HIT!
50%

Total votes: 38

fange
100% fangetastic

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 12

Postby fange » 09 Jun 2017, 04:34

Doctor Ian Le wrote:
fange wrote:Most definitely a HIT. The fact that i don't really like it much - as a whole, anyway; i think parts of it are fabulously 80s - has absolutely nothing to do with it.

Poor show, fangey baby.

Ok it's not amazing and it's horribly overplayed, but even that hasn't brewed up enough ire in me to make me hate it, like say that FR David song 'Words'.

Is it my definition of a great song? Nah. But that synth hook makes me smile, and it brings up a fond nostalgia for me these days.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Jun 2017, 04:55

fange wrote:that FR David song 'Words'

THAT one fascinates me just by how utterly perfunctory it manages to be on every level.

It exists - it starts, it ends, but there's an almost platonic/heroic "Let's nobody knock ourselves out here" quality to it that I somehow can't turn away from. Like..."It's a Heartache" or "Stumblin' In" is "A Day In The Life" or "Rumble", comparatively speaking.

I'd had a conversation recently with a friend/colleague about music that could justifiably be referred to as pure "content" (emphasis on first syllable) - you can go ahead and sell it, put it on tape/wax/video/mp3, but to no discernible effect/purpose.

Christ, even the name of the act:

"Look, Fred - you're going into show business, you can call yourself anything you like. Let 'em know you're something special. You know...Freddie Mercury, Gary Glitter, Bob Dylan, Johnny Rotten, Ringo Starr..."

"Oh, I reckon 'FR David' should do the business."

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Jun 2017, 05:05

Bent Fabric wrote:
fange wrote:that FR David song 'Words'

THAT one fascinates me just by how utterly perfunctory it manages to be on every level.

It exists - it starts, it ends, but there's an almost platonic/heroic "Let's nobody knock ourselves out here" quality to it that I somehow can't turn away from. Like..."It's a Heartache" or "Stumblin' In" is "A Day In The Life" or "Rumble", comparatively speaking.

I'd had a conversation recently with a friend/colleague about music that could justifiably be referred to as pure "content" (emphasis on first syllable) - you can go ahead and sell it, put it on tape/wax/video/mp3, but to no discernible effect/purpose.

Christ, even the name of the act:

"Look, Fred - you're going into show business, you can call yourself anything you like. Let 'em know you're something special. You know...Freddie Mercury, Gary Glitter, Bob Dylan, Johnny Rotten, Ringo Starr..."

"Oh, I reckon 'FR David' should do the business."

:D

Hear, hear. I'm sure some masochistic person could make an entire doctoral thesis out of that song. It horrifies me and makes me want to break things, yet fascinates me too to find what people actually liked about it enough to make it a hit.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Jun 2017, 05:10

It sort of seems like the type of thing you'd find playing in a pub that has one cassette that just cycles through over and over on auto reverse (Jesus - that technology sounds almost exotic in 2017). None of the staff seems to care, mind or notice, and most of them don't know where the stereo is located.

I feel like the backstory is entirely ours to manufacture.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Jun 2017, 05:38

I don't think I've heard that particular song. But seldom does a day go by that I don't hear something that makes me think: The person (or persons) who started writing this song actually decided that it was worth finishing! Then somebody, maybe the same people, decided it was actually worth recording in a studio! And THEN somebody thought it was actually worth releasing to the public!

And thus my childlike sense of wonder is continually renewed.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 Jun 2017, 05:49

Charlie O. wrote:And thus my childlike sense of wonder is continually renewed.

I mean, it's a beautiful thing.

We all face the danger of becoming smug and jaded in our sense of "believing ourselves to understand how the world works". The process you describe is crucial in keeping us young.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 09 Jun 2017, 06:23

Naturally, it happens with movies, too:

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 09 Jun 2017, 08:06

Dave Marsh is in it! Fricking hell.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0385639/?ref_=nv_sr_1

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 09 Jun 2017, 08:13

Loki wrote:As far as I know (?) they were a one-hit wonder here. I doubt I've ever heard anything else by them.

Yeah I was wrong - I have heard "The Sun Always Shines on TV"

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 09 Jun 2017, 09:31

A definite hit, and Morten Harket sounds like a lovely village.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 Jun 2017, 12:24

Loki wrote:
Ranking Ted wrote:Oh crikey. I really like A-ha's run of hits which started with this

As far as I know (?) they were a one-hit wonder here. I doubt I've ever heard anything else by them.

They had a series of top 10 hits in the UK after this; the follow up (The Sun Alwars Shines On TV) got to number one.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 Jun 2017, 12:26

Loki wrote:
Loki wrote:As far as I know (?) they were a one-hit wonder here. I doubt I've ever heard anything else by them.

Yeah I was wrong - I have heard "The Sun Always Shines on TV"

Ah, you got there first! ;)

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 09 Jun 2017, 20:48

If I remember later maybe I'll listen to some of their other hits.....

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 09 Jun 2017, 21:14

Charlie O. wrote:I don't think I've heard that particular song. But seldom does a day go by that I don't hear something that makes me think: The person (or persons) who started writing this song actually decided that it was worth finishing! Then somebody, maybe the same people, decided it was actually worth recording in a studio! And THEN somebody thought it was actually worth releasing to the public!

I freaking love this, Charlie
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 10 Jun 2017, 02:59

I wish i still had my child-like sense of wonder.

But FR David stole it with his horrible song and scarred me for life. :cry:
Jonny Spencer wrote:

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 10 Jun 2017, 11:03

Bent Fabric wrote:It's one of those things that shouldn't work at all, but...here we are with me saying it most certainly does.

Quite.

I've been defiantly trying to disregard it for years.
I heard a Jazz fusion band play it the other year and now I realise I can't.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 10 Jun 2017, 11:11

Charlie O. wrote:I don't think I've heard that particular song. But seldom does a day go by that I don't hear something that makes me think: The person (or persons) who started writing this song actually decided that it was worth finishing! Then somebody, maybe the same people, decided it was actually worth recording in a studio! And THEN somebody thought it was actually worth releasing to the public!

I think this ALL the time. How do people go about and spend their TIME making something that they really hope other people will listen to and like. And it doesn't just happen every so often, there's TROVES of things people just make because they really felt they should, and somehow it gets to MY ears. And if it gets to MY ears-- there's a sort of unity in the world, where we're all sharing something. Even if it's a smug smile when you accidentally find yourself shamefully enjoying a song you intellectually decide is inferior. It's all pretty great that things Weren't in existence at some people, and then they Were, and we all know them, and there's "a spark of divine fire" that keeps that song from dying.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Modesty Forbids

Postby Modesty Forbids » 10 Jun 2017, 12:15

fange wrote:I wish i still had my child-like sense of wonder.

But FR David stole it with his horrible song and scarred me for life. :cry:

I've never heard (of) it and have managed to forget the soundtrack to A Ha's video.
There are upsides to being old.
once an adman, always a cunt

all / Life death does end, and each day dies with sleep

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 10 Jun 2017, 15:56

If we must choose between "shit" or "hit" options, then I must choose "hit."
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 11 Jun 2017, 12:55

Hm.

Well, someone needs to break the tie before I post my NEW AND INCREDIBLY EXCITING POLL!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Yakety Yak”