STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY

Do talk back
Nancy
Daft Sod

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY

Postby Nancy » 20 May 2017, 02:08

Carlisle Wheeling wrote:Crank it up, Kath!

Report back, guys.

I can't see how they make a profit on these. I mean, they look, feel and sound great. It's obvious that a lot of work has gone into each one.

I'd like it but It makes it very hard to justify paying £100+ for the six disc Pepper :shock:

Listening to the DTS 96/24 5.1 mix now. GODLY. Bass for days, Ian's voice is mixed prominently, more detail in the drums, everything just sounds BIGGERBETTERMORE. I expected nothing less.
Pontificating incorrigibly since birth.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 20 May 2017, 02:24

oh gawddd velvet green. fucquin incredible.

that is all.

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 20 May 2017, 16:29

Nancy wrote:
Listening to the DTS 96/24 5.1 mix now. GODLY. Bass for days, Ian's voice is mixed prominently, more detail in the drums, everything just sounds BIGGERBETTERMORE. I expected nothing less.

Yeah, the bass is remarkable; not muddy at all but tight and sharp.

And yes, I expected it too.

Another great booklet that fills in any gaps,as well. Talk about value.

C
Robust

Postby C » 20 May 2017, 17:16

I've played CD and wow - robust stuff!

The Steven Wilson mix of the original album is superb - possible Wilson's best Tull job yet.

The separation, depth and clarity are mind-blowing. The keyboards throughout which has always driven this album throughout are just incredible and given more space, direction and prominence.

David Palmer's portative organ made this album - the cherry on the top!

The extra tracks on CD1 are great additions.

This version of Working Joe which appeared later on A is probably better here than on A - it's a bit plodding on the latter.

Great to hear a new, surprising, version of Solstice Bells with no trademark portative organ.

I also love the early version of One Brown Mouse which eventually surfaced on Heavy Horses.

As I type I am playing the live concert part one (CD2) - mixed to stereo by Jakko Jakszyk. The sound is very good and of course the brilliant set-list speaks for itself.

Tull, the greatest band that ever walked the planet.

Thank you Ian and boys. As always

x
Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 22 May 2017, 14:20

How is the live DVD ?

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 22 May 2017, 15:32

It's excellent. The first four tunes feature sound from a different show mixed with the visuals from the Maryland show, but you would be hard pressed to tell.

The whole show is superb, Tull at the later peak of their live prowess, and sadly fifteen years prior to when I first saw them, a mere shadow of this awesomeness.

This was just one more night on a long tour, preserved by good fortune (the visuals were used to supplement the performance at the time) but it gives a full sense of what the Mighty Tull were capable of doing night after night in the 70s.

Bliss. Watched it twice since I got it Friday.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 22 May 2017, 19:02

Well I got but it just confirmed to me that I don't care much for the album. And for some reason the keyboard sound is really bothering me espacially on the live set. I'll to give Burstin Out Live another listen because I always felt that it was phenomenal and it blows this one out of the water.
I run out of talent

C
Robust

Postby C » 22 May 2017, 19:28

I haven't read the notes in the book but Bursting Out is a much better album sound and balance wise - perfection!

I know exactly what you mean re: keyboards - as you know, there are two musicians on keys David Palmer (on the left channel) and John Evan (on the right)

On the live CDs you can here very little John Evan - he tends to play the piano (which in places is just not there).

Whilst David Palmer on portative organ is clearly there and quite up front.

Also, Martin Barre's guitar is not always as prominent as I would like.

I am just guessing but was the broadcast originally in mono and Jakko separated the channels...? That would explain a lot. CD3 (Part 2 of the concert) drifts a bit sound-wise too.

I put sound quality very highly and I wouldn't listen to anything below 'excellent'. This concert is just excellent sound wise. The separation is very good

That said, I love the concert - both CDs and it is a delightfully robust piece of history from the greatest band that ever walked the planet

Lord Rother wrote:And there was me thinking you'd say "Fair enough, you have a point Bob".

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 22 May 2017, 20:24

Carlsson wrote:I haven't read the notes in the book but Bursting Out is a much better album sound and balance wise - perfection!

Music/performance aside, I always thought Bursting Out was one of the crappiest-sounding live albums ever!

