Underappreciated/Under-rated Guitarists Of The Brit Pop Era

Do talk back
Dr Markus

Underappreciated/Under-rated Guitarists Of The Brit Pop Era

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Apr 2017, 16:53

Was there any? or was the likes of Noel Gallagher and Bernard Butler just miles ahead of everyone?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Underappreciated/Under-rated Guitarists Of The Brit Pop Era

Postby naughty boy » 19 Apr 2017, 16:56

Graham Coxon
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Apr 2017, 16:57

Mark Collins of The Charlatans.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Apr 2017, 16:57

DADDY-O wrote:Graham Coxon

Would he not be considered well appreciated like Gallagher?

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 19 Apr 2017, 16:58

The Great Defector wrote:Was there any? or was the likes of Noel Gallagher and Bernard Butler just miles ahead of everyone?

Butler is great, Noel is a hack.

:o What about Ed O'Brien and Johnny Greenwood!? Well appreciated I suppose :?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 19 Apr 2017, 17:02

Deebank wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Was there any? or was the likes of Noel Gallagher and Bernard Butler just miles ahead of everyone?

Butler is great, Noel is a hack.

:o What about Ed O'Brien and Johnny Greenwood!? Well appreciated I suppose :?

As much as I FUCKING LOVE RADIOHEAD!!!!!!! O'Brien is effective while Greenwood is fucking excellent. They were well appreciated IMHO.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 19 Apr 2017, 18:06

The guy from 'Mansun'. So under appreciated I can't remember his fucking name.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 19 Apr 2017, 18:13

Butler was tremendous. Really, really great.

Coxon was the next best. Greenwood is good but I think he's more singular as a producer/arranger.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Apr 2017, 18:41

Goat Boy wrote:Greenwood is good but I think he's more singular as a producer/arranger.

He always struck me as the Jimmy Page of that era.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 19 Apr 2017, 19:33

Noel Gallagher is to Graham Coxon as Stars in Their Eyes is to Woodstock

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 19 Apr 2017, 21:47

I suppose it might have been production tricks rather than any artistry, and they peaked a few years before Britpop, but the guitars on the early Ride EPs are pretty good. I always liked the Family Cat live as well.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 19 Apr 2017, 21:57

sloopjohnc wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:Greenwood is good but I think he's more singular as a producer/arranger.

In what sense? He's very thin? He stands stage left? I just watched some videos of his solos, and he seems more indebted to Roger McGuinn "random note freakout" than (often tiring) long solo lines that Jimmy Page played.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Apr 2017, 23:13

Quaco wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

In what sense? He's very thin? He stands stage left? I just watched some videos of his solos, and he seems more indebted to Roger McGuinn "random note freakout" than (often tiring) long solo lines that Jimmy Page played.

That he's a better producer and arranger than guitarist.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 19 Apr 2017, 23:14

Ah I get you. (I don't agree that's the case with Jimmy, personally. I think he's very much one of the best guitarists ever, almost perfect. But I know many feel that way.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Apr 2017, 23:35

Quaco wrote:Ah I get you. (I don't agree that's the case with Jimmy, personally. I think he's very much one of the best guitarists ever, almost perfect. But I know many feel that way.)

He's great, but can be sloppy and is not on par with some of his era or even guitarists in his former band, The Yardbirds. But let's put it this way, his arranging and producing talents are on par with his guitar playing. He's a triple threat, as his Greenwood.

Tactful Cactus

Postby Tactful Cactus » 20 Apr 2017, 10:40

I'd vote for Bernard Butler and Jonny Greenwood aswell. Butler had that Johnny Marr style, lead and rhythm fused into seamless guitar lines but then supercharged with fuzz, phasing, overdrive etc.. You could argue that he overwhelmed some of those early Suede songs but its a real treat to listen to. Its no surprise he went into production, he knew sound. Greenwood was more collaborative, less showy but phenomenal too, especially during the melodic years when he had something to do.

Gaz should get a mention aswell - the only Britpop guitarist playing a Burns, an actual British guitar, and he could turn his hand to anything without it sounding too familiar.

The guy from Boo Radleys should be mentioned aswell.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 20 Apr 2017, 10:51

The twin guitar attack of Jelbert and Frederick in the criminally unappreciated Family Cat and Martin Carr from the Boo Radleys all deserve a shout along with Butler. Never really got into Blur, but am prepared to believe Coxon is great.
Andy Miller of Dodgy also deserves a mention: nothing terribly exciting, but if Gaz Coombes is getting a mention, he deserves one too.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Apr 2017, 10:56

Rayge wrote:Never really got into Blur, but am prepared to believe Coxon is great.

I never liked Blur but Coxon was pretty good - when he wasn't falling down drunk or phoning it in.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Apr 2017, 10:58

Tactful Cactus wrote:I'd vote for Bernard Butler and Jonny Greenwood aswell. Butler had that Johnny Marr style, lead and rhythm fused into seamless guitar lines but then supercharged with fuzz, phasing, overdrive etc.. You could argue that he overwhelmed some of those early Suede songs but its a real treat to listen to. Its no surprise he went into production, he knew sound. Greenwood was more collaborative, less showy but phenomenal too, especially during the melodic years when he had something to do.

Gaz should get a mention aswell - the only Britpop guitarist playing a Burns, an actual British guitar, and he could turn his hand to anything without it sounding too familiar.

The guy from Boo Radleys should be mentioned aswell.

I think Burns guitars may have been made in China by the 90s!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 20 Apr 2017, 10:59

Deebank wrote:
Rayge wrote:Never really got into Blur, but am prepared to believe Coxon is great.

I never liked Blur but Coxon was pretty good - when he wasn't falling down drunk or phoning it in.

My son rates him / them too, but I just never really heard much apart from a couple of singles. Found AllBran and the Cheese Monkey a bit – well, a lot – of a turn-off
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Return to “Yakety Yak”