What we do when we talk about Katy Lied and Gaucho (and The Dan generally)

Do talk back
Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Re: What we do when we talk about Katy Lied and Gaucho (and The Dan generally)

Postby Loki » 17 Jan 2017, 09:04

Busiest back-up singer in da bidness

My Dad had a Galaxie 500 like that...

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Postby ... » 17 Jan 2017, 09:59

zoomboogity wrote:In which Rick Moranis, wearing his Michael McDonald beard, arrives just in time to sing the final verse, then hits the road and is on the freeway by the time the guitar solo ends:

I had tickets to see them at Birmingham Town Hall at the end of that tour and they cancelled never to reschedule
Last edited by ... on 18 Jan 2017, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 17 Jan 2017, 19:22

Loki wrote:Busiest back-up singer in da bidness

Lots of Dan songs work for that: Time Out Of Mind, I Got The News, live versions of Peg with extended endings. My favorite is the live 1974 version of Pretzel Logic, where Royce Jones sings the second verse and MM takes the third (as they do in the clip I just posted). I can't help but envision MM racing to the gig, running down the corridor, and hitting the stage just in time for, "Well, I stepped upon the platform..." By the time the final guitar solo is done, he's already at a Doobie Brothers session.

A friend of mine runs a (don't laugh) Steely Dan tribute band, and we joke about getting someone to put on the beard and do it at one of their gigs. Not gonna happen, but the whole "such a long way to goooooo" thing has become such a part of comedy folklore. Still makes me laugh after all these years, that's some rare comedy.

Steely Dan tribute band, you wonder? Well, see for yourself. Jake the bass player is the son of the only person besides Becker and Fagen to play on the first seven SD albums, the late great Victor Feldman. These guys all have other music jobs to earn a living, they just do this for fun. And unlike the real Steely Dan, they have the luxury of digging into the deep cuts (Only A Fool Would Say That, Barrytown, Your Gold Teeth II). They're up to 80 songs by now, I think, maybe more. B&F have heard them, and they approve. To the left of the stage is the ocean, a perfect setting.

"Quite."

Postby ... » 18 Jan 2017, 08:02

zoomboogity wrote:
Loki wrote:Busiest back-up singer in da bidness

Lots of Dan songs work for that: Time Out Of Mind, I Got The News, live versions of Peg with extended endings. My favorite is the live 1974 version of Pretzel Logic, where Royce Jones sings the second verse and MM takes the third (as they do in the clip I just posted). I can't help but envision MM racing to the gig, running down the corridor, and hitting the stage just in time for, "Well, I stepped upon the platform..." By the time the final guitar solo is done, he's already at a Doobie Brothers session.

A friend of mine runs a (don't laugh) Steely Dan tribute band, and we joke about getting someone to put on the beard and do it at one of their gigs. Not gonna happen, but the whole "such a long way to goooooo" thing has become such a part of comedy folklore. Still makes me laugh after all these years, that's some rare comedy.

Steely Dan tribute band, you wonder? Well, see for yourself. Jake the bass player is the son of the only person besides Becker and Fagen to play on the first seven SD albums, the late great Victor Feldman. These guys all have other music jobs to earn a living, they just do this for fun. And unlike the real Steely Dan, they have the luxury of digging into the deep cuts (Only A Fool Would Say That, Barrytown, Your Gold Teeth II). They're up to 80 songs by now, I think, maybe more. B&F have heard them, and they approve. To the left of the stage is the ocean, a perfect setting.

At this point in my life, I suspect I'd rather go and see a good Dan tribute band rather than the Dan themselves

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Jan 2017, 13:16

Pretty much my favourite band these days
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Jan 2017, 14:35

fueryIre wrote:At this point in my life, I suspect I'd rather go and see a good Dan tribute band rather than the Dan themselves

I saw them (the actual Dan) last year and they were excellent, so don't give up hope! :)
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

zoomboogity
Shakin' All Over

Postby zoomboogity » 18 Jan 2017, 16:08

Snarfyguy wrote:
fueryIre wrote:At this point in my life, I suspect I'd rather go and see a good Dan tribute band rather than the Dan themselves

I saw them (the actual Dan) last year and they were excellent, so don't give up hope! :)

I saw them a couple times - no, three - and they were great, but they don't vary their sets much, mostly sticking to the tried and true. Which I understand, people want to hear the hits. Big touring juggernauts need to get their routine down, and playing Razor Boy for the 30 people who want to hear it isn't feasible. One time I went with Bobzilla, and they played The Bear, which was really cool. For years they were like Prince when people posted those Gaucho outtakes, then they figured, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. But yeah, if you've seen them once, you basically got the show.

