Now Watching on TV

..and why not?
jimboo

Re: Now Watching on TV

Postby jimboo » 24 Mar 2017, 19:38

Geezee wrote:Binged on The Staircase (and the follow-up) on Youtube over a couple of weeks. I still can't get over how the TV crew managed to "strike gold" (so to speak) on this case - they must have started filming a week or two after the death, and followed it through to its incredible conclusion, with innumerable, improbable twists and turns and interesting characters. How they were able to identify a case, mobilise the necessary resources and convince all the participants (particularly since they are a foreign TV crew) in such a short period of time, and then have that case turn into such an absolute soap opera over the course of so many years, is really incredible. The whole detour into the case in Germany, the fact that the second body was embalmed/exhumed, the whole blowpoke thing, the forceful sister-in-law, the permanently angry-looking DA who looks like the worst kind of high school bully, and perhaps most incredibly the FBI blood spatter expert - whom they spend so much time on in the original documentary, without having any foreknowledgeable of what was about to be revealed about him (but there are so many things in his testimony that really made you wonder)...and just the whole uncertainty/mystery over what on earth happened. Like Making the Murderer, it definitely has its critics for being one-sided, but just because they spend more time with the defense, it doesn't mean, in my mind at least, that it is in any way biased - it lets the dialogue speak for itself, the characters speak for themselves, and you can make your own mind up. Anyone who is convinced they know what happened one way or another has watched another programme, in my mind.

He did it , no doubt. Unless you believe the owl theory of course.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 25 Mar 2017, 14:20

Watching live coverage of the 2017 Virginia Festival of the Book.

Up first, Panel Discussion on the English Language Allan Metcalf, author of From Skedaddle to Selfie: Words of the Generation, and Robert Alden Rubin, author of Going to Hell in a Hen Basket: An Illustrated Dictionary of Modern Malapropisms:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?425597-2/panel-discussion-english-language
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Postby ... » 25 Mar 2017, 15:20

fueryIre wrote:The Missing S2 - just finished last night.

Along with S3 of Line of Duty and S2 of Happy Valley very probably the best thing on UK TV during 2016. Despite the stiff competition, Keeley Hawes must be a shoo-in for next year's BAFTA after missing out for her superb turn in S2 of LOD

LOD series 4 starts on BBC1 tomorrow night.

Started watching SSGB but gave it the hände hoch after two episodes

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 25 Mar 2017, 16:18

This is much more interesting than the first panel discussion:

Panel Discussion on Nuclear War Susan Southard, author of Nagaski: Life After Nuclear War, Caren Stelson, author of Sachiko: A Nagaski Bomb Survivor’s Story, and Dan Zak, author of Almighty: Courage, Resistance, and Existential Peril in the Nuclear Age

https://www.c-span.org/video/?425597-5/panel-discussion-nuclear-war

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 27 Mar 2017, 09:33

jimboo wrote:
Geezee wrote:Binged on The Staircase (and the follow-up) on Youtube over a couple of weeks. I still can't get over how the TV crew managed to "strike gold" (so to speak) on this case - they must have started filming a week or two after the death, and followed it through to its incredible conclusion, with innumerable, improbable twists and turns and interesting characters. How they were able to identify a case, mobilise the necessary resources and convince all the participants (particularly since they are a foreign TV crew) in such a short period of time, and then have that case turn into such an absolute soap opera over the course of so many years, is really incredible. The whole detour into the case in Germany, the fact that the second body was embalmed/exhumed, the whole blowpoke thing, the forceful sister-in-law, the permanently angry-looking DA who looks like the worst kind of high school bully, and perhaps most incredibly the FBI blood spatter expert - whom they spend so much time on in the original documentary, without having any foreknowledgeable of what was about to be revealed about him (but there are so many things in his testimony that really made you wonder)...and just the whole uncertainty/mystery over what on earth happened. Like Making the Murderer, it definitely has its critics for being one-sided, but just because they spend more time with the defense, it doesn't mean, in my mind at least, that it is in any way biased - it lets the dialogue speak for itself, the characters speak for themselves, and you can make your own mind up. Anyone who is convinced they know what happened one way or another has watched another programme, in my mind.

He did it , no doubt. Unless you believe the owl theory of course.

