Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
driftin

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby driftin » 14 May 2017, 17:33

It's rubbish but it looks nice and has a couple of cool set pieces.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 May 2017, 20:23

First time I've ever seen it, I think, the Bourne films completely passed me by previously. I thought it was ok, but not really exceptional enough to have had a whole franchise of this kinda thing. I love the way a man on the run from secret services hides by parking his car on the banks of the seine with Notre Dame in the background. Hiding in plain view...
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 May 2017, 16:44

The Stone Killer
Average Bronson cop movie from the early '70s with Vietnam undertones. The plot is hard to follow and director Michael Winner made better films with Charles (Death Wish, The Mechanic, etc).

Saturday Night Fever
There are elements which have not survived the test of time (casual racism and misogyny), but this Scorsese-lite movie holds up fairly well. The soundtrack may be a time-piece, but I can remember all of these songs - and they were huge. Travolta never gave a better performance either.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 16 May 2017, 16:57

Darkness_Fish wrote:Image

First time I've ever seen it, I think, the Bourne films completely passed me by previously. I thought it was ok, but not really exceptional enough to have had a whole franchise of this kinda thing. I love the way a man on the run from secret services hides by parking his car on the banks of the seine with Notre Dame in the background. Hiding in plain view...

Prepare for motion sickness if you watch the rest. I fucking hate greengrass, but love the Bourne movie stories.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 16 May 2017, 20:25

Near Dark (1987)

Eh, I see how this could have excited people 30 years ago, I suppose.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 18 May 2017, 06:07

Who'll Stop the Rain

Now here's one I hadn't seen since it came out in the late '70s. Nolte is excellent as a merchant marine who smuggles heroin to the states from Vietnam as a favor for a friend - and who has to go on the lam with the friend's wife while being pursued by crooked narcs. The whole end-of-the-sixties pessimism is summed up quite well, and even though it's not as good as the novel (called Dog Soldiers), it's one of those lost minor classics which are fun to rediscover decades later.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 May 2017, 21:48

Matt Wilson wrote:as the novel (called Dog Soldiers),

Robert Stone? That was a good book. I didn't realize that movie was an adaptation of it.

Meanwhile,

Herzog's latest, a meditation on the Internet and the concomitant human evolution that's supposed to result from it. Ol' Werner collects a kooky cohort of sages, cranks, visionaries and weirdos to make pronouncements and predictions on AI, cyber-warfare/terrorism, what the internet (and we) will be like in the future, and related topics.

Not his best, but engaging as only the idiosyncratic man himself can be.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 19 May 2017, 16:11

Colossal (2017)

Anne Hathaway plays a woman going through a breakup and hard times in general who discovers that she is causing a giant monster to materialize and cause great destruction in South Korea. The movie is actually fairly dark and grounded in real-world problems than you would expect from this offbeat premise. Jason Sudeikis provides a surprisingly weighty performance.

Coherence (2013)

A group of friends meet for a dinner party as Miller's Comet makes a close fly-by of Earth. Things start getting weird and they discover that the comet has somehow created an alternate reality version of themselves in a nearby house. Then they realize that things are far worse, and multiple different reality versions of themselves are running around and getting mixed up. I liked this one a lot. Very creepy and fun.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 20 May 2017, 16:13

Gave these a watch on TCM last night even though I own them both on DVD and have seen each countless times.

I'll always associate Cool Hand Luke with my dad, since it was one of his favorites and he turned me on to it when I was a teen. Luke's character reminds me a lot of him as well.

Bonnie and Clyde doesn't have as much sentimental currency with me but it is still an all-time favorite - though, unlike Cool Hand Luke, it didn't make my list of 50 for that game or whatever it is here that is apparently never going to begin.

1967 was an amazing year for U.S. cinema. I'd love to see these two on the big screen one day.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 20 May 2017, 21:15

PresMuffley wrote:Image

Gave these a watch on TCM last night even though I own them both on DVD and have seen each countless times.

I'll always associate Cool Hand Luke with my dad, since it was one of his favorites and he turned me on to it when I was a teen. Luke's character reminds me a lot of him as well.

That's one of my all-time favourite films, Paul Newman's performance is absolutely towering, and George Kennedy is superb in support. It's a kind of a parallel to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, though I think Luke's character is more nuanced and more human than Mac. I don't think I've watched it nearly as often as I should have.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 20 May 2017, 21:20

Been yonks since I've seen this, but because the weather was crappy today, the three of us sat down and had a cinema afternoon. Tom loved it, but Jesus Christ that kid can talk. I've never been asked so many questions in a film, from was Hitler alive then, where actually is the ark, is that Han Solo, when Lou's cousin gets married next year, was the girl who's going to be the bride alive when Hitler was...

For my part, what I managed to watch of the film, the set pieces really stand up quite well, but it seems a really fractured narrative that doesn't actually flow that well. The studio shots masquerading as outside, rather than location pieces, seem to have dated quite badly in places.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2017, 04:49

The Accidental Tourist
One of Kasdan's best films, with a perfectly modulated performance by Hurt of a man genetically predisposed to go through life hating change in any form, who is forced to endure first the loss of his son and then the ending of his marriage. Whatever happened to William Hurt, anyway? Great in Altered States, Body Heat, The Big Chill, Kiss of the Spider Woman, Children of a Lesser God, Broadcast News and this - all in the eighties. Relegated to second-hand status since then. Oh, he was nominated again for History of Violence in 2005, I guess. Geena Davis won the oscar for this film as well.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 May 2017, 07:38

Both Geena Davis and William Hurt are amazing in this, aren't they? I fell in love with Geena, I remember. Great film.

The last thing I saw Hurt in was some non-fiction thing where he played Dick Cheney. He was very good.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 May 2017, 14:58

Yeah, he's still around and working - I looked him up and he's 67. It's just ironic how he was this big leading man in the '80s and almost overnight became a supporting player in the '90s. Is it just because he was losing his hair, or because his films weren't big box office? I'd suspect he has an opinion or two on the matter.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 21 May 2017, 23:56

At the cinema with the wee guy tonight. His choice, King Arthur. Hopeless on just about every possible level. I know it's not aimed at a guy in his mid 50's but by christ this is really rubbish. How does Guy Ritchie manage to still make films? Hopefully he's a busted flush after the money lost on this pile of plop.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 22 May 2017, 02:37

We watched Crimes and Misdemeanours last night, my first time of seeing it. What a great film.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 22 May 2017, 04:22

Minnie the Minx wrote:We watched Crimes and Misdemeanours last night, my first time of seeing it. What a great film.

One of his greatest.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 25 May 2017, 22:08

Minnie the Minx wrote:We watched Crimes and Misdemeanours last night, my first time of seeing it. What a great film.

Yes, it's terrific. One where the balance of weighty drama and humour works.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 26 May 2017, 14:20

The Wanderers

I don't know what I would think of this period piece if I was seeing it now for the first time, but I loved it as a kid and it holds up fairly well. New York City gangs in 1963 with a rock 'n roll soundtrack from a time when it was a lot less common than it soon would be.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 26 May 2017, 14:33

Ranking Ted wrote:

Yes, it's terrific. One where the balance of weighty drama and humour works.

Yes - it really does.

It's probably my favourite of his. Landau is spellbinding.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “Screenadelica”