You need a sledgehammer to the face
28%
Maybe, maybe not
32%

Total votes: 25

Rayge

Re: Peter Gabriel solo is vastly superior to Genesis

Postby Rayge » 18 Mar 2017, 22:40

I'm more familiar with the aromas of pig and cow, but I wasn't trying to equate either evacuation with a human equivalent, just pointing out that A being far superior to b doesn't mean they're not both shit.
As it happens, I have heard a few tracks by Gabriel I quite like, while what little Genesis (any fucking period, it's all wank) I have failed to avoid has always struck me as horrible. I think on a day when a true giant of records has died, I've contemplated these insignificant twat-berries long enough.
Progression my arse.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 18 Mar 2017, 22:48

I'm by no means a huge fan of Gabriel, but as you (basically) say, he is listenable compared to Genesis.

Sorry if you are down about Berry. Not many of us are lucky enough to make it to 90.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Mar 2017, 23:21

Oh I'm fine Noz. Chuckles made more great records than the whole prog genre squared, but not so much in the last 40 years. I'm not cut up about his dying (apart from its moving me one closer to the exit door), just (used to be) angry about how a load of public schoolboys and classical wannabees created a whole genre that was supposed to be a grown-up version of rock & roll and turned out to be a thoroughly contemptible thanatophilic festival for the pusillanimous and fearful.
Incidentally, in the 90s, the Mrs and I were very friendly with a guy called Geoffrey who ran a heating and design business in Bath called Bisque. He rented a warehouse/workshop or something at a nearby small town called Box, where he was neighbours with Mr Gabriel, who I believe had a studio there. While I never met nor even saw him, Geoffrey reported back that he was a thoroughly decent, amenable fellow and excellent company, not at all given when off-stage to dressing like a daisy, playing with plasticine or gibbering about lawnmowers.

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

algroth

Postby algroth » 18 Mar 2017, 23:29

Personally I see prog and post-punk as the two biggest pillars to why today I still listen to rock at all. Accuse me of having a tin ear all you want, but I haven't felt the pull to listen to Berry or any rock n' roller for years now, whereas I still go back to Genesis with some regularity. Must be doing something right at least.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 18 Mar 2017, 23:46

As far as I know, no one from Genesis has secretly videotaped women in the restroom, so they have that going for them.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Mar 2017, 23:46

I'm not accusing you of anything Al. I know you have different taste to me (in film as well as music). Many people do, apparently :), even those who don't come, as you do, from a completely different generation, culture, continent and language group.
I long ago gave up – if I ever really tried – wining people over to my point of view, but that still doesn't stop me flexing my polysyllables every now and then to express it. Nothing remotely personal.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 18 Mar 2017, 23:50

PresMuffley wrote:As far as I know, no one from Genesis has secretly videotaped women in the restroom, so they have that going for them.

Nah, as far as I know their only crimes have been against ears.
But this old man is going to have a few bongs and go to bed now, so I'll leave you to your frolics.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 18 Mar 2017, 23:57

gabriel's solo career is not vastly superior to genesis. but i don't think you need to take a sledgehammer to the head. maybe getting beaten about the face and neck with a dancing chicken would be more appropriate.

i do dig a lot of solo gabriel. i just don't actually listen to it much anymore. i listen to genesis regularly.

as for the predictable anti-prog branch of BCB chiming in, more power to you, whilst you bite my ass. any wholesale shitting upon a genre has only ever looked mindlessly mindless to me. in fact, i will play both genesis and chuck berry this night. it'll lead to such interesting... dance moves.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 19 Mar 2017, 00:03

You never can tell me where my country lies.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 19 Mar 2017, 00:18

Hugh wrote:You never can tell me where my country lies.

it lies with me, cried the lil queenie of maybe...

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 19 Mar 2017, 00:23

kath wrote:
Hugh wrote:You never can tell me where my country lies.

it lies with me, cried the lil queenie of maybe...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 19 Mar 2017, 03:51

Jeemo wrote:
I saw the back to front tour, and it was average at best. Any momentum in the show was halted after every song as they had to rearrange the lights and onstage roadies before the next song.

I was a huge Gabriel fan growing up. Now I'd struggle to walk across the road to see him.

Really I thought the album was not very good but the live show had its moments. I liked the rearrange GAbriel orchestra songs.

Also the So tour was excellent. HOwever, what I'm not agreeing with Gabriel is his fees. Can see me seeing him again I've spent enough on him.

Six String

Postby Six String » 19 Mar 2017, 21:48

Jeemo wrote:An artist that became a slave to technology. Us has its moments but it's too bloody long. He took so long to make Up that it was hopelessly out of date when it came out. The Barry Williams Show about reality TV shows was about 10 years after the fact.

The covers project was turgid stuff.

I saw the back to front tour, and it was average at best. Any momentum in the show was halted after every song as they had to rearrange the lights and onstage roadies before the next song.

I was a huge Gabriel fan growing up. Now I'd struggle to walk across the road to see him.

This.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Yakety Yak”