Alien Covenant

..and why not?
Dr Markus

Alien Covenant

Postby Dr Markus » 11 May 2017, 12:33

Could seen a thread, but I think my search function is acting up.

Going to see it tomorrow night and from the one or two reviews I've read it seems to be more of the same from Prometheus. Anyone excited to be seeing it? or just following through because you've seen all the rest.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Alien Covenant

Postby Goat Boy » 11 May 2017, 13:20

I disliked Prometheus.

I'm a sucker for the Alien though so I will see this.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 11 May 2017, 13:22

Goat Boy wrote:I disliked Prometheus

Yeah I thought it was serviceable as a part of the franchise, but nothing spectacular as it was hyped up to be.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 11 May 2017, 13:28

I disliked the fact that it demystified the whole thing. Oh, here's the origin of the Alien. Why bother? I preferred it when the Alien just was.

Having said that I will see this just cos I'm a knob
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 11 May 2017, 13:31

I've bought in to the franchise too much not to see it. I agree they should have just kept it simple here's a planet with these cunts, some escaped and..................here we are.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 11 May 2017, 20:21

Prometheus was a mess with some good bits and some rubbish bits. I actually thought they really botched the demystification thing. It could have been an epic, grandiose mystery of the universe but instead it was some idiots running round in a cave.

The new one seems from reviews to be more or less a remake of the first Alien film. I'll probably catch it if I have a chance but it's not a massive priority.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 12 May 2017, 14:51

A hardcore Aliens fan I work with, he sat through all of them in row the day before the Covenant was released, reviewed it as "meh".

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 12 May 2017, 20:57

I think the whole series was guff from the moment Aliens was released.

The first one was an exceptional horror film. The rest - SHITE

driftin

Postby driftin » 14 May 2017, 17:38

It's rubbish but it looks nice and has a couple of cool set pieces.

Dreadful dialogue full of exposition, an unnecessary amount of backstory to the xenomorphs that completely undermines the mysterious horror and strangeness of the first film, a stupid and clunky plot, and of course an ending that leaves room for a sequel not for story purposes but just in case it makes a profit.

Save your money, watch the director's cut of Alien instead.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 May 2017, 17:50

Toby wrote:I think the whole series was guff from the moment Aliens was released.

The first one was an exceptional horror film. The rest - SHITE

Nonsense. Aliens is great. Alien 3 is flawed but also underrated. Its nihilism is a bit much though.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 May 2017, 18:23

Yeah, you're talking shit

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 May 2017, 18:26

Seriously, Aliens is a piece of bravura film making, breathless in its execution, a proper roller coaster of a movie but one with real characters you actually give a shit about. The score is fucking epic too. I think it's a masterpiece

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 May 2017, 18:41

Some of the characters are 1D but the ones you give a shit about are not (Hicks, Ripley, Bishop, Newt, Vasquez). The relationship with Newt is genuinely touching, more so in the expanded special edition where the revelation that Ripley had a kid is revealed. There is something immensely satisfying in watching Ripley become the person she is meant to be. The first two movies are really building towards this and the payoff is magnificent. It is an unrelenting movie experience. The final battle between Ripley and the alien queen is immense.
Last edited by Goat Boy on 14 May 2017, 19:06, edited 1 time in total.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 May 2017, 19:00

Bollocks!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 May 2017, 19:06

Up yer bum!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 14 May 2017, 19:25

OOOh its head's come off

CALL THE CAPTAIN
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 May 2017, 19:37

Have you seen the new Ken Loach film? I've heard it's reet good!

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 May 2017, 19:40

:lol:

At the center of the station, the marines find the colonists cocooned, serving as incubators for the Aliens' offspring. When the marines kill a newborn Alien, the Aliens are roused and ambush the marines, killing and capturing several. When the inexperienced Gorman panics, Ripley takes control of their vehicle and rams it through the nest to rescue marines Hicks, Hudson, and Vasquez. Hicks orders the dropship to recover the survivors, but a stowaway Alien kills the pilots, causing it to crash into the station. Ripley, Newt, Burke, Gorman, and the remaining marines barricade themselves inside the colony command center.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 14 May 2017, 19:41

fOR FUCK'S SAKE

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 May 2017, 20:03

The film takes place across six days, marked by intertitles.
Five years after retirees Kate and Geoff Mercer had to cancel their 40th wedding anniversary because of his heart bypass surgery, the comfortably-off, childless, Norfolk couple are now planning to celebrate their 45th anniversary with dozens of friends at the Assembly House in Norwich.

I'm positively shaking

Return to “Screenadelica”