MORE random stuff about your day

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Rayge

Re: MORE random stuff about your day

Postby Rayge » 13 Apr 2017, 19:41

Jimbo wrote:I got an email from my high school alumni group announcing that they were setting up a $1000 scholarship program in honor of a classmate who recently passed away. It sounded like a nice thing to do until I got to the part where the email said that the scholarship would be given to a graduate from our alma mater who met this qualification: "senior student-athlete, who is enrolling in a 4 year college and majoring in either political science, sports management or pre-law." What irks me is the narrow scope of the qualification. Does society need more campaign managers, sports managers or lawyers? I don't think so. We need more plumbers, electricians and carpenters, not to mention doctors, nurses, scientists and artists. I am sorely tempted to send the email back to the whole group and telling them where to stuff their elitist scholarship. Should I?

Well, it depends, on quite a lot of things. How much do you care about your old school? Did you know and like the dead classmate? Do you care what any of the surviving ones think of you?
Basically, if you don't contribute, some will think you're cheap, others that you're dishonouring the school, or the dead guy, or all three of these. Actually telling them to shove it and why (fwiw I completely agree with you about it being a pile of shit, unless perhaps the dead guy was a jock into law and politics, in which case it's an understandable pile of shit) would only aggravate those reactions. When I was in a similar position with my old university (all my schools have ceased to exist, as have all ties with fellow-sufferers therein) I just stopped responding to their importunings, and they lost interest. Which was fine by me. If any of these people from nearly half a century ago, or their opinions of you, are important to you, then just ignore their request, or find some excuse. If not, damn the torpedoes.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 13 Apr 2017, 21:17

I didn't read the fine print on the box of night-time cold medicine I've used for the past two nights, but apparently it can cause one to stay awake, despite being promoted as a sleep aid. Anyway, combine that with some light bedtime reading of Marxist art theory and suffice to say, I'm a very tired man today. My right leg was jumping around of its own volition and I was having visions of executing the whole Trump clan. What a night.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 13 Apr 2017, 22:42

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I didn't read the fine print on the box of night-time cold medicine I've used for the past two nights, but apparently it can cause one to stay awake, despite being promoted as a sleep aid. Anyway, combine that with some light bedtime reading of Marxist art theory and suffice to say, I'm a very tired man today. My right leg was jumping around of its own volition and I was having visions of executing the whole Trump clan. What a night.

Do you get hit a lot when you play hockey?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 13 Apr 2017, 22:45

Why restrict it to when he's playing hockey?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 14 Apr 2017, 00:06

Rayge wrote:
Jimbo wrote:I got an email from my high school alumni group announcing that they were setting up a $1000 scholarship program in honor of a classmate who recently passed away. It sounded like a nice thing to do until I got to the part where the email said that the scholarship would be given to a graduate from our alma mater who met this qualification: "senior student-athlete, who is enrolling in a 4 year college and majoring in either political science, sports management or pre-law." What irks me is the narrow scope of the qualification. Does society need more campaign managers, sports managers or lawyers? I don't think so. We need more plumbers, electricians and carpenters, not to mention doctors, nurses, scientists and artists. I am sorely tempted to send the email back to the whole group and telling them where to stuff their elitist scholarship. Should I?

Well, it depends, on quite a lot of things. How much do you care about your old school? Did you know and like the dead classmate? Do you care what any of the surviving ones think of you?
Basically, if you don't contribute, some will think you're cheap, others that you're dishonouring the school, or the dead guy, or all three of these. Actually telling them to shove it and why (fwiw I completely agree with you about it being a pile of shit, unless perhaps the dead guy was a jock into law and politics, in which case it's an understandable pile of shit) would only aggravate those reactions. When I was in a similar position with my old university (all my schools have ceased to exist, as have all ties with fellow-sufferers therein) I just stopped responding to their importunings, and they lost interest. Which was fine by me. If any of these people from nearly half a century ago, or their opinions of you, are important to you, then just ignore their request, or find some excuse. If not, damn the torpedoes.

Ray, you are wonderfully astute. If only the dickheads who made up those qualifications had an ounce of your sensitivity. No, I do not give a shit about the school and I did not particularly like the guy who died because, yes, he was a jock from a rich family always talking about the fucking Yankees and baseball statistics and it wouldn't surprise me if he had become a sports lawyer. I haven't cared a whit about him since I left high school fifty years ago. Nonetheless, because of that email I am flashing back, feeling anxiety about how I could never enter into his circle of sports bonhomie. The scholarship sponsor, the guy whose idea it was and is credited in the email, was another member of that group. I knew he was asshole-ish back then but this email proves he grew up to become fully formed shit encrusted, hemorrhoid stricken sphincter muscle. (Around election time the same alumni group coincidentally sent a group email about a reunion which I couldn't attend and I cheekily send it back to all members with a "Vote Bernie!" message. Then I got an all-member email scold from that asshole warning us not to use the mailing list for politics.) I will swallow my impulse to shit on them and just let this be but Jesus, a thousand bucks for a student who, if he or she has those qualifications, probably doesn't need a thousand bucks. :x Thanks for understanding Ray.
Question authority.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 14 Apr 2017, 13:35