It would be funny if they played off that Michael McDonald joke - play something like Peg while a big screen shows a video of him driving to the gig, then he runs out just in time for the chorus.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 18 Jan 2017, 20:45

zoomboogity wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

I saw them a couple times - no, three - and they were great, but they don't vary their sets much, mostly sticking to the tried and true. Which I understand, people want to hear the hits. Big touring juggernauts need to get their routine down, and playing Razor Boy for the 30 people who want to hear it isn't feasible. One time I went with Bobzilla, and they played The Bear, which was really cool. For years they were like Prince when people posted those Gaucho outtakes, then they figured, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em. But yeah, if you've seen them once, you basically got the show.

I suppose that's why they took up the practice of featuring whole albums in their sets. I thought they struck a good balance between slavish reproduction and unrecognizable reinterpretation (for Aja). Walter did a long, rambling monologue during Hey Nineteen -- during which I think Donald left the stage -- maybe he does it every show, I don't know, but being in NYC it had some good local color.

My first time seeing them and I was very entertained.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 10 Mar 2017, 09:24

It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Postby ... » 14 May 2017, 08:14

Snarfyguy wrote:

Spookily prescient or what?

The Dan are doing Dublin's 3 Arena in late OCtober with the Doobie Bros as support and having seen their most recent setlists (almost nothing after Gaucho - hooray!), I'm off to see them.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 14 May 2017, 12:03

I'm a big Gaucho fan. Can listen to it pretty much non stop - there's a fluidity in the production and feel of the songs that make me think it's their best work at times. I'm not so versed with Katy Lied.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 14 May 2017, 17:53

I wasn't totally convinced by either album. I have more issues with Katy Lied. It's going for a strong sense of melody but I found the entire experience was forgettable, fairly generic and lacked the strong melodies found on Pretzel Logic. Even though I respect the stylistic and structural changes on Gaucho, the production is almost too slick at times - a product of the era really - which makes it feel dated and fails to capture the structural brilliance of Aja. To me, Aja and Pretzel Logic are the finest moments for Steely Dan.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 May 2017, 14:18

fueryIre wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:

Spookily prescient or what?

The Dan are doing Dublin's 3 Arena in late OCtober with the Doobie Bros as support and having seen their most recent setlists (almost nothing after Gaucho - hooray!), I'm off to see them.

Enjoy! :)

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 15 May 2017, 16:41

joels344 wrote:I wasn't totally convinced by either album. I have more issues with Katy Lied. It's going for a strong sense of melody but I found the entire experience was forgettable, fairly generic and lacked the strong melodies found on Pretzel Logic. Even though I respect the stylistic and structural changes on Gaucho, the production is almost too slick at times - a product of the era really - which makes it feel dated and fails to capture the structural brilliance of Aja. To me, Aja and Pretzel Logic are the finest moments for Steely Dan.

What is Countdown To Ecstacy, chopped liver?
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

joels344

Postby joels344 » 15 May 2017, 19:13

fange wrote:
joels344 wrote:I wasn't totally convinced by either album. I have more issues with Katy Lied. It's going for a strong sense of melody but I found the entire experience was forgettable, fairly generic and lacked the strong melodies found on Pretzel Logic. Even though I respect the stylistic and structural changes on Gaucho, the production is almost too slick at times - a product of the era really - which makes it feel dated and fails to capture the structural brilliance of Aja. To me, Aja and Pretzel Logic are the finest moments for Steely Dan.

You know, I've actually never listened to that album. That's about to change, though!
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 May 2017, 21:36

joels344 wrote:
fange wrote:What is Countdown To Ecstacy, chopped liver?

You know, I've actually never listened to that album. That's about to change, though!

That's always been my favorite. (It might be Becker & Fagen's least favorite!)

Coincidentally, this just turned up for me on the YouTube homepage:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 16 May 2017, 00:55

joels344 wrote:
fange wrote:

:o

Get this fixed right away, joels! I'm with Charlie, it's my favourite SD album.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Sneelock

Postby Sneelock » 16 May 2017, 19:03

Me too. I've always liked "..thrill" but Countdown is the one that made me a fan. Those are some Tuney bastards & the "rock band" approach really works.

By "pretzel" they aren't really a rock band any more. I love all those records but I've loved Countdown longer. It's a swell album.
uggy poopy doody.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 24 Jul 2017, 22:02

'Kid Charlemagne': A Close Reading Of Steely Dan's Ode To Haight Street's LSD King

http://sfist.com/2015/07/20/san_francis ... steely.php
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 26 Jul 2017, 21:40

How does BCB react to the news that the Dan recently performed a stadium concert WITHOUT WALTER BECKER?!?!

Is that a sellout move or what?

And does BCB's opinion change with the news that Larry Carlton was brought out as a special guest to make up for his absence?
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”