Total votes: 10

Deebank
Resonator

Re: Should Osborne resign?

Postby Deebank » 20 Mar 2017, 12:02

PresMuffley wrote:
Deebank wrote:
Toby wrote:
There was a fairly substantial investigative journalism piece yesterday about the Hard Left's infiltration of the Labour Party.

"Hard left"

:lol:

Since when has a mild Keynsian, mixed economy approach been 'hard left'?

When you actually look at what Corbyn is proposing it is all very reasonable - many policies are even popular with tories (re-nationalising rail for one).

Yeah, I haven't noticed any substantive talk of workers taking control of their places of employment or redistribution of the monarchy's wealth.

Indeed, far from it, but it suits our right wing overlords to perpetuate that myth.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Purgatory Brite

Postby Purgatory Brite » 20 Mar 2017, 12:04

Toby wrote:he's not tainted with defeat over Brexit quite like Cameron is

Are you sure? It was Osborne who threatened the post-Brexit "punishment budget". He was a full participant in the Remain campaign's Project Fear.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 20 Mar 2017, 12:08

Purgatory Brite wrote:

Are you sure? It was Osborne who threatened the post-Brexit "punishment budget". He was a full participant in the Remain campaign's Project Fear.

I agree. I think Osbourne is equally tainted, and is just as fatally injured as Cameron. I don't see any future for him, as he will always be seen as the one of the architects of Brexit. Not that he was ever Mr Popular...
You don't like me...do you?

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 20 Mar 2017, 12:09

Deebank wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:
Deebank wrote:
"Hard left"

:lol:

Since when has a mild Keynsian, mixed economy approach been 'hard left'?

When you actually look at what Corbyn is proposing it is all very reasonable - many policies are even popular with tories (re-nationalising rail for one).

Yeah, I haven't noticed any substantive talk of workers taking control of their places of employment or redistribution of the monarchy's wealth.

Indeed, far from it, but it suits our right wing overlords to perpetuate that myth.

And yet you just mentioned nationalising the railways...

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 20 Mar 2017, 12:22

yomptepi wrote: ruling metropolitan elite only too happy to belittle a working man.

This sounds like a very familiar trope constantly hammered into those with a lesser degree of education - you must be afraid of your betters, etc. There's an underlying condescension in the ones who typically spout such nonsense that I find much more despicable, and worthy of much greater concern than snooty city folks.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 Mar 2017, 12:37

Purgatory Brite wrote:

He didn't pull the trigger though on the decision for the referendum. Cameron will always have that decision and the consequences of it attached to him. Osborne was a full participant in Project Fear for sure, but I think he has a political life left in him - the events of the next few years are very difficult to predict.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 Mar 2017, 12:39

For talk about the hard left infiltration of the party, this article has the audio recording of Jon Lansmann's (founder of Momentum) plans to depose Corbyn.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... CMP=twt_gu

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Mar 2017, 13:45

Toby wrote:
Purgatory Brite wrote:

He didn't pull the trigger though on the decision for the referendum. Cameron will always have that decision and the consequences of it attached to him. Osborne was a full participant in Project Fear for sure, but I think he has a political life left in him - the events of the next few years are very difficult to predict.

I don't think so. Osborne always struck me as completely unconcerned about 'politics' as such - merely as a tool to progress his finances. He most certainly doesn't need it (financially) and doesn't appear the most naturally gifted at making alliances - which he would certainly need if he ever made a run at another top office.

No, he'll see this editor's job as the way to gain even more contacts in the media, to progress his career as one of the top guys at one of the top banks - working 8 hours a week for a multi-million pound contract.

That's his aim in life.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 20 Mar 2017, 14:21

Some remarkably original "thinking" there Peter. Have you ever considered writing for a living?

*like*
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Mar 2017, 14:48

yomptepi wrote:
Deebank wrote:
PresMuffley wrote:

And yet you just mentioned nationalising the railways...

A popular policy even with tory voters - so hardly 'hard left'.

You are evidently out of touch with 'angry of Tunbridge Wells' who has to use the utterly fucking shambolic Southern Rail on a daily basis (as do many of my old friends back in Brighton and its environs) - and shambolic way before any industrial action kicked off to boot. Regardless of their political stripe they are praying for someone to sort out the mess - the favoured route seems to be re-nationalisation. It worked for the Eastern Mainline - a success under public ownership and thus sold back to their private sector mates by your friends in the tory party.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

yomptepi

Postby yomptepi » 20 Mar 2017, 15:32

Southern rail is not the entire network, and there is still a huge number of people who remember how the railways were under public ownership, and would never go back to those dreadful days.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 Mar 2017, 15:59

Deebank wrote:
You are evidently out of touch with 'angry of Tunbridge Wells' who has to use the utterly fucking shambolic Southern Rail on a daily basis (as do many of my old friends back in Brighton and its environs) - and shambolic way before any industrial action kicked off to boot. Regardless of their political stripe they are praying for someone to sort out the mess - the favoured route seems to be re-nationalisation. It worked for the Eastern Mainline - a success under public ownership and thus sold back to their private sector mates by your friends in the tory party.

