Return of the RECENT VIEWING

..and why not?
PresMuffley

Re: Return of the RECENT VIEWING

Postby PresMuffley » 16 Mar 2017, 06:44

Matt Wilson wrote:Image
My Own Private Idaho

Not a great picture but I've always liked it. Probably River Phoenix's best performance and the Shakespeare motif is interesting. The B-52s song does not make an appearance, however.

No. That would be Running on Empty opposite the equally wonderful Martha Plimpton.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 16 Mar 2017, 06:46

pcqgod wrote:Image

Fail-Safe (1964)

This one was somewhat disappointing after hearing about how great this movie was since I was a boy -- even my dad was a fan. The premise of a mechanical goof sending a flight of bombers to Russia is gripping, but the set-up is filled with so many improbabilities and contrivances it seemed more like a long "Twilight Zone" episode, complete with the moralizing at the end, than a realistic international thriller. Still, it has its moments.

Yeah, I was bummed by that one. Total snoozefest.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 16 Mar 2017, 14:43

PresMuffley wrote: No. That would be Running on Empty opposite the equally wonderful Martha Plimpton.

Saw that back in the eighties, barely remember it. His only nominated performance.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 16 Mar 2017, 16:00

I LOL-ed. It's really pretty hilarious, in fact, although it drags in places and isn't quite as fresh as its predecessor (because it can't really transcend its own self-imposed limitations that come with the territory of being in the superhero genre, even if it is a send-up). Fun for the whole family, even though it feels kind of like a stoner comedy. Will Arnett is outstanding.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Schiz-Ke-Bab

Postby Schiz-Ke-Bab » 16 Mar 2017, 17:29

Last edited by Schiz-Ke-Bab on 16 Mar 2017, 18:36, edited 1 time in total.
"And today I ain't sellin' any... so take your flunky and dangle."

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 16 Mar 2017, 18:16

Schiz-Ke-Bab wrote:Image

I don't think imdb's images work here. Does that site even have a purpose anymore?
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Schiz-Ke-Bab

Postby Schiz-Ke-Bab » 16 Mar 2017, 18:35

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Schiz-Ke-Bab wrote:Image

I don't think imdb's images work here. Does that site even have a purpose anymore?

Oh, is it not showing up on your end? I'll edit and try another link.

As for the IMDb, hell no, they have no purpose at all.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 16 Mar 2017, 19:05

PresMuffley wrote:
pcqgod wrote:Image

Fail-Safe (1964)

This one was somewhat disappointing after hearing about how great this movie was since I was a boy -- even my dad was a fan. The premise of a mechanical goof sending a flight of bombers to Russia is gripping, but the set-up is filled with so many improbabilities and contrivances it seemed more like a long "Twilight Zone" episode, complete with the moralizing at the end, than a realistic international thriller. Still, it has its moments.

Yeah, I was bummed by that one. Total snoozefest.

Oh , just me likes it then.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 16 Mar 2017, 19:07

Goat Boy wrote:Image

It's an odd movie. Like a Hollywood attempt at a European art house flick with pulpy undertones (its theme of middle class ennui is right out of european cinema of the time). It bombed on release and presumably including Rock Hudson probably contributed to audiences expectations being wildly unfulfilled but it is great and haunting. There is quality throughout: James Wong Howe superb cinematography, all weird angles and extreme, slightly grotesque closes up brilliantly accentuates the disorienting weirdness of the story; Rock Hudson is excellent as the middle aged man presented with a second chance at life and Will Greer is marvelously contained as the ruthless owner of the "company"; Jerry Goldsmiths score is terrific; Saul Bass' intro is superb and the ending is one of the great downer endings in film. Highly recommended

I would love to see this , where did you get your copy Dougie ?
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 17 Mar 2017, 10:07

Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

algroth

Postby algroth » 17 Mar 2017, 10:27

Depending on what region you're at there are also Eureka and Criterion editions available.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 17 Mar 2017, 14:30

La La Land - one of the best movies ever made. I truly loved it! The themes were clear and there were many: romantic love, of course, but also history, integrity, nostalgia, ambitions, disappointment, heartlessness, show business, not to mention how wonderfully crafted the whole thing is. Yes, indeed … five stars.
Question authority.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 17 Mar 2017, 20:50

As far as zombie horror comedies go, it's pretty much close to the bottom of the pile.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 18 Mar 2017, 09:16

Watched a few movies while flying, a few pot boilers. Latest Jack Reacher, Inferno, and a few other big budget pieces of fluff.

I also watched Manchester by The Sea, it's ok. But why the big hype. The most emotional parts in the movie were where they used classical music. Which was completely out of place.