Hope Jesus doesn't mind me having a few drinks tonight :? .
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 14 Apr 2017, 23:35

My friend from Oregon sent me this time lapse photo of the state to try and get me to move there quicker.

https://www.theatlantic.com/video/index ... le-oregon/
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 14 Apr 2017, 23:55

They forgot the final scene, two more months into Pres Trump

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/im ... whousu.gif

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Apr 2017, 15:18

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 16 Apr 2017, 13:54

Just got word that my father in law fell down and is in the hospital delirious with a high fever. He's 88 and was never in tip top shape as long as I knew him. Nonetheless, I am very sad over this and I hope he pulls through. I am reminded of how Christians mourn over Jesus by saying how God gave us his only son to save the world. This man gave me his daughter. Can you imagine that? He gave a schmuck like me his daughter and for that I am so so so grateful to the man.
Question authority.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Apr 2017, 15:02

Jimbo wrote:Just got word that my father in law fell down and is in the hospital delirious with a high fever. He's 88 and was never in tip top shape as long as I knew him. Nonetheless, I am very sad over this and I hope he pulls through. I am reminded of how Christians mourn over Jesus by saying how God gave us his only son to save the world. This man gave me his daughter. Can you imagine that? He gave a schmuck like me his daughter and for that I am so so so grateful to the man.

Nice sentiment, Jimbo. Hope he pulls through and he's not suffering much.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Apr 2017, 16:49

sloopjohnc wrote:
Jimbo wrote:Just got word that my father in law fell down and is in the hospital delirious with a high fever. He's 88 and was never in tip top shape as long as I knew him. Nonetheless, I am very sad over this and I hope he pulls through. I am reminded of how Christians mourn over Jesus by saying how God gave us his only son to save the world. This man gave me his daughter. Can you imagine that? He gave a schmuck like me his daughter and for that I am so so so grateful to the man.

Nice sentiment, Jimbo. Hope he pulls through and he's not suffering much.

Ditto.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 16 Apr 2017, 17:42

You're very fortunate to have and to have had him in your life. Pippa's dad died in 2000 from prostate cancer, at the relatively young age of 68, eleven years before I met her.

It's a continuing sadness to me and genuinely upsetting that I never met Peter, by all accounts and from what Pippa and her mum have told me, we would - to use an old expression - "have gotten on like a house on fire". :|

I hope your father-in-law pulls through pretty soon.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Apr 2017, 18:31

It's heartwarming seeing all my friends and families celebrating Easter, but kinda sucky that I'm not part of a full family anymore with a wife and kids. I still get to spend lots of time with them, but not as intimately as before.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Apr 2017, 23:38

Proof that I don't wear a sleeveless tee to every occasion.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 16 Apr 2017, 23:44

Or arms.

Six String

Postby Six String » 17 Apr 2017, 05:27

Harvey K-Tel wrote:I didn't read the fine print on the box of night-time cold medicine I've used for the past two nights, but apparently it can cause one to stay awake, despite being promoted as a sleep aid. Anyway, combine that with some light bedtime reading of Marxist art theory and suffice to say, I'm a very tired man today. My right leg was jumping around of its own volition and I was having visions of executing the whole Trump clan. What a night.

The sleepy time medicine s usually an anthistamine and they are using the "side effect" of drowsiness as it is used for colds and allergies as the main action of the med. unfortunately some people get the opposite effect of the antistamine and feel hyper instead.npt so good at "bedtime." Better off taking seconal, qualudes or other meds made for sleeping if you want to sleep. Don't mess around with OTC meds. They will get you no where fast.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 Apr 2017, 16:42

Loving the coffee too much today.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 18 Apr 2017, 18:02

Six String wrote:

The sleepy time medicine s usually an anthistamine and they are using the "side effect" of drowsiness as it is used for colds and allergies as the main action of the med. unfortunately some people get the opposite effect of the antistamine and feel hyper instead.npt so good at "bedtime." Better off taking seconal, qualudes or other meds made for sleeping if you want to sleep. Don't mess around with OTC meds. They will get you no where fast.

Yeah, I'm done with that shit.

In other news, my hockey team, The Flying Burritos, won the annual Hockey Summit of the Arts this weekend. Here I am, holding the most godawful ugly-ass trophy that has ever been seen, with the rest of my teammates, right after our win:

Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 Apr 2017, 18:20

Harvey K-Tel wrote:In other news, my hockey team, The Flying Burritos, won the annual Hockey Summit of the Arts this weekend. Here I am, holding the most godawful ugly-ass trophy that has ever been seen, with the rest of my teammates, right after our win:

Are you the enforcer type dude on the team?

Return to “Nextdoorland”