The last impressive performance by Robert De Niro?

..and why not?

Re: The last impressive performance by Robert De Niro?

Postby ... » 24 Mar 2017, 15:39

The Great Defector wrote:Nicholson's officially retired now I think.

Thought the backers were trying to get him to sign on for the crazy dad role in the (almost sure to be a disastrous - they always are) US remake of Toni Erdmann...

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 15:46

The Great Defector wrote:I was watching in silver lining playbook the other night and come to the conclusion that these days with shakey camera, too many close ups and more rapid editing, that you don't get a chance to see him (and other old school actors of his elk) long enough to see them fully act in a shot. In the likes of goodfellas, god-da, taxi driver etc, the camera was fixed on him for a lot longer. Even a minute or two more than in most of today's films.

It's just a theory.

While I generally share your opinion that the tics of modern filmmakers have been detrimental - it still has to be said that great screen acting still exists. If a guy like Phillip Seymour Hoffman could put up a career-full of greatness in the late 90s and 2000s - then it has to have been possible for De Niro to have fared better.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Mar 2017, 15:47

Davey the Fat Boy wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:I was watching in silver lining playbook the other night and come to the conclusion that these days with shakey camera, too many close ups and more rapid editing, that you don't get a chance to see him (and other old school actors of his elk) long enough to see them fully act in a shot. In the likes of goodfellas, god-da, taxi driver etc, the camera was fixed on him for a lot longer. Even a minute or two more than in most of today's films.

It's just a theory.

While I generally share your opinion that the tics of modern filmmakers have been detrimental - it still has to be said that great screen acting still exists. If a guy like Phillip Seymour Hoffman could put up a career-full of greatness in the late 90s and 2000s - then it has to have been possible for De Niro to have fared better.

Good point, exception to the rule maybe?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Mar 2017, 16:26

People might laugh at this, but I thought he was really good in the Intern with Ann Hathaway.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 16:43

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Mar 2017, 16:45

sloopjohnc wrote:People might laugh at this, but I thought he was really good in the Intern with Ann Hathaway.

The only thing that can possibly save you now is...."I was watching this to impress a lady friend".
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 24 Mar 2017, 16:46

I was just pointing out that Nicholson did plenty of films as an old bloke, prior to retiring, that the glass ceiling which rich white men face isn't perhaps as bad as we all feared. Michael Caine did ok too, playing Michael Caine better in old age than he did as a youth, I think.

*Edit - I didn't notice this discussion had moved on to page 2. It now looks strangely out of place, without quoting someone. Damn you, internet.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Mar 2017, 16:59

I think De Niro has been in some embarrassing films whereas Nicholson and Freeman perhaps haven't and that's the difference. But in terms of great parts none of them have exactly been killing it for quite some time although About Schmidt was a notable exception for Jack
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Postby ... » 24 Mar 2017, 17:33

sloopjohnc wrote:People might laugh at this, but I thought he was really good in the Intern with Ann Hathaway.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Mar 2017, 18:49

The Great Defector wrote:

The only thing that can possibly save you now is...."I was watching this to impress a lady friend".

:oops:

I like it

Testicles shrivel while he types

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Mar 2017, 19:54

It's called banter and having the craic. We couldn't care less if he liked it or not.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Mar 2017, 20:15

The Great Defector wrote:It's called banter and having the craic. We couldn't care less if he liked it or not.

What Mark's saying is that light hearted, critical debate goes out the window as long as he can make a joke about my manhood.

Do I have that pretty much right?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 24 Mar 2017, 20:19

Yeah. If you were that bothered by it we know you'd let us hear it.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 24 Mar 2017, 20:55

The Great Defector wrote:Yeah. If you were that bothered by it we know you'd let us hear it.

Your posts on the NBA thread bother me. This, no.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 25 Mar 2017, 02:38

sloopjohnc wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:Yeah. If you were that bothered by it we know you'd let us hear it.

Your posts on the NBA thread bother me. This, no.

The truth hurts you about America's 2nd/3ed sport.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 25 Mar 2017, 07:23

He played Robert De Niro pretty well in Silver Linings Playbook.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 25 Mar 2017, 10:59

I watched Silver Linings Playbook - forgettable film for the most part. I mean, I remember who was in it, but that's about it.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 25 Mar 2017, 19:10

In a very underwritten part I thought he was fine. The film was very very slight. However I'd rather watch this again than suffer The Hateful Eight or Interstellar again.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

joels344

Postby joels344 » 27 Mar 2017, 01:22

PresMuffley wrote:I watched Silver Linings Playbook - forgettable film for the most part. I mean, I remember who was in it, but that's about it.

It's one of those films that does the bare minimum in terms of telling a story, setting up relatively believable characters and motivates scenes well enough to produce a coherent film. Nothing particularly bad from a filmmaking standpoint, but nothing particularly memorable either. I did like Bradley Cooper in the film, though. He's a damn good actor anyway.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Return to “Screenadelica”