And an Oscar for looking at your shoes, saying nothing and punching guys in bars. Haven't seen Fences yet but no wonder Denzil was fizzing.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 19 Mar 2017, 20:20

I tend to think the original is fondly remembered, rather than actually being particularly funny or well-written, so I didn't have much in the way of expectations for this. I think it's probably quite a bit sharper, funnier, and has more of an edge to it than the original, though it loses its way when it actually has to start doing the blockbuster film thing and having lots of whizzy CGI. Still, quite good.

Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk

Postby Matt Wilson » 20 Mar 2017, 02:19

Colors

Dennis Hopper directed this and I've always liked it. I had no idea in 1988, when I first saw it, that I would be working as a teacher in South Central in the same neighborhoods where this was filmed (well, not really, but damn close). It's neither Duvall's nor Penn's best performance but it seems real enough. The bangers say "homes" too much (or maybe they did that in the eighties, I don't know), and some of the dialogue seems a bit too Hollywood, but the feel is there. This was the first LA gang movie I can remember. There would be many more.

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 20 Mar 2017, 08:38

Matt Wilson wrote:
PresMuffley wrote: No. That would be Running on Empty opposite the equally wonderful Martha Plimpton.

Saw that back in the eighties, barely remember it. His only nominated performance.

Sounds like it's time to revisit. They were a couple in real life at the time which brings a level of authenticity to their film relationship that is rare. The entire cast is great, though. I'm almost certain you'll enjoy.

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 20 Mar 2017, 15:07

Trumbo (2015)

Fascinating and entertaining story of the blacklisted screenwriter's attempts to keep his writing career afloat during the red scare years. Typically great performances from the excellent cast.

Vice (2015)

The premise to 'Vice' is in every respect identical to that of HBO's "Westworld" television series, except for the "West" part. Identical! The story derived from that premise seems mainly to be running around and intermittent gunfire, so kind of a blown opportunity.

Logan (2017)

This movie is fairly entertaining as a pure action/adventure kind of thing. The story is terribly bleak, I think, and kind of falls into that "Dark Knight Returns" pattern of an aging superhero having his final hurrah at a time when all his former enemies and allies are dead or retired and a new generation of hero is set to take over. The film makers take advantage of the R rating and for the first time we truly see Wolverine mess up people with his claws (which can be kind of horrifying, actually) and the "hard" language seemed a little overdone. I figure this is the kind of movie that people into dark/violent comics will immediately proclaim an "important film," but personally I always preferred the hopeful philosophy that X-Men comics and movies have always espoused. This movie effectively ends the X-Men series, but clearly it is just one more soft reboot away from another revival.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Mar 2017, 16:16

Apologies for the cribbed review.

Made in 1969, the same year The Rolling Stones' Altamont concert illustrated the dark undercurrent beneath the utopian dreams of the '60s, Coming Apart is a moody drama about a married psychoanalyst (Rip Torn) who rents out an apartment for his various indiscretions. There, Torn installs a secret camera to record moments from his life, and the film is presented as footage taken from that camera. At first, the camera is used for conventional, voyeuristic purposes, but as his mental health and composure decline, the camera (and by extension, the film) betrays Torn's overtly masochistic desire for self-incrimination.

Coming Apart's secret-camera gimmick proves tremendously limiting, but it's also an audacious stylistic choice that lends the film a harrowing, claustrophobic intensity that can be almost unbearable. Written and directed by Milton Moses Ginsberg (whose only other film as a director is the less-than-revered Werewolf Of Washington), Coming Apart derives much of its dramatic and narrative tension from the power imbalances that epitomize Torn's relationships. Many of his lovers (whose ranks include Sally Kirkland) share a mile-wide masochistic streak, and while Torn starts out in control, his authority gradually dissipates as he lurches toward madness.

Very much a product of its time—and essentially unseen since its brief original New York run—Coming Apart has a lot to recommend it. Torn gives a bravura lead performance, the use of original music is effective and creepy, and the sex scenes are painfully, uncomfortably intimate, far closer to real life than the bloodless abstractions offered by most Hollywood films. At the same time, Ginsberg relies too heavily on the claustrophobic power of his central gimmick, as well as Torn's formidable presence, to compensate for the shakiness of his uneven and sometimes embarassing dialogue. Coming Apart is harrowing and disconcertingly original, if self-indulgent and formless. A noble, if not entirely successful, experiment that promises more than it can deliver, it's a fascinating, frustrating time capsule that too often lapses into tedium.

http://www.avclub.com/review/coming-apart-19921
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Schiz-Ke-Bab

Postby Schiz-Ke-Bab » 20 Mar 2017, 17:13

Return to “Screenadelica”