Yes
24%
No
76%

Total votes: 17

Dr Markus

Anyone Give A Shite About Celebrating The New Year

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Dec 2016, 15:43

I've no plans, I'm just gonna see what happens if my friends head out or not.

You?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

borofan

Re: Anyone Give A Shite About Celebrating The New Year

Postby borofan » 30 Dec 2016, 15:51

Treat it like a normal Saturday night. Match Of The Day then bed.
We're usually skipping around the function room in our long-johns by now...

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 30 Dec 2016, 15:53

Not going out for it but I'm staying awake for this one. 2016 can kiss my arse.

Edit in:

Last edited by Thang-y on 30 Dec 2016, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 30 Dec 2016, 15:58

Never really liked it as a celebration. When I was younger, of course I'd head into town, pay the extra couple of quid to get into bars I wouldn't normally frequent, and mope about in the freezing cold completely unable to flag down a taxi in the wee hours. Now the tradition is that myself, fishwife and child head over to my mum and dads, where we have a Chinese, drink heavily, and play Trivial Pursuit till we get bored. Turn on the TV at 23:55, watch some cretins gurn for the camera, watch the underwhelming fireworks after Big Ben's bongs, watch 2 minutes of whichever bland muppet is playing a concert for the BBC, then head off to bed.

I feel like New Year hasn't really been New Year since Clive James stopped hosting events on TV. That was probably before I left home.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 30 Dec 2016, 16:02

I do.

My sister and I will go to my Mum's tomorrow and celebrate New Year's Eve with her. Quiet, cosy, totally hygge.

I just know it will be a wonderful get-together with the 81-year old Elly.

We'll look at old piccies (my Dad passed away in 2015), and we'll cherish all the memories.

So: no wild or not-so-wild partying, no drunkenness, just... nice.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 30 Dec 2016, 16:22

New Year's Eve is the anniversary of us getting engaged, so I like it for that.

In itself, however, I can't be arsed. Like DF, I used to go out with friends, in those halcyon days when you could get into pubs on NYE without having to pay an admission charge etc. But NYE is a big fancy dress shindig in my home town, and I ABSOLUTELY LOATHE fancy dress. This meant I never warmed to it, even when I was young and lithe. Plus, so many people seem to drink themselves into oblivion, and it all goes a bit wrong and beyond.

Plus, I'm all about Christmas. I'm happy to enjoy that.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Postby ... » 30 Dec 2016, 17:31

Never been able to get my head around the concept of people who seldom drink going out and getting trashed in the absurd hope they'll wake up and somehow find the Jan 1 world a better place than the Dec 31 one they left the night before, so no, never have and never will.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Dec 2016, 18:23

http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/man-left-horrific-facial-injuries-9537201

A retaliation is expected by the guys family. Roll on new year's eve in Dun Na Ngall. :? :(
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 30 Dec 2016, 18:26

I'll get together with the ex and the kids at her place. We just make snacky stuff and play games, but I'm usually in bed by 10 pm. Have been for years.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Postby ... » 30 Dec 2016, 19:04

The Great Defector wrote:http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/man-left-horrific-facial-injuries-9537201

A retaliation is expected by the guys family. Roll on new year's eve in Dun Na Ngall. :? :(

It's mad isn't it?

I was showing someone from the UK the splendid RTE gangland drama, Love/Hate and they were dubious of the fact that a smallish city like Dublin could have anything like the crime levels or mindless viciousness shown on screen.

Then they saw all the headlines about the Dublin gangs' routine drive-bys and retaliatory shootings on the Costa Del Crime in that Sunday's Dublin tabloids and began to understand L/H was pretty much on the money

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Dec 2016, 19:06

fueryIre wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:http://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/man-left-horrific-facial-injuries-9537201

It's mad isn't it?

I was showing someone from the UK the splendid RTE gangland drama, Love/Hate and they were dubious of the fact that a smallish city like Dublin could have anything like the crime levels or mindless viciousness shown on screen.

Then they saw all the headlines about the Dublin gangs' routine drive-bys and retaliatory shootings on the Costa Del Crime in that Sunday's Dublin tabloids and began to understand L/H was pretty much on the money

We've one of the biggest drug pushers in the world if that organization Interpol are to be believed.

Nikki Gradual
nasty, brutish and short

Postby Nikki Gradual » 30 Dec 2016, 19:25

Nope. Never enjoyed it particularly and haven't bothered at all for the last 12 years or so. There were a few good times, but that was mainly in avoiding normal celebrations by a escaping to the middle of nowhere for a couple of days with a few close friends. And the memorability of those times has nothing to do with it being NYE.
"He's thrown a kettle over a pub; what have you done?"

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 30 Dec 2016, 23:56

Well, I, my lovely wife and Asta are getting dressed up and will soon be off the the snazziest party in town. Hope you plebes enjoy your droll New Years Eves in because we're stepping out.
Question authority.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Dec 2016, 23:59

Jimbo wrote: Asta

Is Asta a Japanese name? and yes I'm prepared for abuse if it's not.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 31 Dec 2016, 00:04

The Great Defector wrote:
Jimbo wrote: Asta

Is Asta a Japanese name? and yes I'm prepared for abuse if it's not.

Asta is Nick and Nora Charles' schnauzer.
Question authority.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 31 Dec 2016, 00:08

Nuff said.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 31 Dec 2016, 08:37

I've somehow managed to end up arranging to lead 60 people up a mountain at night to view the victoria harbour new year fireworks, drink all the wine we'll carry up, then somehow lead them back down in one piece. I arranged this expecting about 10 people to sign up for it now I've had to close the sign up function to stop more people from coming. Bloody hell! :lol:

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 31 Dec 2016, 12:32

9:30 pm. Just excused myself from the table where my wife had served a typical Japanese New Years Eve dinner, oseichi. On TV is the annual Kohaku music competition between the white team - female acts, and the red team - males. Who will win? The tension is making me drowsy. At midnight they will air the ringing of the great gongs in temples from all over the country. And then there will be a live performance from Southern All Stars, easily the most durable rock band in Japan. They are really great.
Question authority.

bye

Postby bye » 31 Dec 2016, 18:15

There's an Albanian tradition where you are supposed to have a huge poo on 31/12.This comes after eating a large evening meal,the meal brings it on.It is a way of "seeing off " the previous year.

So I will do that,and then go to bed.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 31 Dec 2016, 22:38

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Return to “Nextdoorland”