42

Excellent
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 22 Jun 2017, 10:53

I was watching some awful Bollywood film on a bus in India and one scene was filmed at a location I'd been to on the great ocean road in Australia. That was a bit odd
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “Screenadelica”