How honest are you when talking music...

Do talk back
fange
100% fangetastic

How honest are you when talking music...

Postby fange » 15 Mar 2017, 14:29

..with the people around you in your everyday life?

Do you smile and nod and say "Oh yeah, it's nice" when your colleague, relative or friend plays you Ed Sheeren's latest single, for example, or if you think it stinks, do you follow the policy of truth and tell them "Well, i think it's actually pretty bad."

What things do you take into consideration when deciding how honsst to be?

Any funny or embarrassing stories about times you have or haven't been honest musically?
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: How honest are you when talking music...

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Mar 2017, 14:35

I am always honest and forthright but depending on the audience I will adjust my ire. It's a funny thing because generally people don't have the same kind of passion about this stuff so you do sometimes find yourself ranting like a madman. From the other side it must look weird but what you gonna do? It means something, you know?

I remember a mate declaring that The Bends by Radiohead had to be one of the greatest albums ever made to which I replied "bollocks!" and just to prove how much bollocks it was I said "I can name 100 better albums". So I did. Like I actually got a pen and paper and started listing albums furiously. I was only 18. I've matured...a bit.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 15 Mar 2017, 14:38

I mostly try to avoid human contact, not because I don't like people, but just because they tend to bore me. My closest friend is a double bassist who loves Joni Mitchell and a lot of modern jazz. I don't care for either. He knows this. Why would I not be honest? Seems a bit pointless to have a relationship with someone if you have to tiptoe around something as trivial as personal taste in music.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Mar 2017, 14:52

I work in a record store and have learned that it's generally best to keep my mouth shut when someone is buying or asking about something I hate, unless they really press the issue (which some insist on doing, for some reason). It isn't just that it's not a good idea to offend customers (or hurt their feelings) - it's that the arguments can be almost as irritating and frustrating as actually listening to their crap music.

Among friends I tend to be more forthcoming, but try to not be a blowhard.
Last edited by Charlie O. on 15 Mar 2017, 16:28, edited 1 time in total.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 15 Mar 2017, 14:53

I'm the same level of honest I am about politics and abortion, which is to say, I don't compromise my position on things, but I don't verbally castigate anyone for holding different views on things unless I find their views to be utterly repugnant.
--m.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Mar 2017, 14:57

martha wrote:I'm the same level of honest I am about politics and abortion, which is to say, I don't compromise my position on things, but I don't verbally castigate anyone for holding different views on things unless I find their views to be utterly repugnant.

Like being an Ed Sheeran fan?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Mar 2017, 15:45

Goat Boy wrote:I am always honest and forthright but depending on the audience I will adjust my ire. It's a funny thing because generally people don't have the same kind of passion about this stuff so you do sometimes find yourself ranting like a madman. From the other side it must look weird but what you gonna do? It means something, you know?

I remember a mate declaring that The Bends by Radiohead had to be one of the greatest albums ever made to which I replied "bollocks!" and just to prove how much bollocks it was I said "I can name 100 better albums". So I did. Like I actually got a pen and paper and started listing albums furiously. I was only 18. I've matured...a bit.

I've just had this happen to me a few times lately with women even though I warn them, "I don't know if you want to go there."

It usually starts wit feigned interest, then a disengaged, faraway glazed look that becomes darting eyes looking to strangers with a trapped, desperate yearning that silently screams, "Someone save me, please."

And I thought it was an interesting topic on how the Ramones chose their name.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 Mar 2017, 20:58

I'd really just rather not have conversations about music these days, it rarely ends well. I mean, if it comes to chart/radio friendly music, I'll offer my opinion in that context, and rarely point out that it's utter shit, unless it's utter shit even in that cack context. Lukas Graham's abysmally trite "7 Years" for instance, or Rihanna's plain abysmal repetition-fest "Work". Having a son means I'm subjected to this stuff daily. The conversations I try and avoid more, are the "oh, so what do you listen to then?", which I've yet to work out a satisfactory answer for, or even worse, someone who says "I like a little bit of everything", and can't think of a single black metal or free-jazz artist. You just can't have those conversations without sounding like a twat. Or perhaps I am just a twat.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Mar 2017, 21:11

Oh, I'm definitely a twat. I'm comfortable with that though.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 15 Mar 2017, 21:16

I'm similar to Goat Boy, but I'd like to ask you all a question that I think is related: how often do people ask you about music anyway? It might be because I live abroad and I'm usually around students or expats who I like but rarely have much in common with, but nobody ever asks what I'm in to. It's just something that doesn't seem to come up.

I always walk into work or where I'm studying with my headphones on (or I'm just taking them off) and NOT ONCE has anyone asked me 'what are you listening to?'. Really, not once. And I always ask others that same question. It puzzles me and it annoys me sometimes. Maybe they just don't want to be bored by the answer :)
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 15 Mar 2017, 21:28

What the fuck kind of name is "Ed Sheeran" for a pop star?
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 15 Mar 2017, 22:53

I find not saying anything at all is best. If pushed, I just say ""I've never really heard him/her/them" which is genuinely the case with a lot of the big acts these days. I'd rather they just think I'm out of touch with Ed S or the 1975 or Chainsmokers or whatever. However, it gets more difficult when folk find out you're into music and the bang on about seeing the Levellers in a pub years ago or getting front row tickets to Muse or Stereophonics. Then I just need to say they're not my bag. I only know 2 people I can have an honest and informed conversation about music with.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 15 Mar 2017, 23:26

My brother in law for some reason loves house music. Thump thump thump. He plays no other type. It's pathological. My brother in law also always has the best weed. Once I told him that I couldn't stand his taste in music. Now he plays it louder. He's still generous with his weed.
Question authority.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 16 Mar 2017, 00:06

OH wrote:I'm similar to Goat Boy, but I'd like to ask you all a question that I think is related: how often do people ask you about music anyway? It might be because I live abroad and I'm usually around students or expats who I like but rarely have much in common with, but nobody ever asks what I'm in to. It's just something that doesn't seem to come up.

