Good movies about medieval times

..and why not?
algroth

Re: Good movies about medieval times

Postby algroth » 19 May 2017, 20:09

For a 14-year-old I would probably suggest Braveheart and the director's cut of Kingdom of Heaven. Much as I would like to recommend films by the likes of Vlacil or Welles I really doubt it's what he'd enjoy. If it is, then adding to Toby's suggestion of Valley of the Bees I will add that it is a part of a medieval trilogy by its director, all three are great and I would probably suggest seeing The Devil's Trap first, it being the most accessible of the lot. Also while not medieval (set in the late 16th century), Mihai Viteazul is a stunning epic and well worth a look.

Being pretty curious about medieval warfare myself, I would also suggest the following YouTube channels on the matter to your son, if he'd like to learn more about the matter:

scholagladiatoria (the best one of the lot IMO): https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt14YO ... GCwcjhrOdA
Shadiversity: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmMAC ... N9D9ARli1Q

Also would suggest Lindybeige and ThegnThrand though with the caveat that both follow some dodgy politics/beliefs and it sometimes seeps into their vids. All the same pretty informative and entertaining.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 19 May 2017, 22:37

for a 14-year-old, i'd back up the braveheart and kingdom of heaven choices. as much as i love other suggestions (macbethy or hamletty things, for example), i'm not sure those would be my top picks in the age group.

if you want a suggestion that is likely to get crapped on around here... have you ever seen the 13th warrior? popcorny as it may run, he might dig it. based on michael crichton's eaters of the dead, it's a revamp of the beowulf story, told by an outsider (an exiled arab poet) who becomes an insider. directed by john mctiernan. it at the very least has more action than the zillion beowulf films... which all kinda piss me off, frankly.

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 19 May 2017, 22:46

I don't think it' midevall but I'd like to put another pee stream in the fountain for "the Duellists" It's sort of like the Paul Lazaro character in "Slaughterhouse 5" this guy takes a minor offense and dedicates his life to avenging it. I grew up with Tony Curtis in movies like this so I have no problem accepting Harvey Keitel in a period movie.

I saw it when it was new & I've been keeping my eye on Ridley Scott ever since. Ridley? Are you chewing gum? Did you bring enough for everyone?
uggy poopy doody.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 May 2017, 12:58

Thanks for all the suggestions. We watched Excalibur last night. I loved that movie as a teen, but I found myself making fun of the Merlin character's voice and it hasn't aged well for me. I think my son turned it to Dragonslayer when I went to sleep because I see that as recently watched.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 22 May 2017, 13:25

Another vote for Jabberwocky here. I recall reading that it's pretty highly regarded among historians for representing the period as it was. Not surprising I suppose given medievalist Terry Jones was involved.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 22 May 2017, 13:30

Name Of The Rose
Kingdom of Heaven
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Moleskin

Postby Moleskin » 22 May 2017, 13:33

Of course, two questions being answered here. Do you want something approaching historical accuracy or not?
@hewsim

Jug Band Music
my own music

Return to “Screenadelica”