24%
HIT!
76%

Total votes: 29

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 9

Postby naughty boy » 20 May 2017, 21:51

Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Re: John Coan's SHIT OR HIT 9

Postby toomanyhatz » 20 May 2017, 22:25

Absolute hit, though Dionne Warwick's version is better.

Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Modesty Forbids

Postby Modesty Forbids » 20 May 2017, 22:30

Everything else about the Carpenters was a bit naff, but Karen 's is one of the great pop voices, and when you give her a Bacharach-David song to display it on she transcends old golden-hair's cheesy arrangement tendencies.
once an adman, always a cunt

all / Life death does end, and each day dies with sleep

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 20 May 2017, 23:38

HIT
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 20 May 2017, 23:45

HIT
a gibbon running freely

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 21 May 2017, 01:49

HIT. I love Dionne's version, but unlike hatz I would say that this is one of the very few times she was bested on her own turf.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 21 May 2017, 04:35

Loved it then; have a sentimental attachment (of sorts) to it now.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 21 May 2017, 06:18

I think it's the best fucking thing on Earth.

I performed a concert tonight with five other people (and my youngest, James, doing the "cute kid shit" on 'Sing') as Carpentersville. We performed "the brown album"* note for note with all the little bells and whistles, and...the record (and our concert) opens and closes with "(They Long To Be) Close To You" (in overture form at the top, I suppose). For good reason.

This song was waiting for this band to come along - and even Bacharach (stingy with praise) has always been very generous in his estimation of Richard and Karen's mining and polishing of this jewel.

*https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Singles:_1969-1973

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 21 May 2017, 10:03

A snoozefest. Yes, it sounds nice and I'll probably appreciate it more once I hit 70+ and my tinnitus gives me more grief.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 21 May 2017, 12:51

Didn't Burt say all he wanted them to keep in their production were those trilly piano bits. I guess this would be one of my favourite songs. Not other versions but this production and performance. Love this utterly. Me and Marge Simpson.
king of the divan

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 21 May 2017, 13:28

Shit.

I don't get why Americans in particular think this sort of bollocks is any good. It is syrupy nonsense.
You don't like me...do you?

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 May 2017, 20:30

I really just can't stand The Carpenters. I'm not even willing to listen again to give it some kind of reappraisal.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

TG

Postby TG » 22 May 2017, 01:54

yomptepi wrote:Shit.

I don't get why Americans in particular think this sort of bollocks is any good. It is syrupy nonsense.

Not this American. I don't understand the fascination with adult pop. My mom liked this song and that's reason enough for me to dislike it. But it's not the primary reason. Mostly it's just bland.

You've likely seen those films from the 50s and 60s where the racist southern preacher warns the white folks about the dangers of rock and roll. He pounds his desk and rails on about The Beat, The Beat, The Beat. That's the one thing he was right about. R&R needs The Beat. The Carpenters wouldn't know a good beat if it was sitting next to them naked but for a big pointy hat that said The Beat. There are just too many great records out there to bother with this kind of pap.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 May 2017, 02:17

That seems to be assuming that this is trying to be rock and roll, and failing.

TG

Postby TG » 22 May 2017, 02:50

Charlie O. wrote:That seems to be assuming that this is trying to be rock and roll, and failing.

No, it's assuming that I won't waste my time listening to things that aren't somehow visceral, don't have a beat, aren't sexy and are made specifically for people who don't like those things. It's adult pop. It doesn't have a beat, it's vanilla, white bread, boring music that no one in their right mind would want to have sex to. I know they ain't rock and roll and that's just one of the problems I have with it.

It's the 70s equivalent of the Lawrence Welk show. Minus the edgy humor.
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 May 2017, 02:59

TG wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:That seems to be assuming that this is trying to be rock and roll, and failing.

No, it's assuming that I won't waste my time listening to things that aren't somehow visceral, don't have a beat, aren't sexy and are made specifically for people who don't like those things.

That's an even more questionable assumption. Most of the people voting "HIT" here, myself included, like all those things, and I think you know that. It's just that we don't like those things to the exclusion of other things.

You're more than welcome to dislike whatever you see fit, but gimme a break.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 22 May 2017, 03:22

That's a hit, no doubt. I almost never want to hear it again to be honest, but there's no denying it's a glorious song.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

TG

Postby TG » 22 May 2017, 03:23

Charlie O. wrote:
TG wrote:

No, it's assuming that I won't waste my time listening to things that aren't somehow visceral, don't have a beat, aren't sexy and are made specifically for people who don't like those things.

That's an even more questionable assumption. Most of the people voting "HIT" here, myself included, like all those things, and I think you know that. It's just that we don't like those things to the exclusion of other things.

You're more than welcome to dislike whatever you see fit, but gimme a break.

You may well like it but I don't think it was made for you. It was made as a middle of the road, adult pop record not unlike Perry Como's Hot Diggity or some such. Unless you're nearing 90 it wasn't made for you. Or maybe it was. It certainly wasn't made for me. I realize I'm in the minority around these parts but, as I've said many times, there are far too many great records out there to waste my time liking everything that comes down the road. It is bland in the extreme, made for folks much older than we were when it came out and is the very definition of middle of the road adult pop. It's boring.

I'm pretty sure I didn't give you the break you asked for. And I'm chock full of questionable assumptions.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 15 Jul 2017, 22:27

C'mon...is this a question?
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 16 Jul 2017, 08:18

Great.

Return to “Yakety Yak”