A pedant writes. Tunbridge Wells is on the SouthEastern line. Not that their service is much better, but the issues over the British rail network go much deeper than the binary perspective of public vs private ownership.

The fact remains that the infrastructure overhaul of our network is a project of such immense undertaking that I would be wary of a public initiative being able to manage it and not overspend in the billions. If Britain had a rail network of European quality like the Germans, then I think on the whole, public ownership would no doubt work. But the problem is that there are vast obstacles to be surmounted. And whilst I think public ownership of the rail network is probably a good thing, it might be that in order for the service to improve, private companies are often the way forward on this sort of thing on a piecemeal basis. Southern is a great example of how to run a service badly, but then again they are having to deal with the fact that since 2010 or so, as costs of living escalated enormously in London, more and more people are moving out of the capital to live elsewhere. Their train running is at maximum capacity (people in Brighton where services start often have to stand) and you can't just build more track and trains in this sort of situation.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Mar 2017, 16:18

Toby wrote:
Deebank wrote:

A pedant writes. Tunbridge Wells is on the SouthEastern line. Not that their service is much better, but the issues over the British rail network go much deeper than the binary perspective of public vs private ownership.

The fact remains that the infrastructure overhaul of our network is a project of such immense undertaking that I would be wary of a public initiative being able to manage it and not overspend in the billions. If Britain had a rail network of European quality like the Germans, then I think on the whole, public ownership would no doubt work. But the problem is that there are vast obstacles to be surmounted. And whilst I think public ownership of the rail network is probably a good thing, it might be that in order for the service to improve, private companies are often the way forward on this sort of thing on a piecemeal basis. Southern is a great example of how to run a service badly, but then again they are having to deal with the fact that since 2010 or so, as costs of living escalated enormously in London, more and more people are moving out of the capital to live elsewhere. Their train running is at maximum capacity (people in Brighton where services start often have to stand) and you can't just build more track and trains in this sort of situation.

You seem to have forgotten that the network itself is still publicly-owned. My point is though that Eastern Mainline worked very well in Public hands - I interviewed their head of IT a few years ago as they were rolling out wifi on all their trains.
Anyway, instead of having to shovel money at their share-holders, a public service could use that money to invest - FFS we already subsidise these greedy fucking operators to the hilt as they transfer the cash to their rich owners to fund their caribbean island homes!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Mar 2017, 16:21

yomptepi wrote:Southern rail is not the entire network, and there is still a huge number of people who remember how the railways were under public ownership, and would never go back to those dreadful days.

I remember it well - seemed to work a fuck of a lot better than Southern Rail is - ask any current passenger what they think. There is a large lobby of SR users that are part of the Bring Back British Rail pressure group - they may even have started it!

borofan

Postby borofan » 20 Mar 2017, 17:09

Corporate whore wrote:
borofan wrote:If he turns out as good an editor as he was a Chancellor, the Standard will be out of business in a fortnight.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Just hoping...
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 20 Mar 2017, 18:01

Deebank wrote:
Toby wrote:
Deebank wrote:

You seem to have forgotten that the network itself is still publicly-owned. My point is though that Eastern Mainline worked very well in Public hands - I interviewed their head of IT a few years ago as they were rolling out wifi on all their trains.
Anyway, instead of having to shovel money at their share-holders, a public service could use that money to invest - FFS we already subsidise these greedy fucking operators to the hilt as they transfer the cash to their rich owners to fund their caribbean island homes!

As a regular user of the Eastern mainline, it didn't work well in public hands. The standard of cleanliness dropped, the number of cancellations increased, and it already had free WiFi. Until it was replaced by the 'improved' service that you had to pay for.

Since Virgin took over the standard of cleanliness has improved no end, although the cancellations and WiFi have stayed about the same.

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 20 Mar 2017, 18:39

I wouldn't mind putting up with a few empty crisp packets if it meant not shovelling piles of cash in Beardy's direction.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 20 Mar 2017, 22:07

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 20 Mar 2017, 22:26

You're trying to kill Yomp
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Return to “Nextdoorland”