Why won't BCB talk about this?

Do talk back
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Why won't BCB talk about this?

Postby Goat Boy » 21 Apr 2017, 14:24

yomptepi wrote:
DADDY-O wrote:Clearly there's more to say about people who wear fox heads and sing about selling England.

I was just going to start a thread on Foxtrot and Selling England by the pound!!!

Please do!
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 21 Apr 2017, 14:49

Why don't we all have a SYNC-WANK while we're at it?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 21 Apr 2017, 17:03

soundchaser wrote:They've taken their cues from Velvet Underground, and not in a good way.

Yeah, that's why I've never been fully sold on this band.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Apr 2017, 17:49

To me, they embodied the Velvet Underground aesthetic in a better way than most. Instead of just using them as an excuse to whisper over I-IV progressions, make painful noise, or just generally think that whatever they do is "good enough" because the Velvets were simple too, they actually got into the extended groove thing (shades of Can as well) and committed to them. It's still simple -- usually one chord instead of two, taking away that second chord makes all the difference! -- but it seems the opposite of the "good enough" brigade.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 21 Apr 2017, 18:51

That ooh, just before the chorus, is lifted from Mother, by Pink Floyd.

Just sayin'.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Apr 2017, 19:12

Didn't we discuss at length in the Loud Cup?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Apr 2017, 22:11

Here's the whole thing, lest we forget:

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 21 Apr 2017, 22:27

I'm still at the 15-minute mark. This is brave music. It certainly starts in the VU vein, but it's also 'Mother Sky' and five other things, and as a result, truly its own thing. I'm no great Stereolab fan boy, by the way.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 21 Apr 2017, 22:33

Quaco wrote:To me, they embodied the Velvet Underground aesthetic in a better way than most. Instead of just using them as an excuse to whisper over I-IV progressions, make painful noise, or just generally think that whatever they do is "good enough" because the Velvets were simple too, they actually got into the extended groove thing (shades of Can as well) and committed to them. It's still simple -- usually one chord instead of two, taking away that second chord makes all the difference! -- but it seems the opposite of the "good enough" brigade.

Great summary. I had the 10" maxi single with French Disco as last track. It's ace, always has been. The influences now (not then, I'd never heard Can) seem fairly clear but there's alchemy involved there.

Bent Fabric

Postby Bent Fabric » 21 Apr 2017, 23:20

I'm enjoying the shit out of this right now - at the "fade back in" section (7-8 min mark, roughly) and hoping for an uninterrupted remainder.

There's a hell of a lot going on on this record (TRNBWA)- their absolute summit, in my view. Somehow it manages to be some of the least processed sounding music of its era - and yet it is literally bursting with fantastic ideas and spontaneous moments and glorious sounds. I can't speak to any other person's impressions of them, but...I guess I hear them "digging the fuck in" quite a bit (possibly not their most salient feature). Even within all of the sort of "unrelenting repetition" of the three songs on Side A, there is a hell of a lot of dynamic tension and release.

Nearly 25 years later, I'm still smitten.

Return to “Yakety Yak”