The roughly-contemporaneous Madison Square Garden disc is much better.

Yes, the roughly-contemporaneous Madison Square Garden disc is much better

LMG
Gentleman Thug

Postby LMG » 22 May 2017, 22:49

Carlsson wrote:I haven't read the notes in the book but Bursting Out is a much better album sound and balance wise - perfection!

I am just guessing but was the broadcast originally in mono and Jakko separated the channels...? That would explain a lot. CD3 (Part 2 of the concert) drifts a bit sound-wise too.

I put sound quality very highly and I wouldn't listen to anything below 'excellent'. This concert is just excellent sound wise. The separation is very good

That said, I love the concert - both CDs and it is a delightfully robust piece of history from the greatest band that ever walked the planet

The Maryland (Country Set) show was never broadcast. The booklet explains that part of the show was recorded as a test run for the forthcoming live recordings made the following year for the live release Bursting Out. The Country Set live show was recorded on a portable eight track recorder, as were several shows on the third and last tour of North America in 1977.

This package has benefited from the test run audio tapes and the mono sound video tapes, which have been combined to make the audio and video/DVD material presented here. But none of the sources were intended for broadcast or release, which is I feel what makes the release so special.
"Nothing would count as a fulfilment in a world in which literally nothing is important but self-fulfilment."

- Charles Taylor

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 23 May 2017, 01:25

As noted somewhere above (I think), my first concert was Tull the following year, about a week after Bursting Out was released, at that same Maryland venue (the Capital Centre). As it was a large arena and our seats were a fair distance from the stage, I spent a good chunk of the time watching the large video screen. I remember fantasizing at the time that I might someday be able to get a video copy of my first concert... and who knows, it could happen yet (although the release of the MSG concert from the week before mine suggests that it probably won't).

Some of the video portion of the CSNY 1974 set also came from that venue.

C
Robust

Postby C » 23 May 2017, 19:51

Thanks Chas

Thanks Chris

C
Robust

Re: STRICTLY, Yes, STRICTLY TULLHEADS ONLY [nobody else]

Postby C » 26 May 2017, 17:44

never/ever wrote:Nice. I think Benefit would be in my top 5-albums.

Not 'arf!

The only track on the Steve Wilson version that doesn't work so well is Inside - the muddiness of the original makes it and the Wilson version opens it up and the separation is just too much.

Just a little quibble

I played the SW version yesterday - robust stuff!1

Yes, robust stuff!!

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 26 May 2017, 18:50

Carlsson wrote:The only track on the Steve Wilson version that doesn't work so well is Inside - the muddiness of the original makes it and the Wilson version opens it up and the separation is just too much.

I feel that way about much of that album and Aqualung.

And I kinda hate that he cut off the last guitar note on "Son". Never heard that as a mistake, myself.

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 May 2017, 20:15

Charlie O. wrote:I feel that way about much of that album and Aqualung.

I thought that when I first heard the SW Benefit but I played it last night and it didn't sound so bad. Perhaps I am mellowing with age.

I must go back to Aqualung and give that a re-listen

Some of the Tull albums work better than others.

Brick and Passion Play sound pretty good

Mike Boom

Postby Mike Boom » 05 Jun 2017, 15:56

Just got this on Sunday, only had a chance to watch the live DVD so far, and brilliant it is, as expected, despite a few sound issues as noted above, David Palmer is a bit high in the mix, tho it seems to work for the more acoustic songs it gets in the way during the more electric numbers, and the bass drops out completely sometimes, especially in Minstrel in the Gallery, which is a pity because the playing is so brilliant, what a great bass player Glascock was Barlow is just stunning. Such a brilliant live band. Used to have the much loved bootleg "Sackful of Trousersnakes" which seems to be essentially the same show but recored at the Anaheim show I believe. Wonderful wonderful version of Whole Lotta Brick. Not to mention Martin who is of course brilliant throughout , surely the most underrated guitarist of all time. Also enjoyed Arnold Stirrup the support act too, wonder what ever became of him ? The book is great and an interesting read too.

Looking forward to listening to the rest.

C
Robust

Postby C » 08 Jun 2017, 07:00

Correct observations Mike

I can't stop playing the live CDs

oooooooooooooof!

Return to “Yakety Yak”