All Night Long
14%
Church of the Poisoned Mind
24%

Total votes: 29

Ranking Ted

Re: five from 1983

Postby Ranking Ted » 17 Apr 2017, 20:37

I love Africa without it being a guilty pleasure. I think DF is referring to that ridiculous Kilimanjaro/ Serengeti couplet, which is very silly. I also dig Lionel's fairly nuts amalgam of yacht rock and whatever else he's aiming for (reggae? calypso? who knows). And I guess KC is cheesy fun at 34 years distance.

But you can count me out with the insipid Culture Club (nearly everything is rubbish apart from Time) and I just can't get with any of that Steinman bombast, game as Bonnie is.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Apr 2017, 20:43

I fucking LOATHE "Total Eclipse" and I'm quite depressed to learn that it actually has supporters here. "Schlock" is far too kind a word for it.

I got real sick of "All Night Long" at the time - it was my first semester at college and I was sharing a dorm suite with a couple of jocks who would put that on repeat on their (very powerful) stereo every damned night while they played drinking games. After a while my roommate and I started retaliating with White Light/White Heat or Kick Out The Jams (or, in extreme cases, Trout Mask Replica or The Art Of Walking). I don't mind it now, though.

I don't remember ever hearing "Give It Up" back in '83, or anytime since. Listening now. It's not too bad.

"Africa" went in one ear and out the other then, and still does.

"Church Of The Poison Mind" sounded okay then and still does, and it gets my vote.

Pool Hall Richard

Postby Pool Hall Richard » 17 Apr 2017, 21:27

Africa is fantastic. The others very good. The lyrics to All Night Long are dreadful, marking that one down even though a decent tune/riff.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Apr 2017, 21:31

Darkness_Fish wrote:It's a close call between "Give it up" and "Church of the Poisoned Mind", but I eventually plumped for KC. If you're going to choose between 5 slices of silliness, and least pick the one that sounds fun.

Which is the reason I didn't include it in my dismissal. KC can only do fun.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 17 Apr 2017, 22:22

Bonnie, Lionel, and Culture Club, but I'm giving to CC, because I think it's the best song here, and the backing vocal by Helen Terry, is phenomenal. The other two, I was never that bothered about.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 17 Apr 2017, 22:50

Charlie O. wrote:I fucking LOATHE "Total Eclipse" and I'm quite depressed to learn that it actually has supporters here.

Charlie! I've never known you be so vituperative!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 17 Apr 2017, 23:19

DADDY-O wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:I fucking LOATHE "Total Eclipse" and I'm quite depressed to learn that it actually has supporters here.

I know. I hide it well.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 18 Apr 2017, 00:01

:)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 18 Apr 2017, 01:05

I absolutely love the KC track- it's cheeky and summery and irresistible!

Second would be the Culture Club- one of their best tracks IMHO and everyone's spot on about Helen Terry.

I like all of them, really; it's 80s pop. Least favourite has to be Eclipse because it's a bit silly, plus I can't forget my mum watching it on TOTP, and complaining about Bonnie Tyler's voice: ' hasn't she heard of throat lozenges?'
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Carlisle Wheeling

Postby Carlisle Wheeling » 18 Apr 2017, 01:34

I remember the disappointment on reading that Mike Nesmith had produced the video for All Night Long. It was like hearing Michelangelo had taken up bricklaying.

I voted for Church; surprising really, I'm a Hitchins man.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Apr 2017, 01:49

Good God, it looks like the Steinman lovers have taken over the board.

'Give it Up' and 'Church of the Poison Mind' are brilliant, and 'All Night Long' probably would've been added to them if I was being more objective but i'm kinda burnt out on it (and have been since the late '80s). For me, the 1st two in particular are gorgeous pop songs with nary a second wasted, built around fantastic hooks and with just the right mix of pop and soul. Songs for the ages.

'Africa' is too schlocky for me, the vocals and the dumb lyrics have always rubbed me the wrong way. It's an ok pop song musically though when it all comes down, just not great for me. If I HAD too, i'd rather their late-70s cheese like 'Hold The Line' or 'Georgie Porgy'.

'And 'Total Eclipse...' is just Steinman at his overblown-rubbish best, cod musical-pop that needs a good flamethrowing.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Apr 2017, 01:52

Charlie O. wrote:
DADDY-O wrote:

I know. I hide it well.

:D
Jonny Spencer wrote:

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 18 Apr 2017, 02:01

"Africa" was something I enjoyed hearing on the radio back in the day, when most of what I listened to was top 40. The Lionel Ritchie song brings back fond memories of Spring Break on South Padre Island. I wasn't a big fan of Culture Club, but some of their singles were perfectly decent, including that one. To my knowledge, I've never heard that KC song, but it's pretty catchy.

I'm with Charlie on "Total Eclipse of the Heart." Never liked it at all.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 18 Apr 2017, 02:03

Great moments in pop songs #294

'Give it Up' just builds and flows so beautifully as a song; catchy verses, huge chorus, fabulous outro, the whole thing. But even the little breakdown/bridge between 2:10 - 2:25 is perfect. The momentary extra space between the funky beats lets the interplay between disco scratch guitar and keyboards re-energise the song and the listener, and the little synth stabs get you in the mood for the huge lifting synth that gets you back and ready for the 2nd half of the song. Masterclass stuff.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Return to “Yakety Yak”