The BCB runners and walkers corner

Fitba' crazy, fitba' mad. But mostly mad. And angry
Hightea

Re: The BCB runners and walkers corner

Postby Hightea » 02 Dec 2016, 04:53

thanks
I actually did 2 this year after not doing one in over 15 years. Just moved on to other things and knew I could never done #1 Denali (when I climbed Mt Rainer there was a chance to climb Denali). There are still plenty of easy ones maybe I'll do a few more. The new challenge has been completing the New York Section of the Appalachian Trail, I've done most of it over the years as I live in the area but never did several parts. So this spring and fall I wrapped up big sections. I'm now 12 miles from the Connecticut border.

Took this a few weeks ago. NY State on the AT.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 02 Dec 2016, 06:37

Lovely pictures, Hightea!
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

Six String

Postby Six String » 11 Jan 2017, 22:27

Yes, fantastic photos Hightea.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 17 Jan 2017, 00:26

I was going to post a few pics from my Christmas/New Year holiday hikes which I've put on FB but haven't got round to posting here yet. I'll try and do so later.

Meanwhile here's a youtube compilation a friend posted of some footage/pics (including many of mine) from a hike last week up a very difficult and steep route. It includes a rather unflattering picture of me traversing a rock outcrop that I'd rather hadn't been included :) .

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Jan 2017, 11:28

As promised a few nice photos I posted on facebook for the benefit of those that don't do FB.

Sharp Peak in the relatively isolated far North Eastern corner of Hong Kong on Boxing Day

me finding enlightenment :lol: :

Kowloon Peak and Lion Rock sunset after New Years Day (Fange was invited to come but couldn't make it):
My companion on Kowloon Peak....always much braver than me (I refused to go so close to the edge :oops: ).

Lion Rock sunset:

70km Lantau Trail in early January that four of us did as a farewell hike for the big guy on the right who was leaving HK:

Six String

Postby Six String » 07 Feb 2017, 03:26

Fairy tale land. Beautiful pictures as always and congratulations.
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 07 Feb 2017, 04:23

^^Yep, fantastic pics Ray!

In good news for me, the cancelled UN*CEF HK charity run has finally been rescheduled and announced!

It's going to be on March 19th - fingers crossed the weather is good this time. So just under 6 weeks left!
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 08 Feb 2017, 22:49

Good news Ange....back to the training in anger.

I have a short fun race this coming Saturday, The Lantau Valentines Race. It's about 13 to 14km with 850m ascent. I did it in 2hr 40 mins at brisk walking speed last Saturday in training but my partner for the race now informs me we are running the first hour! :o

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 09 Feb 2017, 00:03

trans-chigley express wrote:Good news Ange....back to the training in anger.

I have a short fun race this coming Saturday, The Lantau Valentines Race. It's about 13 to 14km with 850m ascent. I did it in 2hr 40 mins at brisk walking speed last Saturday in training but my partner for the race now informs me we are running the first hour! :o

:) Lift those knees Ray! Good luck!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 10 Feb 2017, 14:28

trans-chigley express wrote:As promised a few nice photos I posted on facebook for the benefit of those that don't do FB.

Sharp Peak in the relatively isolated far North Eastern corner of Hong Kong on Boxing Day

me finding enlightenment :lol: :

Kowloon Peak and Lion Rock sunset after New Years Day (Fange was invited to come but couldn't make it):
My companion on Kowloon Peak....always much braver than me (I refused to go so close to the edge :oops: ).

Lion Rock sunset:

70km Lantau Trail in early January that four of us did as a farewell hike for the big guy on the right who was leaving HK:

wow, just wow
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 12 Feb 2017, 11:57

Valentines Race completed successfully yesterday. 14km and 850m ascent in 2hr 39mins but should have been 20 mins faster if I hadn't got cramp near the end. Had to stop and massage my legs and could only limp to the finish. My super fit race partner pushed me too hard. Great fun though.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 12 Feb 2017, 12:42

Fantastic! Well done and great photos.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 12 Feb 2017, 14:55

Shame about the cramp, but well done, Ray!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 17 Feb 2017, 13:38

After stopping smoking and drinking, I've started running again. My complex has a nice gym so I started using the treadmill to save the knees. Started out slow, but now running a 9 minute mile for three miles after a week. The first run, I forgot to cool down and could feel the lactic acid build up the next morning. Now I do a cool down and am stretching more and the pain all gone. Just stopping the drinking, I dropped 15 lbs, but with the running, I've dropped five more.

At one point, I thought I'd never stopped being a runner, but then all the shit with the divorce and taking care of my dad came about so I stopped. I want to get back to where I can play full court hoops, which is the same reason I started running all those years ago.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 25 Feb 2017, 23:34

sloopjohnc wrote:After stopping smoking and drinking, I've started running again. My complex has a nice gym so I started using the treadmill to save the knees. Started out slow, but now running a 9 minute mile for three miles after a week. The first run, I forgot to cool down and could feel the lactic acid build up the next morning. Now I do a cool down and am stretching more and the pain all gone. Just stopping the drinking, I dropped 15 lbs, but with the running, I've dropped five more.

20 lbs sounds like a lot of weight to lose, are you a big guy? I know a guy I hiked with who lost 25kg (55lb) and he's still pretty big so he must have been huge. I never knew him as his previous weight but others tell me he was pretty obese. Well done at losing that weight and hope you keep it up and, yes, the stretching and cooling down is really important.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Feb 2017, 16:24

trans-chigley express wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:After stopping smoking and drinking, I've started running again. My complex has a nice gym so I started using the treadmill to save the knees. Started out slow, but now running a 9 minute mile for three miles after a week. The first run, I forgot to cool down and could feel the lactic acid build up the next morning. Now I do a cool down and am stretching more and the pain all gone. Just stopping the drinking, I dropped 15 lbs, but with the running, I've dropped five more.

20 lbs sounds like a lot of weight to lose, are you a big guy? I know a guy I hiked with who lost 25kg (55lb) and he's still pretty big so he must have been huge. I never knew him as his previous weight but others tell me he was pretty obese. Well done at losing that weight and hope you keep it up and, yes, the stretching and cooling down is really important.

5' 11", 210 to 215 lbs at the time. Now about 190. It went fast.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 01 Mar 2017, 04:10

sloopjohnc wrote:
5' 11", 210 to 215 lbs at the time. Now about 190. It went fast.

I'm 5' 9" and 135 lbs. I need to put weight on :lol:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 01 Mar 2017, 05:07

Stop walking so much!! :lol:

At one point, I thought I'd never stopped being a runner, but then all the shit with the divorce and taking care of my dad came about so I stopped. I want to get back to where I can play full court hoops, which is the same reason I started running all those years ago.

Good man, sloop. Sounds a lot like me - i'm not really a runner, not deep down. I'll run to keep keep fit and keep my endorphin levels up, and i'll do a long-distance like the 10K now to challenge myself, but it's all about staying in the proper shape to play soccer, Aussie rules footy, tennis, squash et al. the way i want to.
Great job losing all that weight and hope you can keep it off. Kicking the booze will definitely help.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 06 Mar 2017, 09:33

Just under a week to go, and feeling ok physically so far. A couple of little aches in the feet but nothing big. Hope to do some running every day for the next 10 days to put in a last solid block of training, before easing off for the last 2-3 days.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

fange
100% fangetastic

Postby fange » 12 Mar 2017, 14:04

One week to go.

Been running almost every day, hopefully the weather doesn't get too wet or cold in the week ahead so i can get a last solid block of training in. Working everyday this week, so will have to do my runs at about 8.30 ~9 pm after i've done all work and family stuff.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Return to “Sporting Life”