I always walk into work or where I'm studying with my headphones on (or I'm just taking them off) and NOT ONCE has anyone asked me 'what are you listening to?'. Really, not once. And I always ask others that same question. It puzzles me and it annoys me sometimes. Maybe they just don't want to be bored by the answer :)

When i arrive at school i often get asked by students what i'm listening to on my earphones! Almost every day. Sorry, JC :) They would have no idea of the artists generally, so i'll just say "some rock music" or something like that. Occasionally they ask to listen to one of the earbuds themselves, but only the braver ones do that.

I don't get asked about music that often in general, but the original post was prompted by something that happened to me the other week that popped into my mind again. I had gone over to speak to another English teacher about something at her desk, and saw that she was listening to a Youtube clip of Extreme's "More Than Words" on her computer.

As i'd noticed the song on the screen, she asked me with a smile "Oh, do you know this song?" You know that scene from some of the Warner Bros. cartoons, where the character suddenly has the angel on one shoulder and the devil on the other? Well, that me - do i say "Oh yes, and i REALLY don't like that song!", or do I something nice or at least non-committal. The smile of her face swayed me though, so i went non-committal and just said something like "Yes, it's a very famous song, and it was a big hit in Australia too." Turns out that was a smart move, because she then went on to say "Oh, i really love it. I am using it in my wedding next month!" I'm not sure how she would have taken it if i'd been honest, just turned up my lip and said "Oh i hate it, it's horrible."
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

PresMuffley

Postby PresMuffley » 16 Mar 2017, 00:10

Jimbo wrote:My brother in law for some reason loves house music. Thump thump thump. He plays no other type. It's pathological. My brother in law also always has the best weed. Once I told him that I couldn't stand his taste in music. Now he plays it louder. He's still generous with his weed.

Is this the same fella that was condemning his young daughter for... how did you say it... showing a bit of tit top?
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 16 Mar 2017, 01:57

ha we talk music with just about anyone. Try to find something they like and talk then artist up someway. I've hung around musicians and artist most of my life so music is a common bond. Since 2000 when we was introduced to a lot of music industry people we talked music all the time. Differences are fine but you do get the oh my your one of those guys. Although I like to think I influenced something from steering musicians to listen to other stuff to telling younger music writers they were listening to the wrong albums from the 50-70's.

The last couple of years I tend to lead all conversations to music (ok not all). was in a tourist bar (don't ask why) and started talking to these guys from Australia before long we were talking Australian bands. I named more then them.

Yes you do get the people who listen to crap but then you just change the subject there is nothing to talk about musically but do try.

Ed Sheeran fans - sure I can tell them I saw him in VIP section a few years ago. hahaha

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 16 Mar 2017, 05:15

Depends on whether I'm asked. If it's a friend's (or a friend's favorite) project, I may go with "hmmm...interesting." or "I see the appeal, but it's not really for me." Back when I was writing reviews, I'd try to find something worthwhile, but then be specific about what I find lacking ("all those slow songs in the same key can get a little boring."
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Davey the Fat Boy

Postby Davey the Fat Boy » 16 Mar 2017, 14:12

Depends on who I'm talking to and how close we are. If it's someone I trust to be able to handle the disagreement...I'll let it fly. With everyone else...I'll generally lie indiscriminately.
“Remember I have said good things about benevolent despots before.” - Jimbo

joels344

Postby joels344 » 16 Mar 2017, 14:23

I avoid music discussions in everyday life. This will sound snobby, but I find it difficult to talk music with causal fans. They'll be talking about favorite Beatles albums or the Imagine Dragons album that I have zero interest in. Most discussions end with them having no idea who I'm talking about or acting like I'm insane for liking such 'obscure artists that nobody likes or knows about." Which is why I save music conversations for this forum, RYM, and the What'sApp.
90s Cup Champion, The Prog Cup 2019 Champion

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Mar 2017, 14:27

OH wrote:I'm similar to Goat Boy, but I'd like to ask you all a question that I think is related: how often do people ask you about music anyway? It might be because I live abroad and I'm usually around students or expats who I like but rarely have much in common with, but nobody ever asks what I'm in to. It's just something that doesn't seem to come up.

A lass asked me at work the other week but it is rare. When I was on the operating table the other day the wifie asked me what kind of music I was into and we ended up talking about Genesis whilst I was being cut open! :lol: Her favourite album was Lamb. She also asked me what acid house for some reason was and I tried to explain it to her. It was kind of an odd conversation to be having at that moment but I liked that.

The thing is even people who like music don't necessarily like talking about it and many people are reticent about offering particularly strong opinions about all kinds of things, let alone something as personal as music. It's frustrating but pretty common in my experience. It's why I ended up on Mojo all those years ago

Return to “Yakety Yak”