What should I know about Suburban Lawns?

Do talk back
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

What should I know about Suburban Lawns?

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Mar 2017, 21:20

Fire away!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

PresMuffley

Re: What should I know about Suburban Lawns?

Postby PresMuffley » 20 Mar 2017, 21:38

They released one album, one EP, and they're awesome.

Need more details?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Mar 2017, 21:45

Probably.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Mar 2017, 21:54

Geez. haven't heard that name in a long time. I had their single, Gidget Goes to Hell, and their album, on IRS, I believe.

They were kind of a SoCal version of the Mutants, a San Francisco band. Kinda typical post-punk, jagged guitars, frenzied drumming, kinda loose - I liked their female singer(s). Kinda Romeo Void before Romeo Void, without the sax.

Think less political Gang of Four and Au Pairs, when those kinda bands were around at the time.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 20 Mar 2017, 21:58

Su Tissue was their female singer (non-plural, if ya didn't notice). Don't get the Romeo Void comparison at all...
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 20 Mar 2017, 22:02

sloopjohnc wrote:Geez. haven't heard that name in a long time. I had their single, Gidget Goes to Hell, and their album, on IRS, I believe.

They were kind of a SoCal version of the Mutants, a San Francisco band. Kinda typical post-punk, jagged guitars, frenzied drumming, kinda loose - I liked their female singer(s). Kinda Romeo Void before Romeo Void, without the sax.

Think less political Gang of Four and Au Pairs, when those kinda bands were around at the time.

I like the small amount I've heard so far. The vocals are a bit squawky for elongated listening but aren't really too different from The Slits who I listen to all the time, so...

Dr Markus wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Mar 2017, 22:14

Minnie the Minx wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:Geez. haven't heard that name in a long time. I had their single, Gidget Goes to Hell, and their album, on IRS, I believe.

I like the small amount I've heard so far. The vocals are a bit squawky for elongated listening but aren't really too different from The Slits who I listen to all the time, so...

Sorta. It's funny you comment on their singing because Ari Up is very much an acquired taste - you kinda either love it or hate it, but they're less annoying than Lena Lovich. To me anyway.

They only made the one album.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 22 Mar 2017, 20:40

I acquired their album & single earlier this year, and like them. They kind of remind me of the Au Pairs I guess... edgy and acidic but not assaultive.

They were recommended by Mike Watt who said the Minutemen were helped by them early on, another South of LA based band that had trouble "fitting the suit" in the early 80s.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 31 Mar 2017, 00:25

I listened to them again this week after reading this thread. They were a strange bird all right. Some of it is very uptempo, good-time sounding music, but there's a weirdness there. I can see how they would have had a hard time if you put them on the bill with Black Flag or the Angry Samoans, they would seem really wimpy. But if you put them on a bill with Flock of Seagulls or Blondie, those people would likely find it too weird and off-putting. There's not a "hit" in there. Another one of those bands that never found their niche. Nevertheless, I LOVE that photo from the LP cover, one of their most memorable creations.

Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “Yakety Yak”