The bumper thread of Neue Deutsche Welle stuff

Do talk back
Darkness_Fish

The bumper thread of Neue Deutsche Welle stuff

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Feb 2017, 14:00

I gather most people rather regard German music as existing from 1969 to about 1976, and Kraftwerk. But no, once those crafty teutonic types had revolutionised rock by making it cool to listen to prog so long as it was in a foreign language, they also went on to revolutionise both pop and post-punk, between 1979-1983 ish. But this seemingly never became cool. So the purpose of this thread is to notify the world about what they're missing out on, discuss how the music influenced hoards of great artists, and how Holger Hiller's dress sense will never ever come into fashion. And that's going to start with some youtube videos, and you're all going to pop in and keep this thread going for years. Agreed?

Ok, so we're going to start with some Mania D, because they were one of the earliest groups, and from their ashes came Neubauten, Liaisons Dangereuses, Malaria! and probably more, and featured the great mainstay of the German underground, Gudrun Gut. Not exactly easy going though, I have to admit:

Malaria! however, were much more synth-pop-focussed, and a bit cold-wavey. Give this track past the 40 second mark, and see if you can avoid chin-stroking in time to the beat:

NDW wasn't just a female-fronted thing though, Palais Schaumburg, were one of the leading lights of the genre and brought considerable style and glamour, along with their slightly off-kilter horns and drums:

All of which has so far seemed quiet low-budget and 'esoteric' to say the least. But some bands had a bit of an eye on some kind of commercial success, and Die Krupps Kraftwerkian/Ultravox! stylings were almost big budget sounding in comparison. Later, they took on the world of industrial-metal, and kinda sucked (apart from the ace "Fatherland").

So. Post your personal favourites, add some of the more pop-oriented if you will, that ain't really my bag. But if you don't I'll just bump this thread with more of Holger Hiller's dancing, and no-one wants to see that.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

algroth

Re: The bumper thread of Neue Deutsche Welle stuff

Postby algroth » 14 Feb 2017, 14:06

One of my favorite tracks in the genre (that I've so far listened to):

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Feb 2017, 14:22

I'm out of my depth here. Would 39 Clocks be considered part of this subgenre?

GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Feb 2017, 14:26

I understand German as do most Dutch, Swiss and Austrians.

Is this thread going to be about German synth pop (the real Welle) or will you include Krautrock?
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Feb 2017, 14:30

Snarfyguy wrote:I'm out of my depth here. Would 39 Clocks be considered part of this subgenre?

I wasn't aware of this bunch myself, but that definitely fits the type of thing for this thread. Good track.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Feb 2017, 14:32

Walk In My Shadow wrote:I understand German as do most Dutch, Swiss and Austrians.

Is this thread going to be about German synth pop (the real Welle) or will you include Krautrock?

Nah, NDW only, Krautrock has enough coverage. Doesn't have to be synth-pop, although most of it was heading in that direction.

Sadly, I don't understand German, beyond what I've picked up from stray Neubauten song lyrics. Where are you from?

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Feb 2017, 15:03

Darkness_Fish wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:I understand German as do most Dutch, Swiss and Austrians.

Sadly, I don't understand German, beyond what I've picked up from stray Neubauten song lyrics. Where are you from?

Belgium. We're taught Flemish, French, English and German in school.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Feb 2017, 15:40

Ah, being English, we're 'taught' French, but can only say "je suis un biscuit" and shout slowly in English at Johnny Foreigner.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Feb 2017, 16:17

How about Trio?

They always seemed to me to have one foot in Krautrock and one in a more post-punk direction. They made some good records.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 14 Feb 2017, 16:32

https://youtu.be/fS4NPhnfVSM

Classic music quiz material!

Jeff K
The Original K

Postby Jeff K » 14 Feb 2017, 17:21

Probably not exactly what you're looking for but since this is the closest BCB will come to a Die Haut thread I'll stick it here anyway,,,

the science eel experiment wrote:Jesus Christ can't save BCB, i believe i can.

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 14 Feb 2017, 19:05

I love Die Haut .
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

jimboo

Postby jimboo » 14 Feb 2017, 19:14

Und der plan.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

Schiz-Ke-Bab

Postby Schiz-Ke-Bab » 14 Feb 2017, 20:08

Odd genre and sometimes a bit hard to define. There's several bands I dig often described as N.D.W., but in many cases would better be described as post-punk or otherwise.

Here's a few I enjoy... decide for yourself whether they really are N.D.W. or not.

DAF - Possibly the kings of the genre, yes?

Palais Schaumburg

Malaria! (one of the best bands you introduced me to, Fish)

Die Tanzdiele - the very danceable side of N.D.W.

Die Radierer

Der KFC

Die Tödliche Doris - the more experimental side of N.D.W.?

X-Mal Deutschland - Perhaps a tad more goth than N.D.W.

Rheingold... who also starred in and composed the wonderful score for 'Der Fan' (1982)
Last edited by Schiz-Ke-Bab on 14 Feb 2017, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
"And today I ain't sellin' any... so take your flunky and dangle."

Schiz-Ke-Bab

Postby Schiz-Ke-Bab » 14 Feb 2017, 20:11

Ok, that didn't seem to work. How do I post videos?

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 14 Feb 2017, 20:14

Schiz-Ke-Bab wrote:Ok, that didn't seem to work. How do I post videos?

Find the "equals" sign in the url and then, in between the open and close youtube tags, just copy and paste the characters to the right of it.

For example,

Rheingold... who also starred in and composed the wonderful score for 'Der Fan' (1982)

You can "quote" this post to see what it looks like.

PS - Picnic at Hanging Rock is one of my favorite movies ever. Welcome to the board! :)

Schiz-Ke-Bab

Postby Schiz-Ke-Bab » 14 Feb 2017, 20:25

Snarfyguy wrote:
Schiz-Ke-Bab wrote:Ok, that didn't seem to work. How do I post videos?

Find the "equals" sign in the url and then, in between the open and close youtube tags, just copy and paste the characters to the right of it.

You can "quote" this post to see what it looks like.

PS - Picnic at Hanging Rock is one of my favorite movies ever. Welcome to the board! :)

Thank you kindly, Snarfyguy!

Always good to see another fan of 'Picnic at Hanging Rock' too. I think it's just about the most beautifully filmed piece of celluloid there is.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 Feb 2017, 20:58

I knew I could rely on Schizo to give me some more videos to listen at work tomorrow. :D

I shall return!

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 14 Feb 2017, 22:28

jimboo ™ wrote:Und der plan.

Oh yes:

Or Foyer des Arts:

Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 18 Feb 2017, 22:54

Refusing to let this fall down to the depths of "page 2" just yet, resurrecting it with a band who lasted well into the 2000s, yet finding a copy of an actual album is next to impossible.

Return to “Yakety Yak”