Turntable recommendation

Do talk back
Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Turntable recommendation

Postby Nikki Gradual » 20 Mar 2017, 16:37

Apologies if this is the wrong section for this (mods please move it if it is), but I am looking for a good turntable recommendation for my nephew. Anything up to £150, but pref under £100. Last one I bought was one of those cheap Rega Planar clones which would be perfect if they weren't now well beyond his price range. All suggestions appreciated, but needs to be a traditional record player, not something that does digital stuff or has a built-in amp or anything.
Also, because he is young and broke, the cash is finite and he is well aware of the limitations on quality that his budget brings. He just wants to know about the best ones that can be bought in that price range, rather than all the much better ones that are even only slightly more expensive.

Thanks
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Hugh

Re: Turntable recommendation

Postby Hugh » 20 Mar 2017, 17:28

I'm going to stick my neck out and say that there is probably nothing approaching good at that price. His best bet would be to go to a reputable hifi shop and see if they have anything second hand or ex dem.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 20 Mar 2017, 17:50

Hugh is correct , are you in the UK ? Richer sounds refurb units are your best bet , really , you need around 200 min for a good worthwhile deck.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 20 Mar 2017, 18:53

Thanks for the input. I should have put more stress on the fact that he is 21 and he listens to rubbish anyway, so "good" is relative and "least bad in that price range" is probably more appropriate.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Tom Waits For No One

Postby Tom Waits For No One » 20 Mar 2017, 19:31

Give a shit or be a shit.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 20 Mar 2017, 20:06

I've got a Rega RP1, and it's superb, but I think it's since gone up in price since I bought it for about £200 a few years back, because they've added a better cartridge.

I don;t know nuffin about them(I'd hate to be a hi-fi buff, they're the weirdest people alive), but this google search brings up some decent looking stuff: https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid ... nder+200&*
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Mar 2017, 20:11

Darkness_Fish wrote:...I'd hate to be a hi-fi buff, they're the weirdest people alive...

You can only make this claim because there are (probably) no U.S. Civil War buffs in your area.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 20 Mar 2017, 20:19

Snarfyguy wrote:
Darkness_Fish wrote:...I'd hate to be a hi-fi buff, they're the weirdest people alive...

You can only make this claim because there are (probably) no U.S. Civil War buffs in your area.

True. One of my best friends is weirdly obsessed by military history though. One of those people who ruins films by shouting things like "the French wouldn't have had a flintlock with the firing mechanism like that until the 18th century. The fuckwits!". He's not as weird as a hi-fi buff.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 21 Mar 2017, 10:16

I found this on a Dutch 2nd hand site, the Pro-Ject Debut II, with an excellent Ortofon OMB5 cartridge, the seller asks € 130.00, which converts to GBP 112.50.

I expressly chose the photo of the real machine, the 'smears' are only the effect of the camera flash.

It must be very easy to find something similar in the UK. It's an excellent player, and hey: our own Billybob knows the owner of the company!

On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 21 Mar 2017, 20:09

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:I found this on a Dutch 2nd hand site, the Pro-Ject Debut II, with an excellent Ortofon OMB5 cartridge, the seller asks € 130.00, which converts to GBP 112.50.

I expressly chose the photo of the real machine, the 'smears' are only the effect of the camera flash.

It must be very easy to find something similar in the UK. It's an excellent player, and hey: our own Billybob knows the owner of the company!

I used to own one of those, it was a nice turntable, the platter had some serious weight behind it, I don't think an earthquake would've caused any distortion.

Return to “Yakety Yak”