In or out?

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks

Should the UK remain in the European Union?

Yes we should stay in
86%
No we should leave
8%
Abstain
6%

Total votes: 66

Re: In or out?

Postby ... » 18 Jan 2017, 16:54

The Prof wrote:
yomptepi wrote:We are leaving, and unfortunately that was the democratic will of the people

The problem is that "the people" weren't clamouring for a referendum.

Hardly anybody was interested a few short months ago apart from Farage and his cronies and the right of the Tory Party.

So "the people" were forced to make a decision based on lies & misinformation. The vote result showed an underlying mistrust of government and a hint of racism but most people didn't have a clue what they were actually voting for.

In fairness, Prof, the people weren't forced to do anything.

In his desperate attempt to hang on to short-term power, Cameron recklessly gambled with the country's long-term future by offering voters a needless referendum on which the majority of people either weren't given or couldn't be arsed to discover the full facts.

Sadly, the effects of Mr Cameron's stupidity will continue to echo long after large numbers of those who voted to leave will have died.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 18 Jan 2017, 17:14

They might not have been forced at gunpoint but everyone suddenly became experts in matters most of them knew very little (and cared even less) about. and still don't.

"We can make it on our own" "Eurocrats from Brussels are making our laws" etc etc

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 18 Jan 2017, 23:21

fueryIre wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Copehead wrote:Which is quite a brave punt for a Jew.

Thank you.

What will happen with Trump literally remains to be seen. As does my prediction the EU house will fall. Rather than another war and a repeat of the Holocaust, as you imply will happen, maybe there will be justice.

I don't think you need to be the Amazing Kreskin to work out that the EU will sooner rather than later go tits up, J

All things go tits up eventually but the EU has created peace in Europe for my entire life time and for that I am profoundly grateful considering what preceded it.

Morons have been proclaiming the death of the EU ever since the first economic treaty between France and Germany. As long as France and Germany desire to be bound together it will survive and prosper and probably continue to expand.

The UK will be begging to be let back in again within a few years that much is certain, and for exactly the same reasons we begged to be let in in the first place.
Moorcock, Moorcock, Michael Moorcock, you fervently moan.

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 18 Jan 2017, 23:30

yomptepi wrote:
northernsky wrote:
yomptepi wrote:
The only country is Europe to run a budget surplus last year was Germany , which had a 0.1% surplus.

a) not the same thing as bankruptcy;
b) since the UK had a deficit last year of 5.2%, what's your point?

My point is that is that after 40 years, the EU is not providing any sort of economic security, any guarantee of growth, and certainly no guarantees for job security. It has proven to be corrupt at every level. It makes rules, and then only forces certain countries to enforce them, whilst allowing others to openly flaunt , with no attempt to put bring them in line.

But only a liar could provide those guarantees

But I would say the EU has provided growth, economic security and prosperity for much of the time we have been in it.

And we probably wont find out how much any success we have had has been bound up with it until we leave it.

I believe there will be an awful reckoning, I hope it will destroy the Conservative Party for leading us down this route but fear the demagoguery that will takes its place.

This country is going to become a meaner, nastier, poorer and more vicious place.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 18 Jan 2017, 23:35

Geezee wrote:q

Regarding the EU's inability to bridge the gap between the rich and poor across different countries - I agree completely, although I'd also say the same for the UK government (and most governments) over the North-South, Urban/Rural, London vs. Rest of UK etc divides and where the investment generally occurs, quality of health services etc.

But the EU has bridged the gap between rich and poor as anyone who knows the first thing a about countries like Spain, Italy, Greece and Poland in the 1970s and those countries today couldn't help but attest.

Greece is a basket case but a far more modern and well set up country than it was under the generals.

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 18 Jan 2017, 23:36

yomptepi wrote:
Geezee wrote:I don't know where the 7m figure comes from

http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics ... statistics

My work here is done

Adios! people

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 18 Jan 2017, 23:45

yomptepi wrote:
I don't have any worries about migration. I have worries about housing, services and welfare. I worry about the numbers of people, not where they come from.

But conflate away.

A very good point

If you were Jimbo you'd wonder if the infrastructure wasn't put in place to deal with what, even by 20th century standards, isn't unprecedented numbers of people coming here on purpose to create an angry population who could be manipulated into voting for their continued impoverishment and the destruction of the services they rely on for profit.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 19 Jan 2017, 10:59

Copehead wrote:a As long as France and Germany desire to be bound together it will survive and prosper and probably continue to expand.

How will it expand? I mean, no-one is going to let in Turkey right now are they?

As much I believe in the idea of the EU and want it to succeed, I think it has reached its zenith in terms of its size at least. The migration crisis (and it is undoubtedly that) has winded it pretty badly and the next problem is Italy, which is not only going to have a change of government, it is also going to have a dreadful crisis in its banking sector pretty soon.

You are misguided if you think that the EU is going to continue to prosper with Britain's exit. The union is walking on eggshells and I'd be surprised if it is in its current form in less than 5 years, particularly with the frequency of terrorist attacks in France and Germany right now. I would hope that in the future the EU recognises the need for change and that a new agreement of some sorts is put together. There is no doubt that freedom of movement has produced unexpected issues that could destroy the Union.

