Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Do talk back
Hightea

Re: Return of the Son of Now Gigging

Postby Hightea » 25 Feb 2017, 05:09

Last Friday night went to the Garden for Red Hot Chili Peppers.Haven't seen them since Woodstock 94. Hot really a fan of them but promised a friend tickets and am always a fan of Flea. The RHCP haven't changed in the fact they are high energy. Flea is all over the floor and puts on a great show along with Josh Klinghoffer (guitarist last 10 years). Anthony Kiedis still can sing but was limited with a hurt foot. They started off with some older songs before playing a number of new songs that were still good. Happy they did their cover of Higher Ground.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 16 Apr 2017, 03:15

Musical Box @3/5 @ Ridgefield playhouse, CT
The Black Show

I've seen the Musical Box a few times as the perform old 70's Genesis live shows. This being the black show they did plenty of my favorite Genesis songs. I always have a had time with the singer so tend to focus on the musicians. This time we had seats in front of the guitarist (aka Hackett) It was amazing me the little snippets he does thru out the show. Cinema Show, The Musical Box and Supper's Ready nailed it! No Pictures but here they are in 2003 Irving Plaza

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 17 Apr 2017, 04:42

Richard Ashcroft 03/27/17 @ T5

I've seen Richard's solo act a few times over the past 17 years so oddly wasn't expecting to be surprised. However, new band and a different setup led to extended songs with cool jams. They did alot of the new album but still plenty of Verve classics. Great version of Space and time.

LCD Soundsystem @ the new Brooklyn Steel Venue.
Finally got a chance to see LCD Soundsystem reunion (yeah like tthis was never going to happen). Been a big fan since seeing them at a party at NYC. I was there for their final show at MSG few years ago. I got there a bit early so decided to go for the front section which I knew would be a dance crowd. After waiting forever, the 8 piece band came on playing various instruments and electronics often switching them up. Was right about the dance crowd they didn't stop for the full 2 hour show.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 17 Apr 2017, 15:10

ZOMBIES - Chicago, Thalia Hall (April 13, 2017)

What can I say? I should have gone both nights. My range of opportunities to see one of the greatest albums in creation lovingly executed live by the living 4 of the original 5 (expertly assisted by a crew of magnificent voices and instruments) is dwindling, and as I look at people in other cities having their moments with this concert/these people, it seems like the type of experience I should be hoarding.

There's people here who may have not seen this particular tour yet, so I'm loathe to go into any great detail, but...utterly sublime and moving.

We brought our youngest (James, 7) cause he loves the Zombies (and live music) with the strength of someone 4x his age. He got to meet Chris White and Hugh Grundy afterwards (both lovely men - Grundy gave the boy loads of advice about drumming), and we got to visit and hang out with a dear friend of mine who plays in this particular production.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 18 Apr 2017, 20:11

Bent Fabric wrote:ZOMBIES - Chicago, Thalia Hall (April 13, 2017)

What can I say? I should have gone both nights. My range of opportunities to see one of the greatest albums in creation lovingly executed live by the living 4 of the original 5 (expertly assisted by a crew of magnificent voices and instruments) is dwindling, and as I look at people in other cities having their moments with this concert/these people, it seems like the type of experience I should be hoarding.

There's people here who may have not seen this particular tour yet, so I'm loathe to go into any great detail, but...utterly sublime and moving.

We brought our youngest (James, 7) cause he loves the Zombies (and live music) with the strength of someone 4x his age. He got to meet Chris White and Hugh Grundy afterwards (both lovely men - Grundy gave the boy loads of advice about drumming), and we got to visit and hang out with a dear friend of mine who plays in this particular production.

Very nice :)
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 18 Apr 2017, 20:21

Hightea wrote:Friday nite I got a last minute ticket for sold out Pat Methany show close to my home at the Ridgefield Theatre in CT. Nice old theatre. Saw Methany twice in 87 and again in 97 so its been a long time. Methany came out alone with his Pikasso 42-string guitar acoustic guitar. Of course he had to show us he could play all 42 strings. :lol:

Then his band came out two younger musicians and Antonio Sánchez on Drums. He played a bunch of older tunes and some interesting experimental stuff. Always a fan of his synth guitar. First encore he did a melody including "This is not America" which had a few people (including me) humming it on the way out. No Pictures per PM!

Linda Manzer made the 42 string guitar. She also made this for my brother to use. And one day he might be able to afford to buy it.

So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 18 Apr 2017, 21:36

Jeemo wrote:
Hightea wrote:Friday nite I got a last minute ticket for sold out Pat Methany show close to my home at the Ridgefield Theatre in CT. Nice old theatre. Saw Methany twice in 87 and again in 97 so its been a long time. Methany came out alone with his Pikasso 42-string guitar acoustic guitar. Of course he had to show us he could play all 42 strings. :lol:

Then his band came out two younger musicians and Antonio Sánchez on Drums. He played a bunch of older tunes and some interesting experimental stuff. Always a fan of his synth guitar. First encore he did a melody including "This is not America" which had a few people (including me) humming it on the way out. No Pictures per PM!

Linda Manzer made the 42 string guitar. She also made this for my brother to use. And one day he might be able to afford to buy it.

haha yeah I would image it cost a pretty penny. its a really cool looking guitar and I was lost trying to follow Methany playing it.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 19 Apr 2017, 12:40

Hightea wrote:LCD Soundsystem @ the new Brooklyn Steel Venue.
Finally got a chance to see LCD Soundsystem reunion (yeah like tthis was never going to happen). Been a big fan since seeing them at a party at NYC. I was there for their final show at MSG few years ago. I got there a bit early so decided to go for the front section which I knew would be a dance crowd. After waiting forever, the 8 piece band came on playing various instruments and electronics often switching them up. Was right about the dance crowd they didn't stop for the full 2 hour show.

