Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Apr 2017, 15:07

They've certainly improved I guess. I mean I see people taking the likes of Logan reasonably seriously.

I don't think they can really escape the limits of the source material personally. I'm not anti them but they seriously need to stop making so many
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 19 Apr 2017, 15:28

Goat Boy wrote:I enjoyed the first two Batman films. The first Avengers movie was elevated by Whedons writing.

Iron Man is alright I guess. There's been a lot of shit too. I'm not snobby about films in general but it puzzles me that adults are really into this shit. As popcorn entertainment go, it's fine but, you know?

I like them as I read the comics when I was a kid. Also the wee guy loves going to movies. In the last few weeks I've seen the Power Rangers movie, Fast & Furious 8 and Rogue One. They all mostly hit their targets and aren't trying to be anything they aren't.

Unlike some more "credible" film makers who get away with the most ridiculous bollocks but they are perceived as being a bit clever, so that's allowed.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Apr 2017, 15:32

Oh I'd take some of this stuff over lots of Hollywood crap.

I just find it a bit odd when adults are really into this stuff. I mean, it's fluff, isn't it?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 19 Apr 2017, 15:42

Goat Boy wrote:Oh I'd take some of this stuff over lots of Hollywood crap.

I just find it a bit odd when adults are really into this stuff. I mean, it's fluff, isn't it?

Yes it is. But sometimes escapism is just what's needed.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Apr 2017, 15:49

I laugh at farts.

I'm in no position to judge really

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Apr 2017, 01:44

Mississippi Burning

I remember when it was released there was controversy, mostly in the African American community, because there are no central black characters in the film - and the two FBI agents are seen as the heroes. No matter, it's a gripping tale nonetheless. Primarily based on fact, with excellent performances all around. One of Hackman's best, in fact.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 21 Apr 2017, 16:21

Geezee wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
This was better than your average comic book film

...aren't they all...?

Certainly not 'Suicide Squad.'
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Apr 2017, 16:28

pcqgod wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:
This was better than your average comic book film

...aren't they all...?

Certainly not 'Suicide Squad.'

The suicide squad was just ok. They missed a big trick I thought with the way they used the average played joker.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 21 Apr 2017, 16:50

The Great Defector wrote:
The suicide squad was just ok. They missed a big trick I thought with the way they used the average played joker.

I hated Jared Leto's Joker. But that was just part of the problem.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 21 Apr 2017, 17:03

pcqgod wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:

I hated Jared Leto's Joker. But that was just part of the problem.

I thought he should have been the main bad guy that they were all against, with Quinn torn between him and if he really cares for her or not. Then at the end, he "wins" and give most of them the chance of freedom. Quinn is heartbroken because he was just using her and didn't care for her. Then, (because they played it in the first trailer) I started a joke (the version from the first trailer) playing in the last scene with him laughing over a montage of some of them walking free, Quinn back in jail but doesn't care because she's heartbroken, and the woman that created the squad having a look of "what the fuck did I just do creating this squad". It could have been the first superhero film were the bad guy wins.

Just an idea.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

algroth

Postby algroth » 21 Apr 2017, 20:25

Suicide Squad is one of the worst films I've seen, without exaggeration. It was a stupid, gaudy, obnoxious mess, and I despised every minute of it.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 21 Apr 2017, 23:28

Free Fire (2016)

Somewhere in the USA in the 1970's, some IRA-connected types set up a deal to buy a large cache of black market arms, and meet in a deserted warehouse with an intermediary to accomplish the transaction. An unresolved feud between a guy working for the IRA faction and another henchman working for the gun dealer flares up, and before long everyone involved has at least one bullet wound and everyone is scrambling around on the dirty floor of the warehouse, crawling over broken glass and taking pot shots at anything else who moves. Then some other guys show up and start shooting at both groups, and the battle escalates into a gritty, prolonged ordeal in which the final objective is to get the briefcase of cash for the gun-purchase, or perhaps just to be the last man standing. The violence is excessive, but this isn't one of those movies with stylized violence and people flying through the air and nonchalantly firing automatic weapons with inhuman accuracy. There is plenty of dark humor here. It's by the same guy who directed 'Hi-Rise,' but this one is really fun.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 23 Apr 2017, 16:28

Entertaining though not revelatory - other than revealing to me just how gorgeous Alexandra Shipp is.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Apr 2017, 10:02

I enjoyed this but then I have a soft spot for comedy horror. The 80s were great for this sorta thing. The special effects mostly still stand up – the transformation sequence is still a high watermark of the genre – and I enjoyed the jokey American perspective on Britain (why does David never eat our food?). Also: Brian Glover and Jenny Aguter with her kit off (predictably).

Ahhhh, the 70s. Jack is electrifying as Buddusky who is determined to show the naive Meadows (a brilliant, touching Randy Quaid) a good time before he goes to military prison for some trivial offense. It’s shot through with typical 70s anti-establishment cynicism, the performances are great and Townes script is fantastic. There are so many great lines and so many wonderful little moments of humanity. Ashbys direction too has a naturalism that enhances the whole thing. Did I mention how awesome Nicholson is? Magnificent.

The new movie from former Mighty Boosh man Julian Barratt. It’s similar to Alpha Papa but nowhere near as funny although it is watchable and I did chuckle along the way. The fans in the audience were loving it but I was less impressed.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 24 Apr 2017, 16:02

Prince of the City

Pretty damned good. At almost three hours it could use some trimming (there's endless scenes of Williams in different rooms talking to lawyers). Based on fact, it's Lumet's follow up to Serpico - both films dealing with police corruption. Message: Don't talk to the Feds if you're a cop who wants to clear his conscience. You'll regret it.

driftin

Postby driftin » 24 Apr 2017, 19:58

All surface, no depth, but the surface is a pretty good attempt to recreate 1980s schlock. The visuals, the sound, the soundtrack, the prosthetics are all top notch, if dimly lit and a bit shakey. The story's just utter nonsense and the characters are ridiculously stupid for the sake of plot. Still rather enjoyed it and if I got drunk I'd watch it again and have a good time. Just a shame it doesn't quite reach the cosmic heights it's aiming towards.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 25 Apr 2017, 08:19

Stayed up late watching this on HBO. The best film I've seen from the past 5 years other than 12 Years a Slave. I haven't seen Spotlight, but I'm extremely skeptical that a movie about investigative journalists can be anywhere close to this good.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 25 Apr 2017, 14:13

I watched most of it on HBO a few nights ago too. I just remember lots of HD hair, fur and undergrowth.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 25 Apr 2017, 23:03

How much did you watch? I was glued to the TV from the start despite really needing to hit the sack.

algroth

Postby algroth » 26 Apr 2017, 21:45

I saw the film alongside its Argentinian crew, and I think I was the one to enjoy it the most of the whole group. I liked it then a lot more than I do now, but it's a powerful cinematic experience all the same.

Return to “Screenadelica”