The fact that France's leader used the language of violence (making them pay) to describe what happens to Britain sends a massive signal - that countries are bound to the EU by fear. What sort of organisation uses fear to tell countries what will happen if they leave?

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 19 Jan 2017, 14:55

yomptepi wrote:I worry about the numbers of people, not where they come from.

I don't doubt it. And doing so conflates one issue, total migration, with another, refugees.

yomptepi wrote:You say Sweden has been hit hard taking up the slack during the refugee crisis. Great Britain has has over 7 million migrants in the last ten years. Hardly shirking our responsibilities.

Where people come from may not matter to you, but it likely matters very much to them. Because it is intimately bound up with whether they had arrived in search of chronically better economic circumstances or because they were under acute risk of death. Hence a host country may have accepted 7 (or whatever) million migrants and yet "shirk its responsibility" in the face of a humanitarian crisis.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Jan 2017, 16:22

Toby wrote:The fact that France's leader used the language of violence (making them pay) to describe what happens to Britain sends a massive signal - that countries are bound to the EU by fear. What sort of organisation uses fear to tell countries what will happen if they leave?

One that is trying to sell the advantages to those members staying in?

I'm a little surprised that Johnson and others are surprised by the EU's reaction to us leaving - what did we expect, a "Thanks" and "Call again when it suits?".

We all know why May is now saying we're going to have a hard Brexit - it's fuck all to do with her or her Govt. It's what the EU told us - by all means leave but don't you dare expect special privileges. And fair play to them, to be honest. I'm sure that, had another State done what we have, we'd be saying exactly the same to them. Indeed, I'd suggest we'd be one of the most vociferous proponents of that approach.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 19 Jan 2017, 17:36

Diamond Dog wrote:

We all know why May is now saying we're going to have a hard Brexit - it's fuck all to do with her or her Govt. It's what the EU told us - by all means leave but don't you dare expect special privileges. And fair play to them, to be honest. I'm sure that, had another State done what we have, we'd be saying exactly the same to them. Indeed, I'd suggest we'd be one of the most vociferous proponents of that approach.

Or like Scotland leaving the UK, say?
Oh, you wanna use our currency? Fuck you. Pay me.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5ydqjqZ_3oc

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Jan 2017, 19:13

Indeed.
Cocaine

copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby copehead » 20 Jan 2017, 03:32

Toby wrote:
Copehead wrote:a As long as France and Germany desire to be bound together it will survive and prosper and probably continue to expand.

How will it expand? I mean, no-one is going to let in Turkey right now are they?

As much I believe in the idea of the EU and want it to succeed, I think it has reached its zenith in terms of its size at least. The migration crisis (and it is undoubtedly that) has winded it pretty badly and the next problem is Italy, which is not only going to have a change of government, it is also going to have a dreadful crisis in its banking sector pretty soon.

You are misguided if you think that the EU is going to continue to prosper with Britain's exit. The union is walking on eggshells and I'd be surprised if it is in its current form in less than 5 years, particularly with the frequency of terrorist attacks in France and Germany right now. I would hope that in the future the EU recognises the need for change and that a new agreement of some sorts is put together. There is no doubt that freedom of movement has produced unexpected issues that could destroy the Union.

The fact that France's leader used the language of violence (making them pay) to describe what happens to Britain sends a massive signal - that countries are bound to the EU by fear. What sort of organisation uses fear to tell countries what will happen if they leave?

As I said the union will continue as long as Germany and France wish to be bound together, anyone who thinks anything else knows fuck all about the politics of those two countries in the late 20th century through to today.

Sorry Toby but you are just regurgitating Daily Mail editorials again.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jan 2017, 09:42

Only Parliament can trigger Article 50, not Government - says The UK's Supreme Court.

Ha ha

Wankers.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 24 Jan 2017, 09:48

Diamond Dog wrote:Only Parliament can trigger Article 50, not Government - says The UK's Supreme Court.

Ha ha

Wankers.

Current estimates put the majority in Parliament for triggering Article 50 at about 500 to 150.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jan 2017, 09:50

It may well be. That's not my point. My point is the Govt doesn't dictate, Parliament votes.
Cocaine

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 24 Jan 2017, 10:01

Diamond Dog wrote:It may well be. That's not my point. My point is the Govt doesn't dictate, Parliament votes.

And parliament could make stipulations - Corbyn has said that Labour will try to amend any act to safeguard the economy. On the downside, the judges ruled that devolved administrations do not need to be consulted which will piss off a lot of people north of the border in Scotland and Ireland.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 24 Jan 2017, 11:49

Toby wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:Only Parliament can trigger Article 50, not Government - says The UK's Supreme Court.

Ha ha

Wankers.

Current estimates put the majority in Parliament for triggering Article 50 at about 500 to 150.

The majority is 7 million.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jan 2017, 13:04

Okay you've got me - which majority is 7 million, Geezee?
Cocaine

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 24 Jan 2017, 14:12

Diamond Dog wrote:Okay you've got me - which majority is 7 million, Geezee?

7 million is the answer to everything these days, isn't it?
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Return to “Nextdoorland”