Well, considering it is all but proven that she did not die as a result of a beating, nor any understanding of what could be a murder weapon, nor any motive, I find it hard to reach that conclusion - although I also have no idea what the most plausible alternative is.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 05 Apr 2017, 19:03

New season of "Archer" begins airing tonight. This season will transpose the "Archer" gang to a noir, 1940's setting. The lead character will be a private dick, of course.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Postby ... » 05 Apr 2017, 20:55

Never having seen it before, I'm about to watch Brideshead Revisited.

Anyone here have any opinions on whether it is worth/not worth all the accolades it gets?

driftin

Postby driftin » 06 Apr 2017, 16:19

I have a soft spot for depressing teenage stuff. This one's actually good.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 07 Apr 2017, 09:49

Latest instalment of Coogan and Brydon's The Trip, now in Spain.

Half of me thinks it's the best thing on TV by a mile, with its nuanced travelogue/road trip portrayal of two middle aged men's lives (one that goes back a long way now). Brydon is brilliant, Coogan less so, but his character more ambiguous in his direction.

Then the other half of me thinks it's sanctimonious shite that most people only watch for the impressions.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 07 Apr 2017, 09:51

The pair of them are such cunts. I can't watch it.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 08 Apr 2017, 19:24

Actually Brydon was very funny in that last one - he gave me some big laughs.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 09 Apr 2017, 01:39

driftin wrote:Image

Have you read the novel?

driftin

Postby driftin » 09 Apr 2017, 06:24

PresMuffley wrote:
driftin wrote:Image

Have you read the novel?

I have not. Any good?

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 09 Apr 2017, 07:00

Oh, sorry. I didn't mean to lead you on - haven't read it either. The show & novel both look interesting, though I don't do much netflixing. The last thing I watched on it was the first few episodes of The OA.

Postby ... » 09 Apr 2017, 09:55

Toby wrote:Latest instalment of Coogan and Brydon's The Trip, now in Spain.

Half of me thinks it's the best thing on TV by a mile, with its nuanced travelogue/road trip portrayal of two middle aged men's lives (one that goes back a long way now). Brydon is brilliant, Coogan less so, but his character more ambiguous in his direction.

Then the other half of me thinks it's sanctimonious shite that most people only watch for the impressions.

Loved series one and two and quite liked episodes 1 through 3 of the most recent series, but the dream sequence with which they started episode 4 really jarred and the show seemed to lose its way after that.

Amazingly, quite a few people think that The Trip is a documentary rather than Coogan and Brydon acting meta-versions of their perceived personalities (Coogan as an up-himself poseur and Brydon as someone desperate for attention).

Rumour has it there will be a fourth series which will use Ireland's Great Atlantic Way (at well over 1,000 miles apparently the longest stretch of continuous road in either Europe or the world). Given that Coogan has Irish roots, promises to be quite interesting.

Of the two, I think Coogan is the better impressionist. RB's Roger Moore sounds more like Alec Guinness while it's hard to tell who he's mocking when he adopts that Alan Bennett/David Hockney voice

Graham Murakami

Postby Graham Murakami » 17 Apr 2017, 23:21

fueryIre wrote:Never having seen it before, I'm about to watch Brideshead Revisited.

Anyone here have any opinions on whether it is worth/not worth all the accolades it gets?

Its unbelievably under-rated.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 19 Apr 2017, 21:43

Tonight I'm watching the season finales of "The Magicians" and "The Expanse," the new episode of "Archer," and the season premiere of "Fargo," in one 4-hour marathon.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 20 Apr 2017, 16:36

Watched the first episode of Veep season 6 episode 1. They are over loading on the cursing and insults. Previously it was subtle and sometimes unexpected. Now it's every 2nd line. Other than that, it was good.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Postby ... » 20 Apr 2017, 17:41

The Great Defector wrote:Watched the first episode of Veep season 6 episode 1. They are over loading on the cursing and insults. Previously it was subtle and sometimes unexpected. Now it's every 2nd line. Other than that, it was good.

Probably because Iamando Iannuci is now purely getting a producers' credit and has nothing to do with the actual writing of the show

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 21 Apr 2017, 13:19

3rd episode of the Trip was excellent. Brando doing the Spanish Inquisition was hilarious, as was the Bowie stuff too.

Return to “Screenadelica”