Cool, lucky you. New stuff any good or different sounding?

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Apr 2017, 12:42

Love reading things like that, JSJ.

Your lad looks super chuffed
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Apr 2017, 02:06

Tactful Cactus wrote:
Hightea wrote:LCD Soundsystem @ the new Brooklyn Steel Venue.

Cool, lucky you. New stuff any good or different sounding?

No luck just there :lol: I liked the last new song thought the other too was a rehash. Although have to wait until the final product.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Apr 2017, 02:52

Last nite show was another night at the new Brooklyn venue, Brooklyn Steel. One thing I noticed this time the sound system is grade A although the band had some problems with tuning and it was a bit hot. The Decemberists are a band I've been a fan since 2002 after reading they play sea shanty songs and going to see them live they hooked me. They have put out numerous albums since and I love almost all of it. The show started off strong as its the 10th anniversary of Crane Wife they opened with The Crane Wife 3 and Island two epic favorites. Lots of proggy organ elements with sea folklore and great hooks. They also did The Gymnast, High Above Ground from their fist album I'd not seen them play since 04. Olivia Chaney, singer and keyboard harpsichord, joined the band (Colin announced they were working on side project) for a new song "The Queen of Hearts" which I liked. I thought after that they lost the magic before ending the set with "This Is Why We Fight". They then did the 18 minute long EP The Tain.

Olivia Chaney with Decemberists

The opening act was Julien Baker. Interesting new singer/songwriter of the sad type. She had some stage presence and her lyrics were interesting. With a nice voice we will see. Been listening to her 2015 album today she has a new one too.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Apr 2017, 18:03

Bent Fabric wrote:ZOMBIES - Chicago, Thalia Hall (April 13, 2017)

That's a great story!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 22 Apr 2017, 18:48

The Unthanks tonight. LooKing forward to it.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 30 Apr 2017, 03:48

The emotion, the performance, the beauty: Polly Jean

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 09 May 2017, 16:45

I sent my wife to that PJ Harvey show (Xmas gift). Detroit, right?

Meanwhile - JAMES STRIKES AGAIN!

This time in a meeting of the minds with Moody Blues/Wings alumnus Denny Laine:

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 10 May 2017, 07:45

Big Daddy Kane at The Fleece in Bristol Monday night. Up close and personal with a giant of the game. The flow hit me in the face with pure lyrical genius, impeccable DJ'ing and a joyous celebration of the Golden Era of hip hop. The crowd were undeniably on point and the 12 year old brought on stage from the audience rhymed along like a master in waiting. A truly exceptional experience.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 May 2017, 23:23

Jumper K wrote:Big Daddy Kane at The Fleece in Bristol Monday night. Up close and personal with a giant of the game. The flow hit me in the face with pure lyrical genius, impeccable DJ'ing and a joyous celebration of the Golden Era of hip hop. The crowd were undeniably on point and the 12 year old brought on stage from the audience rhymed along like a master in waiting. A truly exceptional experience.

I thought you were seeing this earlier than now. I bet he was good.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 11 May 2017, 07:31

It was blooming fantastic John. I'm always a bit wary with favourite old school artists as I've had a couple of shit nights, Redman and Method spring to mind. Recently the experience has been good, KRS, Kane, Cypress, Dalek all stellar. Off to the London Possee in a week, really looking forward to it.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 May 2017, 05:40

Bent Fabric wrote:I sent my wife to that PJ Harvey show (Xmas gift). Detroit, right?

Nope Brooklyn
NIce shots

Last few shows
Jayhawks-My Brothers wife was just out of some surgery so couldn't go. Haven't seen the Jayhawks in years but they still put on a nice show. I nice mix of songs thru the years.

Explosions in the Sky/Thor & Friends
Really enjoyed the opening band Thor & Friends
interesting combo of marimba players, violin, guitar, drums and and electronics
Image[/url]DSCN7040 by steve, on Flickr[/url]

Explosions never disappoint with a cool lightshow and mix of songs from their new album and old staples.

Roger McGuinn - its been almost 40 years since we last saw McGuinn and his vocals and guitar playing was still wonderful. HIs setlist is a wonderful story of his career, MCGuinn told us stories and about several of the songs. Although through his eyes as he thanked and talked about most of his bandmates over the years except no mention of Gram Parsons? He told a story about Fonda wanting Dylan to write the film's theme song but Dylan declined, quickly scribbling the lines - "The river flows, it flows to the sea/Wherever that river goes, that's where I want to be/Flow, river, flow" - on to a napkin, giving it it to Fonda and telling him to give it to McGuinn. He'll know what to do with it. Also about Dylan demanding his name be removed as co-writer.

He took us thru his three guitars. HIs classic Rickenbacker which was his classic sound. Then his designed 7 string which he told Martin guitars to create for him. He wanted his 12 string guitar jingle jangle sound with the ease of a 6 string guitar and felt putting an extra string in the middle would work.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 13 May 2017, 15:33

Shawn Smith in a really small club in Bristol. Engaging, life affirming and triumphant. 2 Prince covers and a set from all parts of his canon. The voice is to die for and he is the sweetest man.

Return to “Yakety Yak”